View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:35 pm



Reply to topic  [ 534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9 
Author Message
Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:02 pm
Posts: 212
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
Norv Zimmer wrote:
Packers look pretty bad against possibly the worst defense in the league.


I watched the PITIFUL Rams offense run through the Lions D IN Detriot, then I watched the 85' Bears D, er I mean today's Lions D stifle the Vikings....


Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:46 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:34 am
Posts: 980
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
i have to go against you on this one mothman. walsh is a very inconsistent kicker and he cost us points earlier in the season, but we happened to win so it got swept under the rug. remember week one against tennessee? i don't even need to mention last year's playoff game, but i will because it was a kick that most kickers make. i gave him the benefit of the doubt, being the temperature was around 0 degrees. he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore. he deserves to be released. his confidence is clearly shot he needs a fresh start somewhere else.


Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:52 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
mosscarter wrote:
i have to go against you on this one mothman. walsh is a very inconsistent kicker and he cost us points earlier in the season, but we happened to win so it got swept under the rug. remember week one against tennessee? i don't even need to mention last year's playoff game, but i will because it was a kick that most kickers make. i gave him the benefit of the doubt, being the temperature was around 0 degrees. he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore. he deserves to be released. his confidence is clearly shot he needs a fresh start somewhere else.



You're not going against my views with any of those statements. :) As I said earlier, I think he's played himself out of a job if they can find a replacement who's actually better.

I was simply arguing against the notion that he was the reason the Vikings lost today when it seems clear to me that they lost for a variety of reasons. For example, their red zone efficiency continues to be a serious problem.


Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:21 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:56 am
Posts: 5606
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
I don't understand the years long problem with red zone efficiency. We are presently 28th out of 32 for red zone possessions ending in touchdowns at 44 percent.

Ratings for Last 5 Years/TD Efficiency

28th
27th
16th
18th
18th

We are in the Bottom 5 of the league in back to back seasons. This is a Long term problem and for God's sake, it needs more focus. We shouldn't be punting and going for field goals all the time.

Just look at TDs overall. The Zimmer years are shaking up to be the worst of the decade TD wise.


Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:36 pm
Profile
Rookie

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:02 pm
Posts: 41
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
Hunter Morrow wrote:
I don't understand the years long problem with red zone efficiency. We are presently 28th out of 32 for red zone possessions ending in touchdowns at 44 percent.

Ratings for Last 5 Years/TD Efficiency

28th
27th
16th
18th
18th

We are in the Bottom 5 of the league in back to back seasons. This is a Long term problem and for God's sake, it needs more focus. We shouldn't be punting and going for field goals all the time.

Just look at TDs overall. The Zimmer years are shaking up to be the worst of the decade TD wise.

You are right. Two red zone trips give us 0 points. There is just no excuse for that. O line is to blame with penalties and lack of protection and lack of blocking. So as another poster said there is plenty of blame to go around, but most of it Still remains on the offense and special teams.

I was pleased that we moved the ball but it was against the lions so it's hard to get too excited yet.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk


Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:08 pm
Profile
Starter
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:22 pm
Posts: 146
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
Heading to Washington next week to see my first Vikes game. Maybe I can bring them some good luck, or bad luck..? :roll: Skol

_________________
It's a great day to be great


Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:11 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm
Posts: 1544
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
#Vikings had 337 total yards today in regulation in Pat Shurmur debut. Not bad.
Stefon Diggs hauled in a franchise-record 13 catches in today's contest.

Long looks like he is improving.

Linval Joseph said he lined up in the backfield "a pretty good bit" at East Carolina. His only college carry was for one yard in 2009.


Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:22 pm
Profile
Online
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6350
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
Mothman wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
You're using laugh emojis. You're calling those of us who are mad at Walsh "people who need to find a scapegoat." That's pretty condescending, my friend.


I'll concede that the laugh emoji was unnecessary.

I wasn't trying to be condescending when I referred to people determinedly making one player the scapegoat for the loss as people demonstrating a clear desire to find a scapegoat. I thought I was simply stating the obvious. I certainly wasn't calling anybody an idiot. You put those words in my mouth.

Quote:
Some of us are simply saying that if Blair Walsh does his one job, which is to make kicks, a lot of this discussion could be moot. And I refuse to assign a lion's share of the blame to defensive players who, for the most part, played an excellent game. Who are required to chase receivers all over the field, and tackle big tight ends, and rush the passer down after down. Players who who will barely be able to walk until sometime on Tuesday. I find it difficult to assign more blame to guys like that than to a kicker who does one thing all week, on the safety and comfort of a side field.

If that makes me a person who needs a scapegoat and is thus worthy of being laughed at, then I guess I plead guilty.


That sounds more like sarcasm than an admission of "guilt" but I'll take it. :)

I don't think it's asking too much to ask people to acknowledge the rather obvious reality that a single one-point play didn't cost the Vikings a 60+ minute game in which the final score was 22-16. If it is, then perhaps I just don't understand what it is we're doing on this board.

I could go on but I have a feeling I'm fighting a losing battle here.

Have a nice evening.

I think as people have calmed, the game is being analyzed more thoroughly than in the beginning. The initial reaction -- completely justified, in my opinion -- was to be angry at Walsh. While I completely acknowledge that other factors contributed to the loss, it doesn't change the fact that Walsh played yet another very poor game.

Let me put it another way ...

Blair Walsh was out there for four kickoffs, two field goal attempts, and two extra point attempts, which means he took the field for eight plays. He failed to do his job on three of those instances. That's a really bad percentage, and far worse than Xavier Rhodes or Harrison Smith or anyone else.

So yes, there is blame to go around. But Blair Walsh has to take a big percentage of it. And because this is now a 3-year trend, he's pretty much kicked himself out of a job. To your credit, you've agreed with that assessment. I just think the visceral reaction is understandable, even justified. I don't know how anyone can blame a fanbase for being mad at a kicker who played such a large role in costing his team yet another game.

_________________
Image


Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:45 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
TSonn wrote:
The entire game plan has to change when Walsh misses an XP. As the team stands right now, they don't have the ability to make up for his errors. Sure, if the entire team was healthy and we weren't treading water on offense a missed XP might not change our game plan much, but that's clearly not the case.


I missed this earlier but I thought I'd respond now.

I agree: the missed point meant the team had to play from behind, which is different than playing with the score tied. That impacts decisions. However, that's essentially the point I was trying to make earlier. The missed XP changed the dynamics of the game but that wasn't just true for the Vikings and that's why a missed XP in the 3rd quarter can't be singled out as the sole deciding factor. The Vikes were trailing and that undoubtedly had some impact on their strategy. By the same token the Lions were leading and that naturally had an impact on their approach. If Walsh had made the extra point, that would have had an impact on how the teams called subsequent plays, which means we can't assume the rest of the game would have played out as it actually did today. Each situation in a game leads to the next so changing that one play and changing the score would have had a "butterfly effect" and led to a different set of outcomes.


Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:52 pm
Profile
Transition Player

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:39 pm
Posts: 348
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
Outside of the X's and O's, I'm very big into the demeanor and confidence of football. I believe those things tell a lot about a team. What I saw last week was a team who was "out-efforted" in the loss to the bears. What I saw today out of mike zimmer was troubling. During the first 5 games, zimmer seemed totally in control, even when he was yelling and being his usual intense self. These last few games and especially today, the look on his face was not one that instilled much confidence in me. That isn't to say I don't believe he is a good coach. I love him and I'm thrilled we have him after a string of bad coaches.

That being said, every time they showed him on today's telecast, he looked lost, not in control and not very confident. He totally butchered things by calling that timeout way too soon. That, more than anything IMO, cost the win today. I get the feeling that he's lost the confidence he had early on and it looks like he doesn't have any answers as to how to stop this mess. It seems to have bled onto the defensive unit as well. Rushing 3 guys on the final series of regulation with a kicker who can hit from 60 yards out was a recipe for disaster. I don't know what's going on with him, but I hope he can turn it around. I really like him but all the confidence and gusto seems to be out of his sails. Just my two cents.


Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:56 pm
Profile
Transition Player

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:39 pm
Posts: 348
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
Mothman wrote:
TSonn wrote:
The entire game plan has to change when Walsh misses an XP. As the team stands right now, they don't have the ability to make up for his errors. Sure, if the entire team was healthy and we weren't treading water on offense a missed XP might not change our game plan much, but that's clearly not the case.


I missed this earlier but I thought I'd respond now.

I agree: the missed point meant the team had to play from behind, which is different than playing with the score tied. That impacts decisions. However, that's essentially the point I was trying to make earlier. The missed XP changed the dynamics of the game but that wasn't just true for the Vikings and that's why a missed XP in the 3rd quarter can't be singled out as the sole deciding factor. The Vikes were trailing and that undoubtedly had some impact on their strategy. By the same token the Lions were leading and that naturally had an impact on their approach. If Walsh had made the extra point, that would have had an impact on how the teams called subsequent plays, which means we can't assume the rest of the game would have played out as it actually did today. Each situation in a game leads to the next so changing that one play and changing the score would have had a "butterfly effect" and led to a different set of outcomes.


The worst part about missing the xps, aside from the obvious loss of points, is that it essentially cuts the momentum that should be gained by scoring. The lions probably felt that they had dodged a bullet despite giving up the TD. This game is all about momentum and there is nothing more deflating for a team that has struggled to score points than leaving points on the field.

One thing is sure, Walsh will not be on this team next year. You simply can't leave points on the field when so many NFL games are decided by 7 points or less. I give the Vikings credit for giving him another chance. Some teams may have cut him after the playoff miss, but they apparently believed enough in his body of work to give him another shot. Today was the first time this year he cost us immensely. I feel for him, it's got to be hell to deal with what he's going through. But it can't go on much longer.


Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:03 pm
Profile
Transition Player

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:39 pm
Posts: 348
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
Too many pages to read through so I apologize if this has been mentioned, but my god, the secondary play was atrocious today. There were at least 3 or 4 blatant PI/holding calls that should gone against the Vikings but weren't called. Is that what qualifies as defending a pass on our team anymore? To just hold and mug the receiver? That's hard to believe with a guy like zimmer coaching the defense. How many 3rd down conversions did the lions have in OT? That was like watching the pre zimmer 3rd down defense.


Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:13 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I think as people have calmed, the game is being analyzed more thoroughly than in the beginning. The initial reaction -- completely justified, in my opinion -- was to be angry at Walsh. While I completely acknowledge that other factors contributed to the loss, it doesn't change the fact that Walsh played yet another very poor game.


No, it doesn't but that wasn't really in question.

Quote:
Let me put it another way ...

Blair Walsh was out there for four kickoffs, two field goal attempts, and two extra point attempts, which means he took the field for eight plays. He failed to do his job on three of those instances. That's a really bad percentage, and far worse than Xavier Rhodes or Harrison Smith or anyone else.

So yes, there is blame to go around. But Blair Walsh has to take a big percentage of it.


Sure, I think he takes the percentage that's appropriate for those plays and their impact on the game. However, the game wasn't defined by those plays so there really is plenty of blame to go around, which is the point I was making from the start. The offense has to take their percentage of the blame for coming away with no points at all on 2 red zone possessions. That's a loss of between 6 and 16 potential points and at least as significant as the cost of Walsh's mistakes. The defense has to take their share of the blame for allowing the Lions to go on a nearly 10 minute, 84 yard scoring drive to close out the first half and a 23 second scoring drive to send the game to OT, followed by an 87 yard TD drive to win the game on the first and only possession of OT! That was a poor finish by the defense.

Quote:
And because this is now a 3-year trend, he's pretty much kicked himself out of a job. To your credit, you've agreed with that assessment. I just think the visceral reaction is understandable, even justified. I don't know how anyone can blame a fanbase for being mad at a kicker who played such a large role in costing his team yet another game.


I didn't blame anybody for being mad at Walsh today. Heck, I was mad at Walsh today. I never said anger toward him for his performance was unjustified. What I was arguing against was the idea that he was the reason they lost, that this wasn't a team loss but a loss that rested solely on Walsh's shoulders.


Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:15 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
tmscr wrote:
The worst part about missing the xps, aside from the obvious loss of points, is that it essentially cuts the momentum that should be gained by scoring. The lions probably felt that they had dodged a bullet despite giving up the TD. This game is all about momentum and there is nothing more deflating for a team that has struggled to score points than leaving points on the field.


That's true and probably impacts momentum even more when that missed point is the difference between a tie and a lead.

Quote:
One thing is sure, Walsh will not be on this team next year. You simply can't leave points on the field when so many NFL games are decided by 7 points or less. I give the Vikings credit for giving him another chance. Some teams may have cut him after the playoff miss, but they apparently believed enough in his body of work to give him another shot. Today was the first time this year he cost us immensely. I feel for him, it's got to be hell to deal with what he's going through. But it can't go on much longer.


I think you're right that this will be his last year with the team. He'd probably have to be perfect for the remainder of the season to save his job at this point (if it can even be saved).


Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:18 pm
Profile
Transition Player

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:39 pm
Posts: 348
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
Mothman wrote:
tmscr wrote:
The worst part about missing the xps, aside from the obvious loss of points, is that it essentially cuts the momentum that should be gained by scoring. The lions probably felt that they had dodged a bullet despite giving up the TD. This game is all about momentum and there is nothing more deflating for a team that has struggled to score points than leaving points on the field.


That's true and probably impacts momentum even more when that missed point is the difference between a tie and a lead.

Quote:
One thing is sure, Walsh will not be on this team next year. You simply can't leave points on the field when so many NFL games are decided by 7 points or less. I give the Vikings credit for giving him another chance. Some teams may have cut him after the playoff miss, but they apparently believed enough in his body of work to give him another shot. Today was the first time this year he cost us immensely. I feel for him, it's got to be hell to deal with what he's going through. But it can't go on much longer.


I think you're right that this will be his last year with the team. He'd probably have to be perfect for the remainder of the season to save his job at this point (if it can even be saved).


The absolute worst thing to happen to Blair Walsh was the new extra point rule. It go into his head and shattered his confidence, and its seeped into every other facet of the kicking game. That kick that was blocked was probably going to be wide left by 50 feet. His post game comments are pretty indicative of his mental state, IMO. It's too bad we are terrible with 3 or less yards to go, as we would probably just ditch the XP kick if things somehow get even worse.


Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:23 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:45 am
Posts: 1269
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
anyone who thinks this loss is mostly due to a kicker and "biased refs" is delusional. Our tackling is slipping back into the pre-Zimmer era. There were waaay too many YAC plays today. Our defensive play calling in crunch time was cowardly and exactly the kind of defense that Stafford loves. We STILL are running predictable vannilla runs up the middle, delay runs etc esp on 1st down. These last 2 weeks are TEAM losses. There is no easy answers. There is no one to fire and thereby right the ship. We are simply NOT a top notch team. We dont have the talent, especially on the front lines.....not just OL either....what did we have today, 1 sack and a miserable number of hurries? As has been obvious for years, we must replace our OL. We have too very iffy prospects for QB. And our OC is not yet clearly sufficient......The BEars and Lions are crappy teams, and they just stole our lunch. This time AT HOME.


Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:41 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4404
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
chicagopurple wrote:
anyone who thinks this loss is mostly due to a kicker and "biased refs" is delusional. Our tackling is slipping back into the pre-Zimmer era. There were waaay too many YAC plays today. Our defensive play calling in crunch time was cowardly and exactly the kind of defense that Stafford loves. We STILL are running predictable vannilla runs up the middle, delay runs etc esp on 1st down. These last 2 weeks are TEAM losses. There is no easy answers. There is no one to fire and thereby right the ship. We are simply NOT a top notch team. We dont have the talent, especially on the front lines.....not just OL either....what did we have today, 1 sack and a miserable number of hurries? As has been obvious for years, we must replace our OL. We have too very iffy prospects for QB. And our OC is not yet clearly sufficient......The BEars and Lions are crappy teams, and they just stole our lunch. This time AT HOME.


Well I believe Walsh cost us that game so I guess I'm delusional. You can pick apart any game and say "what we could've done better". But bottom line is, he missed an extra point that would've put us up by 4 in the end. If that extra point is made, this team wins. It wasn't. If it was a rare miss for him, then so be it. But this is becoming a regular thing. This defense can't hold up forever. He was bound to cost us a game and probably more until he is let go. It's a damn extra point for gods sake!!! Inside, with no wind, no pressure, at home. Pathetic. Did we play great? No but this defense held up enough where we could've definitely won. But when they are constantly put into bad spots, they are bound to break at some point. That overtime doesn't even exist if Walsh does his damn job. Simple as that

_________________
Image


Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:03 am
Profile
Starter

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:22 am
Posts: 190
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
Chalk up another loss on the leg of Walsh.

Call me delusional, also. He makes an xp there is no OT. Blocked field goal was terrible. Yes should have taken the points on the four yard line or whatever, but who knows if he can make that. Iirc it was on the side he doesn't like.

He has become so unreliable I EXPECT him to miss any and all FGhe attempts

Offense looked a tad better with quicker throws keeping Bradford clean, for the most part.

I'm done watching this team until Walsh is cut. Tired of seeing a guy who has ONE job absolutely blow it, week after week, for the whole team.

Nothing but red zone on sundays for me.

Im sure the team will notice in the ratings lol.


Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:28 am
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17481
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
In Zimmers press conference he said he thought the Defense played well. I really disagree. They got no pressure on Stafford, didn't wrap up, let many 3rd and longs get converted, and allowed another long run. I am not sure what Zimmer saw that gave him the impression that the Defense played well, but I surely want what he was smoking. The Lions also dropped some key passes that would have converted other 3rd downs.

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:33 am
Profile YIM WWW
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm
Posts: 1544
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
The most emblematic drive of the game came after a Chad Greenway interception set up Sam Bradford at the 18-yard line. From there, the Vikings proceeded to lose 22 yards and were forced to punt. It was the first time a team punted on a drive that started in the red zone since the Rams accomplished that feat in Oct. 2011. The Rams quarterback that day: Sam Bradford.


Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:07 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 pm
Posts: 1369
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
Is anyone chalking this up to a tough divisional game? I didn't have much confidence in a win yesterday. Lions are more than lukewarm and since the pack lost at home as well the Vikings are far from out of it. There is still plenty of football left to be played.

_________________
Image
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter


Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:21 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 6592
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
Third week in a row where I stopped watching the game at halftime. All were losses. I might be on to something. :lol:

Anyway, I don't really want to say much other than it looks like this team is just mailing it in. The effort is gone. The hustle on defense is gone. Fundamental football (tackling, blocking, job execution) is absent a majority of the time. Coaching wise, Zimmer is doing a poor job of making adjustment and calling plays. Quite frankly, this team deserves to have lost three in a row.

At the end of the day, it is just football. Losses just don't effect me like they used to a few years ago. It doesn't mean I am not disappointed in this team. However, life goes on, football goes on. Hopefully, this team emerges 6-3 next week.

_________________
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.


Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:24 am
Profile
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:36 pm
Posts: 280
Location: Bradford, UK
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
There were a lot of people to point fingers at, and to be honest there is no member of this team who can say they were completely blameless.
Walsh has kicked himself out of a job today. he was a fine kicker, and i expect once that confidence is back up, he'll be a welcome addition to any team. It won't be the vikings though.

Offence and O-line was much better. Just shows what changing up the playcalling to give the line and Sam a helping hand. I am excited to see what Shurmur's O can do going forward.

Defense, was better, but still lacked it's cutting edge. The stats before overtime, showed them to be very stingy. But bar Chads takeaway, we didn't do anything extraordinary, like we expect this unit to do. Plus, the lack of pressure on the QB for 3 weeks in a row is worrying. This is supposed to be a premium D-line, and they aren't getting the job done.

And the coaching left something to be desired at times. The fact that we lined up soft to allow Detroit to 30-odd yards to get to FG range i'll never understand, when the secondary have generally been so stingy.

I think overall, i am quietly confident after this showing that the ship is being turned around. This Defense will wake up and our offence is showing signs of improvement.


Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:28 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
PurpleMustReign wrote:
In Zimmers press conference he said he thought the Defense played well. I really disagree. They got no pressure on Stafford, didn't wrap up, let many 3rd and longs get converted, and allowed another long run. I am not sure what Zimmer saw that gave him the impression that the Defense played well, but I surely want what he was smoking. The Lions also dropped some key passes that would have converted other 3rd downs.


I agree with you. It wasn't a terrible defensive performance by any means but overall, they didn't play that well. They basically collapsed and looked like the 2013 defense at the end of the game.


Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:47 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
halfgiz wrote:
The most emblematic drive of the game came after a Chad Greenway interception set up Sam Bradford at the 18-yard line. From there, the Vikings proceeded to lose 22 yards and were forced to punt. It was the first time a team punted on a drive that started in the red zone since the Rams accomplished that feat in Oct. 2011. The Rams quarterback that day: Sam Bradford.


Ouch, I didn't know Bradford was on the field for both drives. That's rough!

CbusVikesFan wrote:
Is anyone chalking this up to a tough divisional game? I didn't have much confidence in a win yesterday. Lions are more than lukewarm and since the pack lost at home as well the Vikings are far from out of it. There is still plenty of football left to be played.



I definitely consider this a tough divisional loss and we're only halfway through the season so there's time for the Vikes to get back on track. They just need to actually do it.


Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:54 am
Profile
Online
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6350
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
Mothman wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
In Zimmers press conference he said he thought the Defense played well. I really disagree. They got no pressure on Stafford, didn't wrap up, let many 3rd and longs get converted, and allowed another long run. I am not sure what Zimmer saw that gave him the impression that the Defense played well, but I surely want what he was smoking. The Lions also dropped some key passes that would have converted other 3rd downs.


I agree with you, It wasn't a terrible defensive performance by any means but overall, they didn't play that well. They basically collapsed and looked like the 2013 defense at the end of the game.

My take on the defense is that they actually were excellent until the final FG drive and overtime. The Lions had only scored one touchdown to that point, on that strange (maddening) 10-minute drive to end the first half. In the second half, our defense dominated. We allowed only 8 total yards in the second half until there was 7:37 to play. Until the final FG drive, the Lions had gained less than 200 yards for the game, with two first downs and 31 total yards in the entire half.

Then, suddenly and inexplicably with 23 seconds to play, the defense fell apart. That's what's baffling to me. It was a total collapse out of nowhere. They couldn't have been gassed ... the Vikings dominated time of possession in the second half. They just fell apart. They stopped tackling well. They stopped covering well. They couldn't get close to Stafford.

Sure hope Zimmer figures out what the heck happened and does something to keep it from happening again.

_________________
Image


Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:22 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
From Peter King's column today:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/11/07/oakl ... ton-week-9

Quote:
My favorite scene of the weekend, though, came at a tense time in Minneapolis, and is a huge reason why the Lions passed Green Bay and moved to within a half-game of the slumping Vikings in the NFC North on Sunday. And there’s a very good chance you have no idea it even happened.

Two seconds. Jim Caldwell got two seconds added to the clock in the game’s 58th minute, and two seconds turned out to be an eternity for Detroit. Two seconds gave the Lions life at the end of the fourth quarter.

TV didn’t catch it. Nobody caught it. The key people in the game didn’t know about it, not even three-and-a-half hours after it was over.


There's quite a bit more at the link. King goes through the whole scenario and I found it very interesting, even though the end of the game didn't play out in the Vikings favor.


Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:30 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:45 am
Posts: 1269
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
the defense showed horrible tackling technique yesterday. Its like they forgot everything they learned the last few years.
Zim would love to pretend that the Defense wasn't a problem yesterday because he sees himself as the defensive coach. Trying to lay it all on the Offense is just deflecting blame since he has passed off responsibility for the offense onto other coaches but in the end he IS the guy responsible for ALL the team.....And going into a prevent shell and turtling up in the last 2 minutes of a game was simply moronic and feeble, especially against Stafford who lives on that crap.


Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:46 am
Profile
Veteran

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:54 am
Posts: 209
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
Always been top down problem with this team. Even when the pieces somehow fit together, our coaching staff lets us down. Never been fan of defensive minded coaches, because offense is simply more important in today's game, but offensive minded coaches are almost always too stubborn to realize their flaws.

Zimmer waits until 15 seconds to call a timeout, we all celebrate a hard fought, potentially season turning victory, instead of calling for Walsh's head, and watching any hope for a first round bye disappear. Hell, nothing this team is doing gives me confidence we'll win another game.

If our GM wasn't a stubborn fool and addressed the two most glaring weakness(kicking and offensive line) during the offseason, instead wasting a first round pick on another basket case receiver, we would be discussing a super bowl run. Hell, we were only a piece or two away from a perfect defense, another gator arm receiver is the last thing this team needed.

As much love as priefer gets, he forced the team to cut an average punter, and replace him with the worst punter in 40 years. When was the last time the Vikings had problems with a weak legged punter? And somehow this punter cannot even hold a damn ball right, since our once nearly rookie of the year kicker, cannot even make a damn extra point 10% of the time.

And then the injuries, I've long suspected incompetence among the conditioning staff, nutritionist, medical staff, or someone ordering the wrong shoes. We're losing way too many starters before the seasons even starts, for this to be a freak thing.


Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:24 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:17 pm
Posts: 1223
Location: St. Paul, MN
Post Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9
Mothman wrote:
From Peter King's column today:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/11/07/oakl ... ton-week-9

Quote:
My favorite scene of the weekend, though, came at a tense time in Minneapolis, and is a huge reason why the Lions passed Green Bay and moved to within a half-game of the slumping Vikings in the NFC North on Sunday. And there’s a very good chance you have no idea it even happened.

Two seconds. Jim Caldwell got two seconds added to the clock in the game’s 58th minute, and two seconds turned out to be an eternity for Detroit. Two seconds gave the Lions life at the end of the fourth quarter.

TV didn’t catch it. Nobody caught it. The key people in the game didn’t know about it, not even three-and-a-half hours after it was over.


There's quite a bit more at the link. King goes through the whole scenario and I found it very interesting, even though the end of the game didn't play out in the Vikings favor.


Meh - makes for a good story but that's about it. IMO, looked like Stafford had plenty of time to spike the ball before time ran out so he took an extra second or 2 to make sure the line was set before he spiked the ball to stop the clock. I'm sure he would have gotten the ball spiked in time even if there were 2 less seconds on the clock. Saying the 2 extra seconds added were the reason they had enough time is pretty much the same as saying if Walsh made the PAT then we definitely would have won the game.


Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:02 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: akvikingsfan, Askani1022, dead_poet, J. Kapp 11, Raptorman, Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.