This team is a mess

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

This team is a mess

Post by mosscarter »

We currently have no first round draft pick, and drafted a total apparent bust as a wr, and now our defense doesn't want to even show up. We will be lucky to win 2 more games and I honestly couldn't care less anymore about this season, because it is shot. How can anyone expect a qb to perform behind an offensive line like this? Michael Vick as a rookie would have been murdered behind this disgrace of an offensive line. But more to the point, I've been a big Zimmer fan, but now I'm not so sure. You cannot have such a disconnect between the offense and defense. There has to be more of a balanced attack and I honestly don't think he understands that, or hasn't put in the proper personal to make that happen. Norv sucked, everyone knows that, but how much better is his replacement? These are the questions we need to be asking.
joe h
Veteran

Re: This team is a mess

Post by joe h »

Don't forget, we also brought in a qb in that ate most of our cap space, who is now useless since the rest of the team turned to crap. They cannot fix this mess if they wanted to.
Hopefully spielman is out the door. Wr was the last position requiring a first round pick last year. He has never addressed the line issues, never brought in a capable back up, or at least a prospect, which led to the awful Bradford deal, and didn't address the Walsh issue. But there is always next season.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

This years draft has to be one of the worst in the history of the NFL. I blame Speilman fully.

1st pick : Treadwell WR. He has the same number of catches this year as our starting QB, Nuff said
2nd pick : Alexander CB. He looks completely over matched in every facet of the game when he is in there.
3rd pick : Beavers OL. Is he off the team?
4th pick : Kentrell Brothers. Atleast he is contributing on special teams.....
5th pick : Boehringer. Terrible pick IMO
6th pick : David Morgan................................................................
7th pick : Stephen Weatherly Is he on the team?
8th pick : Jayron Kearse... I had hopes for this kid but he has looked terrible. Takes bad angles and has bad instincts and tackling.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Norv Zimmer wrote:This years draft has to be one of the worst in the history of the NFL. I blame Speilman fully.

1st pick : Treadwell WR. He has the same number of catches this year as our starting QB, Nuff said
2nd pick : Alexander CB. He looks completely over matched in every facet of the game when he is in there.
6th pick : David Morgan................................................................
8th pick : Jayron Kearse... I had hopes for this kid but he has looked terrible. Takes bad angles and has bad instincts and tackling.
1) It's been 10 games
2) You have downplayed the accomplishments of several of the rookies. For example Alexander played after rhodes came out and we gave up nothing but FGs. It is known that Zimmer runs a tight defensive scheme and rookies struggle to get it. Waynes looked terrible last season for stretches and now he has relaxed some.

3) I never liked the Beavers pick but he was a 4th rounder.
Morgan has been banged up.

Saying this is the worst rookie class because several of the players aren't contributing on a Vet heavy team is silly.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

Like Joe mentioned above we are facing a major financial problem next year too. Bradford's contract and Peterson's? Say what you will about Peterson, but look at the running game without him. So we have no first round pick, may need a running back, and basically an entire offensive line things don't look very promising. I'm not sure how you get all of these things in one off season. I just hope Bradford isn't the next one carted off.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Maybe we can move up in the draft or one of these guys will fall to us in the 2nd.
Fournette
Chubb
Dalvin Cook
I Kinda like D'Onta Foreman from Texas 6'1" 245 pounds.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQvyEG-Dc3s
I don't want Mcaffery, I dont think he has the body type to be a RB in the NFL.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

mosscarter wrote:Like Joe mentioned above we are facing a major financial problem next year too. Bradford's contract and Peterson's? Say what you will about Peterson, but look at the running game without him. So we have no first round pick, may need a running back, and basically an entire offensive line things don't look very promising. I'm not sure how you get all of these things in one off season. I just hope Bradford isn't the next one carted off.
Peterson has to be let go if he refuses to take a pay cut. Extend Sam for 2 years and toss a crap load of money at the oline. Invest draft picks too. We have to become atleast average on the oline.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Norv Zimmer wrote:This years draft has to be one of the worst in the history of the NFL. I blame Speilman fully.

This is laughable. So Treadwell is a bust because he hasnt played much yet? And so is Alexander because of how he played in his first bit of action recently? And you're criticizing a 7th round pick saying he looks terrible?

Sooooo where do I start? lol. I really dont even want to get into this because you are clearly in panic mode and are looking for someone to blame. So all I will really say is......

Trae Waynes. My guess is you were one of the guys last year saying "He's a bust, he looks terrible, he cant even get on the field", etc. I'll let you re-think and you can get back to me anytime :)
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: This is laughable. So Treadwell is a bust because he hasnt played much yet? And so is Alexander because of how he played in his first bit of action recently? And you're criticizing a 7th round pick saying he looks terrible?

Sooooo where do I start? lol. I really dont even want to get into this because you are clearly in panic mode and are looking for someone to blame. So all I will really say is......

Trae Waynes. My guess is you were one of the guys last year saying "He's a bust, he looks terrible, he cant even get on the field", etc. I'll let you re-think and you can get back to me anytime :)
Yes, I am saying Treadwell is looking like a bust because he hasnt played much. It seems to me that him not playing much IS HIS FAULT! If he can't beat out Charles Johnson or any one of our WR when he is healthy then I would say he is looking like a bust.

And no I am not in panic mode, and looking for someone to blame.... I thought I put the blame on Speilman.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Peterson has to be let go if he refuses to take a pay cut. Extend Sam for 2 years and toss a crap load of money at the oline. Invest draft picks too. We have to become atleast average on the oline.
I say you almost have to let go AP. You have to extend Bradford as well. If we dont extend Sam we could end up with the possibility of starting off with Hill or some backup next year until Teddy gets back.....IF Teddy gets back. AP would have to take a major major pay cut. I love the RB class coming up. Lot of big time talent. Very similar to the class of a few years ago with Gordon, Gurley, Johnson, Coleman, Ajayi, Jones, etc.

It would suck seeing AP walk but its something we are going to have to do I think. Or if possible, which I doubt, trade him for a decent OL.

As much as some won't want to hear this, we need to take a step back from drafting defensive players this year. Get some depth late in the draft but honestly, I want OL, OL, RB....in any specific order. That is how our top 3 picks should go. Remember guys, we have nobody leaving on this defense next year. We lose Greenway to retirement but I think Lamur is a better option already to begin with. We have no major holes to really fill on this defense. Sendejo isnt ticking me off as much this year like he usually does. That's more Asiata and Blair Walsh
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Norv Zimmer wrote: Yes, I am saying Treadwell is looking like a bust because he hasnt played much. It seems to me that him not playing much IS HIS FAULT! If he can't beat out Charles Johnson or any one of our WR when he is healthy then I would say he is looking like a bust.

And no I am not in panic mode, and looking for someone to blame.... I thought I put the blame on Speilman.
Waynes isnt a bust and he didnt play much at all last year, nor did he look good in action. So answer me that? Yeah and by putting the blame on Spielman falls under the category of "looking for someone to blame".

Let me guess, you're going to blame him for not taking an OL in the first round right?? Well did you know that there was 1 offensive tackle that went between our pick at 23 and the beginning of the 3rd round?? As for Alexander, if I recall correctly, Munnerlyn is in a contract year and Newman is a year or two max away from retiring. Say we dont pick Alexander in the 2nd. What do we do next year if Newman retires and Munnerlyn walks???? Start Jabari Price in the slot??

You actually have to look into the reasoning behind these picks and the way Zimmer works with his high draft picks. Not just come out and practically say "Wow they all suck and Spielman is an idiot, what could he have possibly been thinking".
-Chazz Palminteri
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I say you almost have to let go AP. You have to extend Bradford as well. If we dont extend Sam we could end up with the possibility of starting off with Hill or some backup next year until Teddy gets back.....IF Teddy gets back. AP would have to take a major major pay cut. I love the RB class coming up. Lot of big time talent. Very similar to the class of a few years ago with Gordon, Gurley, Johnson, Coleman, Ajayi, Jones, etc.

It would suck seeing AP walk but its something we are going to have to do I think. Or if possible, which I doubt, trade him for a decent OL.

As much as some won't want to hear this, we need to take a step back from drafting defensive players this year. Get some depth late in the draft but honestly, I want OL, OL, RB....in any specific order. That is how our top 3 picks should go. Remember guys, we have nobody leaving on this defense next year. We lose Greenway to retirement but I think Lamur is a better option already to begin with. We have no major holes to really fill on this defense. Sendejo isnt ticking me off as much this year like he usually does. That's more Asiata and Blair Walsh
The only way we don't release AP is if he takes significantly less money. I think they will see how Teddy is coming along before they extend Sam. I can't see any team trading for AP considering his contract, he would have to reduce it before the trade I think.

Any way you look at it I am scared for next year this team has too many holes and too little draft picks to fill them. We also have very little cap space to help fill the holes.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Norv Zimmer wrote: Any way you look at it I am scared for next year this team has too many holes and too little draft picks to fill them. We also have very little cap space to help fill the holes.
Disagree again. They have holes on the offensive side. I wouldnt say on the defensive side. Also, we have 2 third round picks and 2 fourth round picks next year. You're just saying we have "too little draft picks" because we dont have a first. Our draft next year looks like:

2nd
3rd
3rd (via Miami)
4th
4th (via Miami)
5th
6th
7th
-Chazz Palminteri
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

This is laughable. So Treadwell is a bust because he hasnt played much yet? And so is Alexander because of how he played in his first bit of action recently? And you're criticizing a 7th round pick saying he looks terrible?

Trae Waynes. My guess is you were one of the guys last year saying "He's a bust, he looks terrible, he cant even get on the field", etc. I'll let you re-think and you can get back to me anytime :)[/quote]

Yes, I am saying Treadwell is looking like a bust because he hasnt played much. It seems to me that him not playing much IS HIS FAULT! If he can't beat out Charles Johnson or any one of our WR when he is healthy then I would say he is looking like a bust.

And no I am not in panic mode, and looking for someone to blame.... I thought I put the blame on Speilman.[/quote]

Waynes isnt a bust and he didnt play much at all last year, nor did he look good in action. So answer me that? Yeah and by putting the blame on Spielman falls under the category of "looking for someone to blame".

Let me guess, you're going to blame him for not taking an OL in the first round right?? Well did you know that there was 1 offensive tackle that went between our pick at 23 and the beginning of the 3rd round?? As for Alexander, if I recall correctly, Munnerlyn is in a contract year and Newman is a year or two max away from retiring. Say we dont pick Alexander in the 2nd. What do we do next year if Newman retires and Munnerlyn walks???? Start Jabari Price in the slot??

You actually have to look into the reasoning behind these picks and the way Zimmer works with his high draft picks. Not just come out and practically say "Wow they all suck and Spielman is an idiot, what could he have possibly been thinking".[/quote]

I wasn't talking about Waynes, but since you bring him up would you really call him a success I don't, not yet anyway.

Yeah and by putting the blame on Spielman falls under the category of "looking for someone to blame".
How can I be looking for someone to blame when clearly I put the blame on somebody?

I can have a opinion on the high draft picks, especially when you see other rookie receivers having success and contributing on their teams.
Michael Thomas, Tajae Sharpe, Will Fuller, Sterling Shepard, Tyler Boyd, Corey Coleman are all having decent seasons at receiver. If these guys can contribute and Treadwell can't I have to believe that the fault is on Treadwell.

You don't have to agree with me on this, but to say I am flat out laughable and wrong for thinking this way is pretty laughable by yourself.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Rename this thread "Panic Room." :lol: