Will turner remain OC vs Chicago (poll)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Will Norv Turner remain offensive coordinator

Yes
88%
No
13%

Total votes: 32

Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Will turner remain OC vs Chicago (poll)

Post by Boon »

I think zimmer is at his wits end with the offense judging from his presser after the loss to philly. Thoughts?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Will turner remain OC vs Chicago (poll)

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Lol, yes he will.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Turners 5-1 today was his first lost of the season. :whistle:
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I don't like Turner's coordinating but the Vikings are 5-1. Bradford has been good, aside from today, and players like Patterson and Thielen are stepping up. So Coach Zimmer may be happy with how things are going.

OTOH, if Turner can't get more out of the offense, maybe then Zimmer will rethink his offensive coordinator's schemes.

One problem is no matter who the OC is, he will have to deal with the porous offensive line.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Norv doesnt matter
our QB doesnt matter
the RB is not an issue

NOTHING will matter until we have an OL. Without that nothing will ever work.

Its the same issue that we have been ignoring (well Spielman has ignored it) for the last few years.

Every week we face a team with any form of a strong Defensive line, we are gonna get #### slapped.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

halfgiz wrote:Turners 5-1 today was his first lost of the season. :whistle:
and hehas the 31st ranked offense, again
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

this isn't on Turner. I think the lack of his famous deep ball offence shows how they rate our offensive line.
This i'm afraid is on Slick Rick. He's made some great moves and the majority of our team is very very good. But his continued disregard for our awful O-line is going to bite us in the behind. It's already affected previous years, but this season where we have a genuine shot at it all, this will be the deciding factor.
Gemfow
Rookie

Post by Gemfow »

It doesn't matter what scheme you run, you still need an offensive line to hold its blocks. Anything Bradford dropped back he had someone hitting his arm or hitting the ball out of his hand. Adrian Peterson of all people couldn't get any yards behind this line and it's sad. It wasn't because AP all of a sudden lost explosion, it was because guys wee in the backfield by the time he got the hand off.

My problem with Turner is the predictability of the offense. He's too old to change. How many times do we have to see the whole run, run , play action pass? Then when we were stuffed on two consecutive downs when trying to get one yard we really should have did a play action pass then IMO. I know that seems like hindsight 20/20 but we are running the ball with Asiata who doesn't change directions well. It's frustrating seeing a bad line with a predictable offense.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

halfgiz wrote:Turners 5-1 today was his first lost of the season. :whistle:
Turner will stay this year. You could maybe see Shurmur having more input ,but my guess is that it would be all behind the scenes.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I said yes but I wish I was wrong. I completely agree with the 31st ranked offense once again. It is pretty sad
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

Norv sits safely in Zimmer's blind spot. I'd love to see his head roll but don't think Zimmer will do it.

But I voted "no" to be optimistic that maybe Zim will see the light. He was obviously pissed, and must see that we will never win against playoff caliber defenses.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I'm not sure which OC you think we're going to bring in that can do anything with that offensive line. There's no scheme in the NFL that doesn't require at least average blocking.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

Cliff wrote:I'm not sure which OC you think we're going to bring in that can do anything with that offensive line. There's no scheme in the NFL that doesn't require at least average blocking.
I'd bring in someone who can do better than dead last in offense with it. Maybe a bartender, or a bus driver. As Zimmer said yesterday, he's not going to go bring in a bunch of new bodies so we have to work with what he have. Norv has proved he isn't up to the job.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple Martin wrote: I'd bring in someone who can do better than dead last in offense with it. Maybe a bartender, or a bus driver. As Zimmer said yesterday, he's not going to go bring in a bunch of new bodies so we have to work with what he have. Norv has proved he isn't up to the job.
Zimmer needs to prove he is up to it. It's not enough to be a resolute leader and a great defensive coordinator. The offense has declined and stagnated for almost 2.5 years on his watch. Turner's been unimpressive but he's not the head coach. Zimmer and Spielman need to turn their focus to the offense and get it right. Maybe Turner should be involved in that going forward and maybe not but the buck stops above his current pay grade.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I guess. Saying "just do better with what you have" doesn't seem like it's always a realistic option.

"So what you broke your metal and wooden baseball bats? Just go out and use with this wiffleball bat. If you can't do that, you're a loser and need to be fired."

We can argue all day about whether or not they addressed the offensive line talent properly or they've just got bad luck. What is inarguable at this point is that there's not enough talent and/or experience on the line. The tools aren't there to be successful against good defensive talent. At least the experience part can be made up to some degree as the season goes on.