Harrison Smith is pretty awesome and flies planes

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Harrison Smith is pretty awesome and flies planes

Post by dead_poet »

Worth the read.

The NFL's most anonymous star, Vikings S Harrison Smith prefers to fly under the radar

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/10/19/harris ... twitter_si
Spielman recalls when he hired Mike Zimmer as his coach, in 2014, and the two men sat down to discuss what they would try to build. They talked about the type of players they wanted on the field, and the type of men they wanted off of it. “And as we came up with our ideal,” Spielman says, “we found we were describing Harrison Smith.”
Back in his office the GM picks up a silver Vikings pen, the same kind he gives to every rookie who signs a contract with Minnesota. This off-season, after Smith agreed to a new five-year, $51.3 million deal (which made him the NFL’s highest paid safety), Spielman proffered a new pen—but Smith declined. Then Smith took out the same pen he’d been given four years earlier and used that. “He’s the only player ever to do that,” Spielman says. A month later, as the Vikings’ veterans drove to training camp in Mankato, Smith instead rode the bus with the rookies. That was another first for Spielman.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Re: Harrison Smith is pretty awesome and flies planes

Post by Just Me »

Thanks for posting. Everytime I think I couldn't admire Smith more, I find out something like this. I may have to switch my avatar to the "new 22".
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Fantastic read. Harrison sounds like such a cool cat.

I liked this:
Two seasons ago the Vikings miked up Harrison for one game, hoping to get the kind of raw, honest audio that NFL Films often delivers. The result: “Just a lot of grunting,” says Spielman.
Also interesting was his stuttering issue when young.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Harrison Smith = Quality, on and off the field!

The Vikings are fortunate to have him.