View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Norv Turner Resigns as OC 
Starting Wide Receiver

Post Re: Norv Turner Resigns as OC
Texas Vike wrote:
HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/02/report-norv-turner-resigns-as-vikings-offensive-coordinator/

Quote:
The Vikings announced that Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner has resigned, and would be replaced in the interim by Pat Shurmur.

The article acts as if this were some tragedy that would set our otherwise formidable offense back. Norv had some fresh ideas in the 90s; it's 2016.

I'm glad about this news, it was due time. My guess is Zimmer and Spielman talked and decided to make this move; couldn't have been easy.

Zimmer said it surprised him when Norv told him. It is interesting timing for sure, but ultimately I think Norv realized himself that he wasn't able to keep up anymore. I hope it isn't health related.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
All Pro Elite Player

I don't know what game people were watching...the Viking games I have seen the last few weeks, Bradford had guys hanging on his arms 2 steps into his drop. He had NO time to run any plays including very short passing plays. The same was true for our run game....there were NO open holes, DBs were in the backfield almost immediately. People say they want to see screen passes, well, those take a little time to develop and the OL just cant seem to supply the 2 seconds they require. I don't think we are going to see some big improvement with a coaching change unless we have some sleepers on our developmental squad on OL.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:36 pm
Starter

Norv Zimmer wrote:
Bench Johnson, start Treadwell.

I dont get this stuff. Johnson was wide open for a TD and Bradford underthrew him Monday. Didn't he also recover a dropped put or something too?
And what has Treadwell done, ever, except drop balls?

Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:37 pm
Commissioner

Well ok. It's like replacing the engine when you had four flat tires and an empty gas tank. I wasn't a huge Norv guy but it's clear his 31st-ranked "offense" wasn't getting it done. Here's hoping for some kind of magical Schurmer improvement on Sunday (a game I'll be at!).

Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:39 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

PurpleMustReign wrote:

Zimmer said it surprised him when Norv told him. It is interesting timing for sure, but ultimately I think Norv realized himself that he wasn't able to keep up anymore. I hope it isn't health related.

Just caught the presser. Zimmer said Norv made the choice because he thought it was the best thing for him and for the team, and that his resignation wasn't due to illness.

Edit to add:
Zimmer chokes up at the end of the presser, obviously this is not an easy situation for him:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 802bc89611

Last edited by Texas Vike on Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:43 pm
Commissioner

Texas Vike wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:

Just caught the presser. Zimmer said Norv made the choice because he thought it was the best thing for him and for the team, and that his resignation wasn't due to illness.

Good. I sure didn't want Norv to be ill or anything. And it sounds fairly stand up of him to acknowledge both he and the team might be better off parting ways. I wish the guy good luck.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:45 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

dead_poet wrote:
Well ok. It's like replacing the engine when you had four flat tires and an empty gas tank. I wasn't a huge Norv guy but it's clear his 31st-ranked "offense" wasn't getting it done. Here's hoping for some kind of magical Schurmer improvement on Sunday (a game I'll be at!).

:lol:

Four flat tires, check, but I'd like to think there's still some gas in the tank. Otherwise you might as well sell those tickets!

Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:49 pm
Career Elite Player

Quote:
After Turner surprised Zimmer on Wednesday morning with his resignation, Turner told ESPN's Ed Werder, "I think it's just we have different views on where the offense was going."

Well, what the heck?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1795 ... er-resigns

Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:07 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Raptorman wrote:
So, how many games before people start calling for Shurmurs head?

Well it took three years of futility to get rid of turner so

Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:18 pm
All Pro Elite Player

PacificNorseWest wrote:
Quote:
After Turner surprised Zimmer on Wednesday morning with his resignation, Turner told ESPN's Ed Werder, "I think it's just we have different views on where the offense was going."

Well, what the heck?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1795 ... er-resigns

Zimmer wants to move the ball forward and Turner was OK staying in the same place or moving backwards?

Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:19 pm
Defensive Tackle

mansquatch wrote:
Jim, Zimmer already answered your question when he said the OL need to find it in themselves to get better. That will allow for more diversity.

... and that's exactly what I was getting at above. At some point, the problem can't simply be solved strategically. The players have to perform.

Quote:
The bigger question is can they do it? The Coaching Crucible is here. How they come out of it will determine the outcome of the season.

It's a big challenge, for coaches and players alike.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:25 pm
Fenrir

Mothman wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
chicagopurple wrote:
it still kinda sucks that the guys on the OL get paid for sucking and the OC pays the price.....and Spielman, the guy truly responsible for the whole mess is will likely go untouched.

And I've said this multiple times, people can complain about Spielman all they want but let's not forget the talent he's brought in on this roster.

Nobody's forgetting it. He's had his successes but thus far, they haven't been enough to sufficiently offset his failures.

So you feel Spielman has failed more than he has succeeded?

Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:35 pm
Fenrir

Not a fan of switching staff mid-year, especially with the team's current record but at least Shurmur has a lot of familiarity with Bradford. It will be interesting to see if we see any personnel changes, such as Treadwell on the field or Patterson (although he's been getting reps lately).

Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:40 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Can Treadwell and Patterson pass block? :nono:

Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:45 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/minn ... ign-110216

Good article breaking down how the offenses will be different.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:45 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

S197 wrote:
Not a fan of switching staff mid-year, especially with the team's current record but at least Shurmur has a lot of familiarity with Bradford. It will be interesting to see if we see any personnel changes, such as Treadwell on the field or Patterson (although he's been getting reps lately).

This isn't disagreement as I also like continuity, but the Ravens made a move like this the year they won the SB. So it can work out for the better. I wouldn't be shocked if that very circumstance had something to do with this move.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:46 pm
Defensive Tackle

S197 wrote:

I'm not keeping a tally or anything. ;) I just meant the successes haven't been enough to offset the failures (perhaps missteps would be a better choice of words?) and lead to the kind of postseason success they (and we) want to see.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:55 pm
All Pro Elite Player

halfgiz wrote:
Best wishes to Norv! But I'm happy to see him go.

Will say I'm sure it was a tough decision for Zimmer, but he had the balls to try and get things back on track :thumbsup:

Evidently it was a surprise to Zimmer - it wasn't his decision (other than to accept Norv's resignation) so don't be giving him credit for it.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:10 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I like that rumor that shurmur was calling the plays when bradford started. It would explain my question from earlier about the offense looking better the first few games bradford played when it was "dumbed down". It just seemed that way with the eye test

Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:14 pm
Commissioner

Via Josina Anderson:

Quote:
#Vikings source on why they think Norv Turner left: "You will have to ask him, but we have not been good on offense for 3 years."

Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:24 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Boon wrote:
I like that rumor that shurmur was calling the plays when bradford started. It would explain my question from earlier about the offense looking better the first few games bradford played when it was "dumbed down". It just seemed that way with the eye test

I agree and hope there is some substance to it. Lets get this train back on track

Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:36 pm
Commissioner

Hmmm...was this a good idea?

Quote:
Zimmer: "I’ve given him almost 100% free will with everything they’ve done. There’s never been a time that I demanded anything from there."

Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:46 pm
Fenrir

Mothman wrote:
S197 wrote:

I'm not keeping a tally or anything. ;) I just meant the successes haven't been enough to offset the failures (perhaps missteps would be a better choice of words?) and lead to the kind of postseason success they (and we) want to see.

Interesting take. I can't say that I agree as I think the team, in general, has improved over the last 2.5 years. I realize Spielman has been here longer than that but that's the point where he was finally able to pick his own staff. There have certainly been mistakes, no argument there, I just don't know that they offset his success.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:00 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

dead_poet wrote:
Hmmm...was this a good idea?

Quote:
Zimmer: "I’ve given him almost 100% free will with everything they’ve done. There’s never been a time that I demanded anything from there."

That would certainly lend validity to the anonymous source cited above regarding our being "bad" for 3 years on offense.

One anomaly that has never been adequately addressed was how the same offensive unit put up decent numbers in Musgrave's last year before falling into the abyss under Turner. Admittedly in 2013 the defense was one of the worst in the league which lends itself to higher yardage.

OTOH, Priefer has overall done great on ST and it is likely that he is given similar latitude while Zimmer focuses on D. So it could be that they need to find an OC who can deliver better than Turner has done. Most major businesses are structured similarly where a division head will manage the entirety of the operation while the CEO focuses on certain things. The CEO doesn't have the time to manage everything, so allowing Norv total control isn't IMO unreasonable.

We'll never know the whole story.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:10 pm
All Pro Elite Player

S197 wrote:

I would think this could be to Pattersons advantage. It also could benefit Jet and Hillman because Pat liked using the backs out of the backfield.

In 2 of the years Shurmur was with the Eagles his offense ranked 5th & 12th. Lets see what he can come up with.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:13 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I think the offense will be a lot of plays getting the ball into playmakers hands. CP84, diggs, backs, rudolph will all benefit i think. Along with the offensive line, they wont have to hold what little blocks they get as long.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:22 pm
Career Elite Player

They need to pick up the tempo of their offense. They lollygag way too much. Get Sammy in a rhythm -- dink and dunk will be fine and necessary given the abysmal state of the offensive line.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:34 pm
Hall of Famer

Take a LESSON from the Dallas Cowboys, DRAFT a good offensive line. Offense is won in the trenches, any Running back can run thru BIG holes. Almost any NFL calibre QB can tear you a new one if given time in the pocket. Offensive Philosphy HAS to start with a dominant Off. Line, Not WRs, Not TEs, Not Rbs. Go after those guys AFTER you build a dominant line. Look where the Cowboys are now, 6-1 with a Dominant line and probably heading to the SB

Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:47 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Exactly! :point:

Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:54 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Laserman wrote:
Take a LESSON from the Dallas Cowboys, DRAFT a good offensive line. Offense is won in the trenches, any Running back can run thru BIG holes. Almost any NFL calibre QB can tear you a new one if given time in the pocket. Offensive Philosphy HAS to start with a dominant Off. Line, Not WRs, Not TEs, Not Rbs. Go after those guys AFTER you build a dominant line. Look where the Cowboys are now, 6-1 with a Dominant line and probably heading to the SB

Wait til the defense flops. Cause it will. Dallas has had this good line for a while now. Only reason they are doing well is because the rest of the team is doing ok and they have a rb on pace for a 2k season. They have been drafting offensive line high for 15 years give or take and now all of a sudden its "do what dallas is doing" because of one good season rofl

Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next