View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Norvanilla 
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post Norvanilla
Sucks. That is all.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:22 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post Re: Norvanilla
Terrible. Norv and Sparano should be ashamed of themselves. What a garbage game, nobody blocked the whole game. Defense couldn't defend the running backs both in the run game and screens killed us. Can't put much on the defense when they are on the field all game due to the offense not being able to pick up a damn first down.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:28 pm
Hall of Famer

Sparano should be fired. That's the worst excuse for an NFL offensive line I've ever seen.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:39 pm
Hall of Famer

soflavike wrote:
Sparano should be fired. That's the worst excuse for an NFL offensive line I've ever seen.

Jeff Davidson is smiling...

Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:41 am
All Pro Elite Player

The thing that really burnt me was, even down 20-3 against a bad football team, there was no sense of urgency from Turner as the Vikings essentially waived the white flag by continuing to huddle and eating up clock. :steamed:

Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:13 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

halfgiz wrote:
The thing that really burnt me was, even down 20-3 against a bad football team, there was no sense of urgency from Turner as the Vikings essentially waived the white flag by continuing to huddle and eating up clock. :steamed:

This......times 1000......I was fuming. Absolutely no excuse...zero......for such a pathetic display. Even the week before (against Philly) the announcers were commenting about why they were throwing for 3 yard passes when we were behind late in the game. Very irritating.......Norv needs to go and a shift in the offensive philosophy needs to happen asap.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:46 am
Defensive Tackle

Norv Zimmer wrote:
Terrible. Norv and Sparano should be ashamed of themselves.

soflavike wrote:
Sparano should be fired.

halfgiz wrote:

I'm seeing lots of anger toward Sparano and Turner but the problem doesn't start with them. It starts with Zimmer and Spielman. Jeff Davidson's contract wasn't renewed because, as Zimmer tersely explained, he "didn't want to" renew it and Sparano's line has looked like a downgrade from the start. It's Spielman who has allowed the OL to fall into a shambles and as the head coach and a primary decision maker, Zimmer's complicit in the offensive problems.

Under Zimmer, the Vikings have exchanged one set of issues for another. The Vikings have gone from stinking on defense to stinking on offense. Once again, they have a very unbalanced team, which has basically been the team's story for most of the past 30 years.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:09 am
All Pro Elite Player

you folks are delusional....
No Coach can take a non-NFL quality player and teach him a few tricks to make him talented. NOrv/Zim/Soprano have been handed a big mound of marshmallows and were told to make a OL out of it. It just isn't going to happen. Belichek could do crap with the obscene excuse for an OL we have. The QB is getting 1 second of drop back time before the entire Defense is in the back field. the OL is so bad they cant even run a straight ahead run play blocking scheme. Do you really think that Norv just needs to create more trick plays, then we will do better? These guys would trip over themselves trying anything creative. The coaches didn't ask for these abominable players, Spielman created this impossible situation. Its is pure fantasy to think the answer here is a coaching change. Wake up.....

Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:13 am
All Pro Elite Player

Vikings offense: Last 20 possessions, stretching over 3 games: 1 touchdown.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:39 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

When can AP come back? This offense really needs him, anyone who says differently IMO is flat wrong.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:10 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

AP carried the ball for 31 times for 50 yards before he got hurt. 1.6 average. Not sure he would be much help. Norvanilla keeps running up the middle its all he's got.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:09 pm
Site Admin

purplehaze wrote:
AP carried the ball for 31 times for 50 yards before he got hurt. 1.6 average. Not sure he would be much help. Norvanilla keeps running up the middle its all he's got.

At least they gain 2-3 yards running up the gut. Most of the other plays are incompletes, strip sacks, sacks, and "fancy runs" for losses.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:14 pm
Defensive Tackle

Cliff wrote:
purplehaze wrote:

At least they gain 2-3 yards running up the gut. Most of the other plays are incompletes, strip sacks, sacks, and "fancy runs" for losses.

Oooh... fancy runs!

Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:42 pm
All Pro Elite Player

OH, in case you forget, AP is mentally incapable of pass blocking ....so, he would be coming out on every pass play and thereby advertising every passing down we have.....when he IS in the entire D knows its a run and will decimate our Girl Scouts on the OL......

Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:54 pm
Defensive Tackle

chicagopurple wrote:
OH, in case you forget, AP is mentally incapable of pass blocking ....so, he would be coming out on every pass play and thereby advertising every passing down we have.....when he IS in the entire D knows its a run and will decimate our Girl Scouts on the OL......

:roll:

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:35 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Is AP coming back anytime soon? Any updates.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:50 pm
Defensive Tackle

halfgiz wrote:
Is AP coming back anytime soon? Any updates.

They said during the game last night that there's no firm timetable. :(

Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:53 pm
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:
Under Zimmer, the Vikings have exchanged one set of issues for another. The Vikings have gone from stinking on defense to stinking on offense. Once again, they have a very unbalanced team, which has basically been the team's story for most of the past 30 years.

I don't know about that. The defense stunk pretty bad against what had been a pedantic Bear offense until yesterday.

I'm not sure what is wrong with the team to be honest. They looked slow and stiff against both the Bears and the Eagles, and it hasn't been just the offensive line or the offense. The defense is giving up big runs now, Bradford is reacting to phantom pressure and curling up before any defenders are even near him, and the list goes on.

I was pretty sure the team would bounce back given their performance against the Eagles the week before, but it was the Bears that looked motivated and had a spring in their step. It will be very interesting to see what happens against the Lions. If we see another poor performance across-the-board, either the Vikings opponents have found a way to steal their signals or this team is in real trouble. No way they should lay another collective egg after what they've put on the field the last two weeks.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:27 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

we have jake long protecting bradford's blind side, and some of you think that this team will just "snap out of it." i'm not even watching next game because i'm genuinely concerned about bradford's health. he will be the next one injured. in all honesty, if this line puts up another horrid performance again this week i'd start shaun hill and protect bradford's safety long term. these guys don't block anybody.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:36 am
Defensive Tackle

VikingLord wrote:
Mothman wrote:

I don't know about that. The defense stunk pretty bad against what had been a pedantic Bear offense until yesterday.

Cutler made a difference but yes, the defense stunk by comparison with the high standard they've set. However, they allowed 20 points, which is still better than what most NFL teams allow on average. With the defense currently ranked #2 overall and the offense currently ranked #31, I think it's pretty safe to say the team is very unbalanced. :)
Quote:
I'm not sure what is wrong with the team to be honest. They looked slow and stiff against both the Bears and the Eagles, and it hasn't been just the offensive line or the offense. The defense is giving up big runs now, Bradford is reacting to phantom pressure and curling up before any defenders are even near him, and the list goes on.

I think the problem areas are just taking their toll. I also feel the run defense was playing a bit over it's head earlier in the season. I've always thought it was their most vulnerable point and losing Sendejo actually hurt quite a bit. That was evident against the Bears.

Quote:
I was pretty sure the team would bounce back given their performance against the Eagles the week before, but it was the Bears that looked motivated and had a spring in their step. It will be very interesting to see what happens against the Lions. If we see another poor performance across-the-board, either the Vikings opponents have found a way to steal their signals or this team is in real trouble. No way they should lay another collective egg after what they've put on the field the last two weeks.

Agreed. They should come out motivated and playing some of their best football of the season and if they don't, it will be a very bad sign.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:30 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

The playcalling was BAD at time yesterday, (the 3 plays on the 3 yard line come to mind...) but watching just how putrid this line was I think they are grossly limited in what they can call.

The Bears were able to pressure us that heavily without much blitzing. That means 7 guys in coverage. Basically John Fox and co told the Vikings "run it if you can." We couldn't.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:51 am
Defensive Tackle

mansquatch wrote:
The playcalling was BAD at time yesterday, (the 3 plays on the 3 yard line come to mind...) but watching just how putrid this line was I think they are grossly limited in what they can call.

The Bears were able to pressure us that heavily without much blitzing. That means 7 guys in coverage. Basically John Fox and co told the Vikings "run it if you can." We couldn't.

Well said. The Vikings are likely to be faced with the same unspoken challenge again and again this season, especially if they don;t start proving they actually can run it against those favorable alignments.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:58 am
Starter

mansquatch wrote:

It's pretty much the same play calling we've seen for at least 3 years no matter how well or poorly the OL has been playing.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:04 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

That is the issue in a nutshell. They were able to pass against teams playing cover 1 who feared our vintage rushing attack. Finally we went against some more innovative coaching staffs who challenges the current roster. Now the blue print is out there and the OL weakness has been exposed.

It is still all about the OL, but it is more than just the tackles being pathetic. (Which they are.) The interior OL is also weak and pathetic at the point of attack. Until something changes, it going to be the same only thing week in and week out.

It was nice to hear some of the skill guys take responsibility for things they can do better, but that is lipstick on the pig. They can play HOF level football and it will not be be enough with the way this line is currently playing.

I think the OL has upside in the sense that they've just been through the competitive buzz saw and are likely mentally in the tank. This is now all about the coaches getting these guys mentally up for next Sunday. Also, it isn't hard to improve on what we saw Monday night. That set a new standard for rock bottom in my opinion.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:08 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Purple Martin wrote:
mansquatch wrote:

It's pretty much the same play calling we've seen for at least 3 years no matter how well or poorly the OL has been playing.

The predictable rushing on 1st/2nd downs has been a long standing issue, and I agree with it. Against the Bears on MNF the playcalling, however pedestrian, was not our undoing.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:10 am
All Pro Elite Player

the OL was NOT just thru a "buzzsaw"...they just got their azz whipped by one of the weakest teams in the league. Philly is respectable, but the BEARS?! No way.....They just got dominated by a bunch of replacement players who would not be starters on any good team....

Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:14 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

chicagopurple wrote:
the OL was NOT just thru a "buzzsaw"...they just got their azz whipped by one of the weakest teams in the league. Philly is respectable, but the BEARS?! No way.....They just got dominated by a bunch of replacement players who would not be starters on any good team....

The NFL is incredibly competitive, even a crap show roster like the Bears still has legitimate athletes. Look at us, we were 5-0 3 weeks ago and now we look like a basement dweller. The Bears have an elite defensive coaching staff with their DC and HC. They exposed us, which is something neither the elite fronts of the Panthers nor Texans were able to accomplish.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:25 am
Commissioner

Mothman wrote:
VikingLord wrote:

Agreed. They should come out motivated and playing some of their best football of the season and if they don't, it will be a very bad sign.

But what if they can't? What if there simply isn't enough good coaching and too few good players for the Vikings to rise to the occasion?

That's my concern right now. For example, I don't think the porous OL problems are going away anytime soon. And I'm not sure there is enough creativity in the offensive coordination to compensate for that.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:26 am
Defensive Tackle

mansquatch wrote:
chicagopurple wrote:

The NFL is incredibly competitive, even a crap show roster like the Bears still has legitimate athletes. Look at us, we were 5-0 3 weeks ago and now we look like a basement dweller. The Bears have an elite defensive coaching staff with their DC and HC. They exposed us, which is something neither the elite fronts of the Panthers nor Texans were able to accomplish.

The Bears also have a pretty good defensive front, certainly not just "a bunch of replacement players who would not be starters on any good team".

Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:36 am
Defensive Tackle

losperros wrote:
But what if they can't? What if there simply isn't enough good coaching and too few good players for the Vikings to rise to the occasion?

Then they're in deep trouble, which is a strong possibility.

Quote:
That's my concern right now. For example, I don't think the porous OL problems are going away anytime soon. And I'm not sure there is enough creativity in the offensive coordination to compensate for that.

I doubt there is and you and I have discussed the implications of that. :( We've known all season that this OL could prove to be a liability that can't be overcome, that sinks their chances for a great season. There's no way to know with any certainty if that's how things will work out but OL play as bad as the Vikes have had this year isn't really something a team can hide or just work around every week. Blocking is too fundamental to offensive success.

This team could still post 10+ wins, as many believe they will. I think there's a reasonable chance of that but the Vikings could also be on the verge of a serious collapse after a fast start.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next