Norv Turner Resigns as OC

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Norv Turner Resigns as OC

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ordinator/
The Vikings announced that Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner has resigned, and would be replaced in the interim by Pat Shurmur.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Re: Norv Turner Resigns as OC

Post by UKno1VIKING »

Ask and you'll receive.
So who's at the top of the list?
I wasn't gunning for him to go, but i must admit, i'm a lot more excited about sunday now.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Kind of sad but it badly needed to happen. I wonder if Zimmer had a conversation with Norv and this was the end result.

I don't know what Shurmur can do but I hope he can at least see the big picture, adapt the offense to play to its strengths (yes, it has some) and compensate for the weaknesses. And I hope there won't be any more pounding players into a system that doesn't fit.

If nothing else, looking ahead there is now room for a better placed offensive philosophy going into the next draft and free agency.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

it still kinda sucks that the guys on the OL get paid for sucking and the OC pays the price.....and Spielman, the guy truly responsible for the whole mess is will likely go untouched.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Someone on Reddit thought that maybe Shurmur was calling and designing the plays during Bradford's first 4 starts because of their familiarity with each other and then Norv took over on both of those duties during the bye week and clearly performed worse than Shurmur.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

TSonn wrote:Someone on Reddit thought that maybe Shurmur was calling and designing the plays during Bradford's first 4 starts because of their familiarity with each other and then Norv took over on both of those duties during the bye week and clearly performed worse than Shurmur.
That is a interesting theory.

I am excited about this, but it is about time. 3 years with the team and the offense has never improved and always been at the bottom of the league.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

TSonn wrote:Someone on Reddit thought that maybe Shurmur was calling and designing the plays during Bradford's first 4 starts because of their familiarity with each other and then Norv took over on both of those duties during the bye week and clearly performed worse than Shurmur.
Sounds more like that poster is grasping for straws trying to figure out what happened to the offense, but we can all hope it goes back to the first 4-5 weeks at least. It's an enjoyable theory because it gives hope :)
Damian
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

So, how many games before people start calling for Shurmurs head?
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

I guarantee this makes Bradford do a happy dance.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Wow.

Things clearly weren't working out with Turner as the OC but I think he was dealt a bad hand this year. As Craig suggested, I'm guessing this was a resignation prompted by a behind-the-scenes conversation rather than an entirely voluntary decision.

We'll see what Shurmur can do.

Like the Davidson-for-Sparano move, I fear this addresses a symptom rather than the underlying cause of the Vikings offensive problems but sometimes treating symptoms can lead to improvement.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

chicagopurple wrote:it still kinda sucks that the guys on the OL get paid for sucking and the OC pays the price.....and Spielman, the guy truly responsible for the whole mess is will likely go untouched.
Well, if your offensive line is weak, you stop calling for deep drops and run a few screen passes.
I'm guessing that Zim and Norv were seeing things a bit differently.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Raptorman wrote:So, how many games before people start calling for Shurmurs head?
Why wait? Fire Shurmur!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

chicagopurple wrote:it still kinda sucks that the guys on the OL get paid for sucking and the OC pays the price.....and Spielman, the guy truly responsible for the whole mess is will likely go untouched.
And I've said this multiple times, people can complain about Spielman all they want but let's not forget the talent he's brought in on this roster. You could say Carolinas GM is terrible because of their defensive backfield issue, or Seattles GM is bad for not focusing more on offensive line or John Elway is terrible for not preparing for life after Peyton Manning. You can say that about every GM in the NFL. Let's not forget that this whole offensive line thing could have something to do with Zim as well because he wants to build up his defense
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

As for the Turner move, I love it. He needs to go. And it's not necessarily because of the OL. He's just so predictable, knows he has a bad line and still has Bradford doing 7 step drops from under center and runs Matt Asiata like he's Walter Payton
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

If Norv is gone....is Scott too?
-Chazz Palminteri