View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Thoughts on the crapfest 
Starting Wide Receiver

Post Thoughts on the crapfest
The good- Cordarelle Patterson, really the only player who showed up today. His play at the goal line on the punt was outstanding.

The bad- the offense outside of McKinnon. W...T...F...

The ugly- the OL played worse than they played in most games last season. And that is saying something. What was the point of giving Long playing time in the first half? Why is Clemmings put on the same side he sucked at last season? We have a bye week, and can anyone really identify wht our game plan was? Was there even one?

I put this loss on the OL, but also on Zimmer and his staff. We just came off of a bye, and our offense just played like crap. And now, teams know how to beat us. There was nothing to CP, nothing to Diggs, and no screens to the RBs. Atrocious.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commissioner

Post Re: Thoughts on the crapfest
I agree, PMR. I'm mostly upset with the OL and offensive coaching.

I guess one could say the absence of blocking and this kind of playcalling go hand-in-hand. If there is no blocking, the offense dinks and dunks most or the time. Whatever the case, the horrid blocking and Norv's current system have to change for this team to win.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:43 pm
Defensive Tackle

losperros wrote:
I agree, PMR. I'm mostly upset with the OL and offensive coaching.

I guess one could say the absence of blocking and this kind of playcalling go hand-in-hand. If there is no blocking, the offense dinks and dunks most or the time.

Exactly. They've been doing it for weeks, trying to make up for limitations up front.

Quote:
Whatever the case, the horrid blocking and Norv's current system have to change for this team to win.

... and Norv's options are limited by the bad OL.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:52 pm
Career Elite Player

Mothman wrote:

It's just lucky for the vikings that AD is on IR.....Imagine how many fewer options Norv would have without the versatile McKinnon and Asiata to open up the playbook :rofl:

Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:56 pm
Defensive Tackle

VikingPaul73 wrote:
Mothman wrote:

It's just lucky for the vikings that AD is on IR.....Imagine how many fewer options Norv would have without the versatile McKinnon and Asiata to open up the playbook :rofl:

:lol:

Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:59 pm
Hall of Famer

In the grand scheme of things: It is one loss. The team has 8 days before they play again.

However, this team has major offensive issues. They gave up six sacks and Sam Bradford was hit 12 times. Hard to be effective with stats like those.

Hard to change things with limited cap space and players on IR. This offensive line is utterly pathetic none the less.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:05 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Thoughts?

This will remind the team, and fans, that it's a long season, and it's never smooth sailing all the way to the "coast."

Norv...don't get me even started. I know the line was beyond horrible, but this guy will never change.

Come on Vikes, I guess 15-1 will have to suffice. Doh!

...wisdom

Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:13 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I think they needed a punch in the face. But really its a showing of the biggest glaring weakness an extremely solid team has. These analysts say "they need to do this and that" but lets be real here. Going into week 8 what can they possibly do to fix the offensive line? There really isnt much but to have the current line just man the #### up and play well. There is no way around it

Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:19 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Boon wrote:
I think they needed a punch in the face. But really its a showing of the biggest glaring weakness an extremely solid team has. These analysts say "they need to do this and that" but lets be real here. Going into week 8 what can they possibly do to fix the offensive line? There really isnt much but to have the current line just man the #### up and play well. There is no way around it

Unfortunately, you're probably right. The only other thing we could possibly do is look at trades. Treadwelll might have some value on the market, and is a player I think we could afford to offer up in the right scenario. But I recognize that it is very unlikely.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:34 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Lets just be glad Bradford made it out in one piece more than likely. Think i saw a graphic where he got hit 19 times. That is completely unacceptable

Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:42 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Lol zims presser. Think hes starting to get frustrated with turner from how he reacted to certain questions.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:01 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

I'm not upset that they lost... I am upset at how they lost. The OL is as bad as last season. They can't fix it, there is no way. We need to figure out how to get the ball out of Bradford's hands quickly like we did in CAR.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW
All Pro Elite Player

Who replaced Sendejo? Jayron kearse ?
Total OL collapse today.
Disappointed our OL couldn't even pick up a foot in 2 tries.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:02 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Boon wrote:
Lol zims presser. Think hes starting to get frustrated with turner from how he reacted to certain questions.

Maybe we will see Pat Shurmur sooner than we think.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:05 pm
Veteran

Boon wrote:

His presser was refreshing to me! He calls it like he sees it! Only problem is they really have no way to fix the OL and they cannot run at all out of normal sets or in short yardage which puts all the pressure on Bradford and the receivers. I don't expect much of anything different in Chicago next Monday night. They will crowd the LOS, hit Bradford at every chance and force the pass receivers to win the game.

D was great today, sad that the KOR went that way and then the 2 pointer. Sad but if not for that turn of event shtis game, as bad as the Vikings played, would have still been up for grabs.

Also, Eagles folks are saying that Wentz was looking for Sam after the game and that Bradford somehow "dissed" him and left the field. Anyone see anything about this crap?

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:07 pm
Starter

listened to the game at work - impressions i got:

- being in a grassy windy atmosphere, and being blitzed with high effectiveness, i think asiata should have been in the majority of the formations: mckinnon is a great scat-back and all, but i don't think we were moving quick enough. plus he was showing some probs with his ankle, we should not have used him near as much

- unheard of to not capitalize on 3 early TO's in any way. the penalty after the great punt downed at their 2 seemed like when the block on the eggheads momentum was lifted

- just when sandejo starts to not seem like a sandbag with legs, he gets injured. hope he is ok.

- we need to feed CPATT big time

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:07 pm
Defensive Tackle

PurpleMustReign wrote:
I'm not upset that they lost... I am upset at how they lost. The OL is as bad as last season. They can't fix it, there is no way. We need to figure out how to get the ball out of Bradford's hands quickly like we did in CAR.

They've been doing that for weeks and they tried it again today. The solution isn't so simple. Blocking is fundamental to the game so there's no hiding bad blocking. It's obvious and it's on film. Good, smart teams will exploit it until the Vikings improve in that department.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:09 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

the offensive line is so bad its scary. you have to wonder about bradford getting gun shy because he literally didn't have time to throw hardly at all today. with that said, it never helps when 3 starters are out for the rest of the season. it didn't matter who was playing on the left side they just blew right past whoever it was straight to the qb. i though why not with the long signing-but he looked like he belonged on the street where they got him.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:10 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:

They've been doing that for weeks and they tried it again today. The solution isn't so simple. Blocking is fundamental to the game so there's no hiding bad blocking. It's obvious and it's on film. Good, smart teams will exploit it until the Vikings improve in that department.

I wonder if Philly was blitzing differently o something. They stopped Carolina's defense and Houston's defense from disrupting Bradford.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:11 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pro Bowl Elite Player

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Mothman wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:

I wonder if Philly was blitzing differently o something. They stopped Carolina's defense and Houston's defense from disrupting Bradford.

Zim said no after he was asked that question. The funny ones were where a reporter asked him something, it was low volume, and zim said something along the lines of " you know, i told norv i could deal with second and 10, not second and 12 or 13, im gonna put my finger on a few things this week". He also said bradford isnt a cause for concern. "The offense as a whole is a concern. Tbere is nothing wrong with bradford, he missed a few throws but its kind of hard to throw the ball with someone grabbing on your arm"

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:26 pm
Fenrir

can't win turning over the ball that many times and special teams playing like crap. Three shots in the redzone and zero points. Could not have been a more awful game. But it's just one game. Every team gets punched in the mouth, it's a matter of how you bounce back.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:38 pm
Defensive Tackle

halfgiz wrote:
Who replaced Sendejo? Jayron kearse ?

Yes, it was Kearse.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:46 pm
Starter

S197 wrote:
Every team gets punched in the mouth, it's a matter of how you bounce back.
there's that too, because of the notoriety, teams want to make a statement for themselves by beating us...PA was remarking about how fired up the eagles were today.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:58 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Missed this game because I was on a flight across the country but figured we'd play like crap. Zimmer doesn't know how to prepare the team when he's got more than a week before an away game... see @SF last year and @Ten this year. I just hope they got out all the crap in this game so it won't happen anymore.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:17 pm
All Pro Elite Player

purpletinted66 wrote:
S197 wrote:
Every team gets punched in the mouth, it's a matter of how you bounce back.
there's that too, because of the notoriety, teams want to make a statement for themselves by beating us...PA was remarking about how fired up the eagles were today.

Yeah, I also think that they used Bradford's trade request as a reason to prepare and play even harder this week. Not quite as meaningful but similar to Favre wanting to play against the Packers in 2009.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:19 pm
Career Elite Player

Two things that came to mind during this game.

1. The offense missed the scrambling and play making ability of Bridgewater today.

2. Kendricks is having a pro bowl type season. He was making plays everywhere.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:49 pm
Career Elite Player

this OL is a total disaster. wouldn't be surprised to see duh bears win next monday.

the vikes are not legit contenders this year. period.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:53 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Zimmer's presser from today is must see TV:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 8a9a61b895

@ 6:30 or so he says some really revealing things about how he views our O. Paraphrasing him: "I always tell them that we aren't good enough to overcome negative plays (sacks, fumbles, interceptions) so we need to stay away from them."

Other major takeaway: like many of us in the game day thread (though not all), Zim thought our main problem today was crappy OL play.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:13 pm
Commissioner

Quote:
1. The offense missed the scrambling and play making ability of Bridgewater today.

Bridgewater would have been killed today. Unblocked rushers, blown blocks...
If we had Bridgewater from day 1, we'd likely have more than 1 loss.l
The QB position definitely wasn't the problem...

Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:23 pm
Career Elite Player

Demi wrote:
Quote:

Bridgewater would have been killed today. Unblocked rushers, blown blocks...
If we had Bridgewater from day 1, we'd likely have more than 1 loss.l
The QB position definitely wasn't the problem...

Agreed, but let's not pretend that Bradford didn't suck today too. There were several plays that he had time and he still missed WIDE OPEN receivers. WIDE OPEN.

The OL was pretty much just as bad as they've always been this year. Maybe a bit worse, but not much. The difference is, Bradford played like he has played for most of his career instead of some immortal (see 1st 4 games in purple).

This is what I expected from Bradford when the trade was made - we will see, but I think this is more what we should expect than his first 4 games. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikings lose next week.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next