QB Sneak

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: QB Sneak

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. I think it's unquestionable that Davidson had more talent to work with than Sparano does. Specifically with the injuries he's had to deal with.
Cliff, the line absolutely stunk from day one this season, when they delivered an embarrassing performance. It was supposedly upgraded from last year's line by the addition of Boone and Smith but at no point has it actually looked better, even when all 5 projected starters were playing. If we'd seen a decline due to injuries alone I think the "blood from a turnip" argument would carry more weight but it's been ugly from the start. At no point have I seen any indication that Sparano is doing an adequate job or that he's been an upgrade over Davidson (and I didn't think Davidson was a terrific OL coach by any means).

Do any of the players who were on the line last season appear to be improved at all? Do Fusco, Berger or Clemmings look better or worse? Has a single issue we saw with the line early in the season been resolved?

I know Sparano is dealing with a banged up unit but I just don't see anything to suggest he's made a positive difference.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: Cliff, the line absolutely stunk from day one this season, when they delivered an embarrassing performance. It was supposedly upgraded from last year's line by the addition of Boone and Smith but at no point has it actually looked better, even when all 5 projected starters were playing. If we'd seen a decline due to injuries alone I think the "blood from a turnip" argument would carry more weight but it's been ugly from the start. At no point have I seen any indication that Sparano is doing an adequate job or that he's been an upgrade over Davidson (and I didn't think Davidson was a terrific OL coach by any means).

Do any of the players who were on the line last season appear to be improved at all? Do Fusco, Berger or Clemmings look better or worse? Has a single issue we saw with the line early in the season been resolved?

I know Sparano is dealing with a banged up unit but I just don't see anything to suggest he's made a positive difference.
I don't see anything to suggest he's made a positive or negative difference. It's hard to tell what he's done exactly with the group he has. Likewise I think it's difficult to grade him based on the group he has.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:I don't see anything to suggest he's made a positive or negative difference. It's hard to tell what he's done exactly with the group he has. Likewise I think it's difficult to grade him based on the group he has.
That's why I wrote "I don't know how much of that is on him" after saying his OL has been a disaster. :)
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: That's why I wrote "I don't know how much of that is on him" after saying his OL has been a disaster. :)
Gotcha. The part "the line appears to have taken a serious step backward since the firing of Davidson" implied (to me) that Davidson's departure was a significant reason for the offensive line being bad. I now see you were more using it as a time marker and him leaving *may* be one of the reasons.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote: Gotcha. The part "the line appears to have taken a serious step backward since the firing of Davidson" implied (to me) that Davidson's departure was a significant reason for the offensive line being bad. I now see you were more using it as a time marker and him leaving *may* be one of the reasons.

Exactly. Sorry, I could have made the point more clearly.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

YikesVikes wrote:
The issue would still persist. It is not making the initial block but sustaining them. That's the biggest issue. By the time CP or JK gets to the line, he will be blown up. The QB sneak works great because it is an instant play; snap and you are directly moving forward.
My suggestion was to use JK as the QB. He ran the triple option in college so he's comfortable taking a snap under center.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

You cant judge a coach until he has NFL grade players....we dont have that. I would be far more concerned about Spielman dealing and drafting some real players before I start juggling coaches. The lack of talent size and speed is blatant. The coaching question is far more nebulous.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

chicagopurple wrote:You cant judge a coach until he has NFL grade players....we dont have that. I would be far more concerned about Spielman dealing and drafting some real players before I start juggling coaches. The lack of talent size and speed is blatant. The coaching question is far more nebulous.
It is but the juggling is already underway and that's often a bad sign. When the OC resigns mid-season, that's definitely a bad sign.

The Vikings ship is taking on water. Fast.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Lots of Qb sneaks to night.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Mothman wrote: It is but the juggling is already underway and that's often a bad sign. When the OC resigns mid-season, that's definitely a bad sign.

The Vikings ship is taking on water. Fast.
So much so that the bailing buckets have holes in them.
But that is what happens when you don't build the team from the inside out. Thanks Rick, you bunghole!
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

CbusVikesFan wrote: So much so that the bailing buckets have holes in them.
But that is what happens when you don't build the team from the inside out. Thanks Rick, you bunghole!
We had a former top 5 pick at LT, A top flight Center, and a former 2nd round pick at RT. I would say we didn't have much to invest in the OL.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Still not 1 QB sneak. It is borderline insanity what we keep doing on these 3rd and 1s. It doesn't work. This game should have been over with early in the 3rd quarter but because we can't seem to pick up 1 yard when we need it, we end up in a battle. Just line up and QB sneak the damn ball. Every good team does it, Rodgers, Brady, Even Manning had a QB sneak from time to time. We keep giving it to Matt and are baffled when he keeps getting stuffed. It's been all season long. Enough is enough!
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

YikesVikes wrote:Still not 1 QB sneak. It is borderline insanity what we keep doing on these 3rd and 1s. It doesn't work. This game should have been over with early in the 3rd quarter but because we can't seem to pick up 1 yard when we need it, we end up in a battle. Just line up and QB sneak the damn ball. Every good team does it, Rodgers, Brady, Even Manning had a QB sneak from time to time. We keep giving it to Matt and are baffled when he keeps getting stuffed. It's been all season long. Enough is enough!
We've been doing the same thing for years with Peterson, its just that he occassionally made the end zone. But even he often wouldn't. We need more rollouts in those situations. It actually works.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

We should also try a QB draw or roll out when we are at the goal line. It would have caught Jacksonville totally off guard.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Maybe line up Cordarrelle Patterson under center for a QB sneak... Bradford has chicken legs.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida