View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Running game in danger of being NFL’s most futile since 1946 
Defensive Tackle

Post Running game in danger of being NFL’s most futile since 1946
I don't think we ever saw an article like this focused on the team's TD passing futility last season but the press seems to actually be on this particular negative trend for the Vikings offense in 2016:

Vikings’ running game in danger of being NFL’s most futile since 1946 Lions

Quote:
The Vikings’ futility in the running game this season could be historic.

Through six games, Minnesota is averaging a paltry 2.6 yards per carry. That is on pace to be the lowest figure in the NFL since the 1946 Detroit Lions averaged just 1.7 yards per attempt.

Those Lions, led by Camp Wilson’s 207 rushing yards, went 1-10. Entering Monday’s game at Chicago, the Vikings are 5-1 thanks to a dominant defense and a solid passing game led by Sam Bradford, although he faltered in last weekend’s 21-10 loss at Philadelphia.

No NFL team has averaged less than 3 yards per carry since the 1994 New England Patriots finished at 2.8. Rounded to the next decimal, the Vikings are averaging 2.61, so a better performance Monday might take them past the 1953 New York Giants, who averaged 2.64.

“It’s negative yards plays, that brings your average down,’’ Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said Saturday. “It is what is is. I can’t change it. It’s 2.6. That’s what it is. So we’ll just keep trying to do better.’’

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:16 am
All Pro Elite Player

Post Re: Running game in danger of being NFL’s most futile since
Again, driving home the point that AP's importance to our team is less critical then ever before. The time of the RB is has passed him by.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:30 am
Defensive Tackle

chicagopurple wrote:
Again, driving home the point that AP's importance to our team is less critical then ever before. The time of the RB is has passed him by.

That's your takeaway? :roll:

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:43 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I really hope AP comes back soon. I heard that he is seen walking around without a limp and no boot or crutches. I think he means a lot to this offense, if teams are focused on him it would open up the passing game and teams wouldnt be able to blitz as much.

I know lots of people saying we are better off without him but they are flat wrong.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:58 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

chicagopurple wrote:

This is completely wrong... no offense. How do you get this out of it? The article is about us being in danger of having one of the worst rushing attacks ever without AP. What you said makes 0 sense.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:59 am
All Pro Elite Player

yet we are in first place.
the entire league is showing a decline in rushing. Every leading team is doing so by passing. The rules are entire stacked in favor of a passing game and NO team needs a RB who is the highest paid player on the team by a huge margin. Run first is a strategy that was discarded by the league.
If we keep AP it HAS to be at a greatly reduced pay scale, even if he WAS a healthy young dependable player.
The focus has to change to the passing game.
I don't like it....but it is the reality of the league.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:08 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Yes, we are in first place. Imagine how much better of a team we would be with a decent/good rushing attack. Peterson will do so much for the team not only in rushing but opening up the passing game too. I think he can come back the week of the Thanksgiving game VS the lions.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:14 am
Defensive Tackle

chicagopurple wrote:
yet we are in first place.
the entire league is showing a decline in rushing. Every leading team is doing so by passing.

You keep peddling that idea in spite of the facts. "Every leading team is doing so by passing"? The Cowboys currently have the best record in the conference (pending the outcome of tonight's game) and they lead the league in rushing.

Quote:
The rules are entire stacked in favor of a passing game and NO team needs a RB who is the highest paid player on the team by a huge margin. Run first is a strategy that was discarded by the league. If we keep AP it HAS to be at a greatly reduced pay scale, even if he WAS a healthy young dependable player.

The strategy hasn't been discarded by the league. The Seahawks went to back-to-back Super Bowls in 2 of the last 3 seasons using that strategy. The Vikes won the NFC North last season using that approach. It's still valid, still used, still effective with the right personnel.

Yes, Peterson's making a lot of money and yes, that will change after this season. That's been a given since he signed his current deal so I have no idea why people feel the need to bring it up every week. The Vikings won't bring Peterson back at the salary he's slated to make next season. It's not even worth worrying about because it's not going to happen. The contract will undoubtedly be revisited and revised or terminated this offseason.

Quote:
The focus has to change to the passing game.
I don't like it....but it is the reality of the league.

The focus should be on what works best for the team, based on their personnel. They should continue trying to build a better passing game but that's been true for a decade now. As far as I know, nobody has argued against it.

Let's get back on topic. This thread isn't about Peterson, who hasn't even played since the 3rd quarter in week 2. It's about the Vikings overall struggles in the running game this season, which have far more to do with other factors.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:29 am
All Pro Elite Player

Oddly, when we HAD AP and the opponents were stacking the box every play, we still had a passing game that was anemic. It likely goes back to the fact that we have a crappy OL but also Bridgewater hadn't really proven much even with AP or our back up RBs.
Either way....we go no where without a competent OL. And having a payroll largely consumed by a RB is not going to be a recipe for success .

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:33 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

chicagopurple wrote:
Oddly, when we HAD AP and the opponents were stacking the box every play, we still had a passing game that was anemic. It likely goes back to the fact that we have a crappy OL but also Bridgewater hadn't really proven much even with AP or our back up RBs.
Either way....we go no where without a competent OL. And having a payroll largely consumed by a RB is not going to be a recipe for success .

Bridgewater is playing currently? and by currently it's entirely possible mothman meant as in this season's rushing attack. I could be wrong.....

Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:25 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Lol, talk about confirmation bias. Wow.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:35 am
Profile YIM WWW
Defensive Tackle

Boon wrote:
chicagopurple wrote:

Bridgewater is playing currently? and by currently it's entirely possible mothman meant as in this season's rushing attack. I could be wrong.....

This thread is definitely supposed to be about this season's rushing attack.

The headline here is that the Vikings are currently on a pace to have the worst rushing performance the league has seen in a season since the 1940s. That has nothing to do with Peterson's salary or teams having a "run first" philosophy. The thread was derailed immediately.

The running game is a big problem. It increases the pressure on the passing game and the defense. They have to find a way to get it going.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:51 am
Hall of Famer

we are on the third string RB with a crummy O Line. Being the worst league wide in decades doesn't surprise me.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:32 pm
All Pro Elite Player

watching last night...do you REALLY think AP would have been successful with this piss-poor excuse for an OL? I would rather take APs entire salary and buy 4 great OL players....that would be a far wiser use of the $$'s.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:16 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

chicagopurple wrote:
watching last night...do you REALLY think AP would have been successful with this piss-poor excuse for an OL? I would rather take APs entire salary and buy 4 great OL players....that would be a far wiser use of the $$'s.

ap is a one of a kind back. sliver of room and he's gone. you cant really say that he wouldn't have. through 7 games you would imagine somewhere along the line he would have broken a few long td's already.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:24 am
Hall of Famer

Boon wrote:
chicagopurple wrote:

ap is a one of a kind back. sliver of room and he's gone. you cant really say that he wouldn't have. through 7 games you would imagine somewhere along the line he would have broken a few long td's already.

All you have to do is look at the few games he did play and see he got shut down just as hard if not more so. I don't really think he has that burst / home run speed anymore so no, I honestly don't think he would have ripped off any long TD's (let's say 40+ yards).

Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:00 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

mondry wrote:
Boon wrote:
chicagopurple wrote:

All you have to do is look at the few games he did play and see he got shut down just as hard if not more so. I don't really think he has that burst / home run speed anymore so no, I honestly don't think he would have ripped off any long TD's (let's say 40+ yards).

Yes he would have. every year its the same deal. Old, doesn't have it blah blah blah. His 2k season he started bad too, just remember that.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:09 am
Hall of Famer

We were horrible in the rushing attack before AD got hurt. Sometimes, good players can find a way to get things done. This year we cant. Rick has this Oline in shambles, no one seems to know what to do, I think Clemmings thinks we are playing Rugby or something, and there doesnt seem to be ANY pride or leadership on the online.

Forget about the Dline for a while, see if we can get rid of AD and Kalil (I bet either can play nearly as well as they could before) and start work on the Oline. No more WR's (Rick has no clue about them, Diggs in the 5th was a fluke). If we dont get a someone decent Oline working this year, the Bradford trade was a waste. And since Teddy probably wont be playing a lot more football in his life, we are screwed. If this trend continues, we are going to hear cries from Ricks head and a new GM. The Vikings just keep going around in circles.

Oh. and someone but Zim a bottle of Xanax.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:31 am
All Pro Elite Player

time to wake up and realize that AP has reached his sell by date.....
If we can get a bunch of help at OL, we would be fools to not pull the trigger. Now he is even more damaged and will be a bit slower. We will go no where with or without him if we have no OL.....

Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:54 pm
Defensive Tackle

chicagopurple wrote:
time to wake up and realize that AP has reached his sell by date.....
If we can get a bunch of help at OL, we would be fools to not pull the trigger.

Pull the trigger on what?

Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:03 pm
Defensive Tackle

Quote:
Chris Tomasson ‏@christomasson
More good news. The #Vikings have raised their rushing per carry average to 2.7. Now only the worst since the 1953 New York Giants were 2.6.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:28 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

This thread is funny. We just got completely manhandled by a defense that basically used a base defense to rush the passer while employing a cover 2 scheme. John Fox and Vic Fangio basically said "run it if you can" and our results were utterly pathetic. We couldn't get any push at the point of attack and Matt Asiata was irrelevant for the entire game.

Think about that. If we had held a TE back to chip or help block, we'd have had fewer guys running into a coverage scheme that would have 6 or 7 DBs to defend the pass. So two best guys are double covered and now you are hoping your #3 or #4 guy can beat someone. On top of this, our Tackles could not do anything against their edge rushers. Not exactly a recipe for any kind of success when you need the time to get to your 3rd or 4th read as a QB.

Running matters in the NFL. It might not be 200 yard games like college, but the ability to have a credible rushing threat is very important to a passing game. Think about it this way, if running the ball is now passe, why don't teams spend an entire game in the 2 minute offense?

Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:35 am
Defensive Tackle

mansquatch wrote:
This thread is funny. We just got completely manhandled by a defense that basically used a base defense to rush the passer while employing a cover 2 scheme. John Fox and Vic Fangio basically said "run it if you can" and our results were utterly pathetic. We couldn't get any push at the point of attack and Matt Asiata was irrelevant for the entire game.

Think about that. If we had held a TE back to chip or help block, we'd have had fewer guys running into a coverage scheme that would have 6 or 7 DBs to defend the pass. So two best guys are double covered and now you are hoping your #3 or #4 guy can beat someone. On top of this, our Tackles could not do anything against their edge rushers. Not exactly a recipe for any kind of success when you need the time to get to your 3rd or 4th read as a QB.

Running matters in the NFL. It might not be 200 yard games like college, but the ability to have a credible rushing threat is very important to a passing game. Think about it this way, if running the ball is now passe, why don't teams spend an entire game in the 2 minute offense?

Well said!

Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:31 am
Career Elite Player

turns out if you have average running backs and the worst offensive line I have possibly EVER seen....you're not going to rush the ball well. :giveup:

Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:02 am
Commissioner

vikeinmontana wrote:
turns out if you have average running backs and the worst offensive line I have possibly EVER seen....you're not going to rush the ball well. :giveup:

Imagine that.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]