It's panic time

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: It's panic time

Post by Mothman »

autobon7 wrote: I have taken notice of that as well......last year lots of folks said he was done, can't/don't wanna play anymore etc. Could it be Norv? I think so.

I think it was Bridgewater, the OL, Norv, Zimmer...

The Vikings offense under Zimmer has been dysfunctional.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

autobon7 wrote: I have taken notice of that as well......last year lots of folks said he was done, can't/don't wanna play anymore etc. Could it be Norv? I think so.
Wallace has always been a one trick pony and to keep it simple we weren't a good fit for making that one trick work, Balitmore does a bit better with it.

It might have been Norv, tough to say. Spielman's the one who brought him here so I'd blame him but I could see a scenario where Norv really wanted Wallace and pushed Spielman's decision.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I do think Norv is a big part of it (and Zimmer for not making changes sooner and giving the reins completely over to him), even if the offensive line is in shambles. The "Norv won't adapt to his roster" isn't exactly a new thing. These kinds of complaints came out of San Diego too.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2014/9/ ... r-to-mccoy
Norv was stubborn. Yes, he shifted the focus from an LT driven offense to one that featured Rivers, but the core concepts of his offensive philosophy never changed. Never mind that the roster didn’t have the personnel to run the Air Coryell offense that Turner wanted to run; Norv wanted to run the offense regardless of his team. That’s the basic reason why Norv Turner failed as the offensive coordinator/head coach of the Chargers. He refused to change.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Cliff wrote:I do think Norv is a big part of it (and Zimmer for not making changes sooner and giving the reins completely over to him), even if the offensive line is in shambles. The "Norv won't adapt to his roster" isn't exactly a new thing. These kinds of complaints came out of San Diego too.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2014/9/ ... r-to-mccoy

I said this 1000 times lol. I live in cardinals/charger country. I was here during his tenure as HC of the chargers and the same things were said when he was there, including interviews where he was called out by rivers, lt and gates
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

so, he is not a great coach...he is not a very bad coach either....what IS bad is our Ol, our RB by committee, our so-so QBs......Norv is gone.....our woeful OL is here and unchanged. THe GM who has assembled this sad excuse of an OL is still here. IF we expect to ever improve THOSE are the things that need to be upgraded....offing Norv wasn't the "answer".
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

chicagopurple wrote:so, he is not a great coach...he is not a very bad coach either....what IS bad is our Ol, our RB by committee, our so-so QBs......Norv is gone.....our woeful OL is here and unchanged. THe GM who has assembled this sad excuse of an OL is still here. IF we expect to ever improve THOSE are the things that need to be upgraded....offing Norv wasn't the "answer".
I think with Norv gone it very well could be part of the answer. Other issues need addressed but this is a good start.....my opinion but time will tell.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

admittedly I'm a pessimist but here is my range of emotions:

Panic Time - the home win vs. the texans, when the line was completely blown up, but Sam and the D played out of their minds
Denial & Depression- the debacle vs. the eagles
Anger & Acceptance - the crushing loss in Soldier Field
Moving on - the loss to the Lions. It's over, let's start planning for free agency (AD? Any OL on the market?) and the draft (2nd Round :( )
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

VikingPaul73 wrote:admittedly I'm a pessimist but here is my range of emotions:

Panic Time - the home win vs. the texans, when the line was completely blown up, but Sam and the D played out of their minds
Denial & Depression- the debacle vs. the eagles
Anger & Acceptance - the crushing loss in Soldier Field
Moving on - the loss to the Lions. It's over, let's start planning for free agency (AD? Any OL on the market?) and the draft (2nd Round :( )

As far as the OL goes I have to say this, as it CURRENTLY stands, Clemmings is clearly the weak link.

Long is already rounding in to a good LT, a huge upgrade just as I predicted.

Fusco is the 2nd worst on the OL after Clemmings.

IMO if everyone is healthy you put Sirles at RT and the OL will be much better than at any time this year, certainly better than at any time before Long when Clemmings was ANYWHERE along the OL.

P.S. I just went back and re-watched the play where Sam gets sacked and we lose the FG opportunity on the drive after Greenway's int and it's Clemmings getting beat badly on the play even though he's clearly got his hands to the facemask of the DLman, Sam makes the double-down mistake of sliding to his left inside where Fusco is getting beat like a drum by his guy....sack....punt....puke!
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

RFIP wrote:
As far as the OL goes I have to say this, as it CURRENTLY stands, Clemmings is clearly the weak link.

Long is already rounding in to a good LT, a huge upgrade just as I predicted.

Fusco is the 2nd worst on the OL after Clemmings.

IMO if everyone is healthy you put Sirles at RT and the OL will be much better than at any time this year, certainly better than at any time before Long when Clemmings was ANYWHERE along the OL.

P.S. I just went back and re-watched the play where Sam gets sacked and we lose the FG opportunity on the drive after Greenway's int and it's Clemmings getting beat badly on the play even though he's clearly got his hands to the facemask of the DLman, Sam makes the double-down mistake of sliding to his left inside where Fusco is getting beat like a drum by his guy....sack....punt....puke!
I agree....insert Sirles and let him have a go. For sure can't be any worse than Clemmings and has shown flashes that Clemmings has not.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Now that Jake Long is done (it seems so, anyway), our OL is in full panic mode.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

soflavike wrote:Now that Jake Long is done (it seems so, anyway), our OL is in full panic mode.
Do we even have an O-Line anymore? I feel like they're all injured.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

We never HAD an O Line, just a lot of pretenders who are poorly skilled, fragile and undersized......Jake Long injured is just as useless as Jake Long healthy.....thats why he was walking the streets unemployed before puttin on a purple jersey.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

well, with Norv gone all seems so much better, Eh?

No OL= No wins.
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

I can't recall any team that has collapsed this hard as the 2016 Vikings. I truly have no idea what the future of this franchise will hold.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

petev_sj wrote:I can't recall any team that has collapsed this hard as the 2016 Vikings. I truly have no idea what the future of this franchise will hold.
I can. The 2003 Vikings. Started 6-0. Lost the next 4. Fished 9-7 missing the playoffs as Arizona got a touchdown as the clock expired on a pushout.