Thoughts on the crapfest

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

purpletinted66
Starter

Re: Thoughts on the crapfest

Post by purpletinted66 »

listened to the game at work - impressions i got:

- being in a grassy windy atmosphere, and being blitzed with high effectiveness, i think asiata should have been in the majority of the formations: mckinnon is a great scat-back and all, but i don't think we were moving quick enough. plus he was showing some probs with his ankle, we should not have used him near as much

- unheard of to not capitalize on 3 early TO's in any way. the penalty after the great punt downed at their 2 seemed like when the block on the eggheads momentum was lifted

- just when sandejo starts to not seem like a sandbag with legs, he gets injured. hope he is ok.

- we need to feed CPATT big time
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I'm not upset that they lost... I am upset at how they lost. The OL is as bad as last season. They can't fix it, there is no way. We need to figure out how to get the ball out of Bradford's hands quickly like we did in CAR.
They've been doing that for weeks and they tried it again today. The solution isn't so simple. Blocking is fundamental to the game so there's no hiding bad blocking. It's obvious and it's on film. Good, smart teams will exploit it until the Vikings improve in that department.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

the offensive line is so bad its scary. you have to wonder about bradford getting gun shy because he literally didn't have time to throw hardly at all today. with that said, it never helps when 3 starters are out for the rest of the season. it didn't matter who was playing on the left side they just blew right past whoever it was straight to the qb. i though why not with the long signing-but he looked like he belonged on the street where they got him.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: They've been doing that for weeks and they tried it again today. The solution isn't so simple. Blocking is fundamental to the game so there's no hiding bad blocking. It's obvious and it's on film. Good, smart teams will exploit it until the Vikings improve in that department.
I wonder if Philly was blitzing differently o something. They stopped Carolina's defense and Houston's defense from disrupting Bradford.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I wonder if Philly was blitzing differently o something. They stopped Carolina's defense and Houston's defense from disrupting Bradford.
Zim said no after he was asked that question. The funny ones were where a reporter asked him something, it was low volume, and zim said something along the lines of " you know, i told norv i could deal with second and 10, not second and 12 or 13, im gonna put my finger on a few things this week". He also said bradford isnt a cause for concern. "The offense as a whole is a concern. Tbere is nothing wrong with bradford, he missed a few throws but its kind of hard to throw the ball with someone grabbing on your arm"
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

can't win turning over the ball that many times and special teams playing like crap. Three shots in the redzone and zero points. Could not have been a more awful game. But it's just one game. Every team gets punched in the mouth, it's a matter of how you bounce back.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

halfgiz wrote:Who replaced Sendejo? Jayron kearse ?
Yes, it was Kearse.
purpletinted66
Starter

Post by purpletinted66 »

S197 wrote: Every team gets punched in the mouth, it's a matter of how you bounce back.
there's that too, because of the notoriety, teams want to make a statement for themselves by beating us...PA was remarking about how fired up the eagles were today.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Missed this game because I was on a flight across the country but figured we'd play like crap. Zimmer doesn't know how to prepare the team when he's got more than a week before an away game... see @SF last year and @Ten this year. I just hope they got out all the crap in this game so it won't happen anymore.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

purpletinted66 wrote:there's that too, because of the notoriety, teams want to make a statement for themselves by beating us...PA was remarking about how fired up the eagles were today.
Yeah, I also think that they used Bradford's trade request as a reason to prepare and play even harder this week. Not quite as meaningful but similar to Favre wanting to play against the Packers in 2009.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Two things that came to mind during this game.

1. The offense missed the scrambling and play making ability of Bridgewater today.

2. Kendricks is having a pro bowl type season. He was making plays everywhere.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

this OL is a total disaster. wouldn't be surprised to see duh bears win next monday.

the vikes are not legit contenders this year. period.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Zimmer's presser from today is must see TV:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 8a9a61b895

@ 6:30 or so he says some really revealing things about how he views our O. Paraphrasing him: "I always tell them that we aren't good enough to overcome negative plays (sacks, fumbles, interceptions) so we need to stay away from them."

Other major takeaway: like many of us in the game day thread (though not all), Zim thought our main problem today was crappy OL play.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

1. The offense missed the scrambling and play making ability of Bridgewater today.
Bridgewater would have been killed today. Unblocked rushers, blown blocks...
If we had Bridgewater from day 1, we'd likely have more than 1 loss.l
The QB position definitely wasn't the problem...
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Demi wrote: Bridgewater would have been killed today. Unblocked rushers, blown blocks...
If we had Bridgewater from day 1, we'd likely have more than 1 loss.l
The QB position definitely wasn't the problem...
Agreed, but let's not pretend that Bradford didn't suck today too. There were several plays that he had time and he still missed WIDE OPEN receivers. WIDE OPEN.

The OL was pretty much just as bad as they've always been this year. Maybe a bit worse, but not much. The difference is, Bradford played like he has played for most of his career instead of some immortal (see 1st 4 games in purple).

This is what I expected from Bradford when the trade was made - we will see, but I think this is more what we should expect than his first 4 games. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikings lose next week.