Viking @ Eagles Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 7

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: Viking @ Eagles Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 7

Post by halfgiz »

According to ESPN Stats and Information, - the Eagles sent a defensive back as a pass rusher on 13 of Sam Bradford's dropbacks, the same number as the Eagles' total from the first five games of the season. On those plays, the Eagles sacked or pressured Bradford on 8 dropbacks.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0 ... 55038150-4

That would explain why Sam got hit a lot of times by guys coming in untouched.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

FullWood wrote:Bradford was with the Eagles last year it looks like the Eagles knew him very and i mean very well.
Only problem with this logic is none of the coaches were there last year.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

RFIP wrote: Only problem with this logic is none of the coaches were there last year.
Maybe not. But maybe they knew he was gunshy and reacted to pressure more?
Or they knew the offensive line was garbage and if sent extra rushers it could cause trouble.
:confused:
With this defense it's frustrating to see an offensive performance like this with the one dimensional teams we've put up with over the last decade or more, that's for sure. :wallbang:
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

halfgiz wrote:Mike Zimmer calls loss 'embarrassing' and Vikings offensive line 'soft' bit.ly/2eviAQ5

“It was embarrassing in at least two of the phases,” the head coach said, “and I’m very disappointed in the performance that we gave today. We turned the ball over offensively, we didn’t block people, we dropped balls, we got the quarterback hit, we [need] two inches and we can’t convert on third down or fourth down, we got three shots in the red zone in the first half, we throw an interception, we gave up a 98-yard kickoff return, we fumbled a punt. If you’re going to do those things, you have no chance to win.”

The biggest irritant to Zimmer was a Vikings offensive line that he said got “whipped” by the Eagles, who had six sacks and a dozen quarterback hits.

“We didn’t block anybody,” he said. “We were soft. We got overpowered.”

Zimmer said the Vikings have to fix their offensive line from within.

At least he didn't claim that players need to fit into the system, or some such nonsense that we've heard from other Vikings HC's. Zimmer doesn't obfuscate much. Credit for that... now I hope he can figure something out between now and next game.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote: A competent OC/GM would fix that within 10 weeks. Do we have that? :confused:
If it is a short run in the playoffs, both positions should be looked at.

Hereee weeee goooo :roll:

You're silent for 6 weeks now all of the sudden we have a bad GM again because we lost. Yup makes perfect sense
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I had to miss the game, saw bits and pieces and heard a lot of it. Sounded like a good one to miss.
Rick sure put together a good Oline. Even the most least knowledgeable Vikings fan KNEW we needed a much better Oline right now.

We played so bad on the O and D side, im just going to pretend it didnt happen, and that we beat Chicago next week, before it a becomes a nightmare like our seasons usually end up as.
We definitely didnt play bad on the defensive side. We had 4 turnovers
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Mothman wrote:
Don't kid yourself. Philly won it. Their defense made the Vikes offense look bad.
Dude, they came in ranked 30th in yardage, the offense has made the offense look bad all season. With the eagles deep turnovers and the way our defense was making wentz look like a high schooler they should have blown out Philly. Lets be real here, 31,18,27,29 and currently coming into this game, 30th. Probably dead last once the week finishes. Offensive yardage ranks in turners last 5 years as a coordinator. At some point spielman is going to have to call a spade a spade. At what point do we start shifting blame from the players to something with a glaringly obvious bullseye?
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: We definitely didnt play bad on the defensive side. We had 4 turnovers
Defense was good. You hold any team to 238 yards total and 4 turnovers you expect to win. This was 100% on the offense and its shenanigans
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

I'm confident that this is our clunker game for the year, like @ SF last season. If the Vikes would have converted those 3 TOs in the 1st quarter into just 10 points, we are probably celebrating 6-0.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I dont think Im wrong about Rick (too tired to go into it too much) there are quite a few things I have to say about it and Norv.

This is a top 8 D If we only had that killer instinct, that other team have, even the BEST in the league, and could run the ball, we would be a team no one wants to play. We dont want to slide that was.

Wouldnt it be nice to have 2 awesome Olinemen and not a DB and a DB that look ok?
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Games like this just bring out, " the oh crap here we go again in me as a Vikings fan..."

its like were foolish children; running across a multicolored blanket and reality is about
to rip the blanket out from underneath us, and we will land flat on our backs , once again...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I dont think Im wrong about Rick (too tired to go into it too much) there are quite a few things I have to say about it and Norv.

This is a top 8 D If we only had that killer instinct, that other team have, even the BEST in the league, and could run the ball, we would be a team no one wants to play. We dont want to slide that was.

Wouldnt it be nice to have 2 awesome Olinemen and not a DB and a DB that look ok?
Once again though, injuries are making this OL much worse than it originally was. Did we mess up by not selecting an OL early in the past few years? Yes. But that doesnt make Spielman a bad GM by any means. If it wasnt for Spielman, Zimmer wouldnt be here. Lets not forget the defense he put out there. You can give credit to Zimmer of course but if it wasnt for Spielman, those guys wouldnt be out there. We would still have Shaun Hill at QB if it wasnt for Spielman. Are you going to really blame him for the running game? We haven't been bad at run blocking in years so I can't really lay that one on Spielman.

Look at Seattles dumpster fire of an offensive line. Does that make Schneider a bad GM?? Denver's QB situation and how they added no depth behind Manning in past years, Carolina's defensive backs. Every team has a weakness somewhere. Ours is clearly offensive line. What Spielman has done with this team since 2012 has been pretty damn good if you ask me. We're 5-1 not 1-5. So go ahead and critique him all you want for us losing one game, but I will tell you now, you're dead wrong if you going to sit there and say he is a bad GM.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Is anyone else watching this Seattle game? And we thought our OL was bad :shock:

Hmmm 5-1 team, with a bad offensive line.....must mean they have a bad GM
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I'm wondering how people feel about Zimmer's decision to keep Bradford in the game after it was out of reach on Sunday. This is from Jim Souhan's column:

http://www.startribune.com/sam-bradford ... 398120531/
For all of the ugliness on display Sunday afternoon, the most important moment of the game for the Vikings might have arrived during their last drive. The score was 21-3. The Vikings had no way to win or tie. Vikings coach Mike Zimmer kept Bradford in the game.

Bradford took a couple of big hits, and after one he lay on the turf, as backup Shaun Hill started trotting onto the field.

Bradford got up, gathered himself, and threw a touchdown on his last pass.

Did Zimmer consider pulling Bradford? “No,” he said.

Is that his general philosophy or was it a situational decision? Zimmer took a while to answer, then said: “I’m not going to pull guys. I want them to learn how to fight under pressure. So you know what? Stay in there and fight. Get the guys to block for you, and let’s go. So that is not my mentality.”

Zimmer’s tough-love coaching is one big reason the Vikings are 5-1, but if he gets this quarterback hurt, he will be watching Hill play in December, and he will be hunting come January. Sometimes discretion is the better part of coaching.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

Mothman wrote:I'm wondering how people feel about Zimmer's decision to keep Bradford in the game after it was out of reach on Sunday. This is from Jim Souhan's column:

http://www.startribune.com/sam-bradford ... 398120531/
In a nutshell Zimmer personally did Bradford a favour keeping him in. He gained a little bit back from the TD pass, and pulling him would of been the icing on the cake for the home fans. Hopefully, he can take a bit of momentum from the Patterson TD to Monday night.
However, i do agree that it would of been in the interests of the team if he'd of been pulled. One hit and our season gets a lot harder to pull off.
It's a tough one. But i would always take the decision of Zimmer over anyone every time.