View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:10 pm



Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Unusal schedule ahead... 
Author Message
Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:02 pm
Posts: 212
Post Unusal schedule ahead...
Starting on Oct 31st at Chicago the Vikings alternate Home and Away games for the entire rest of the season;

10/31 at Chicago
11/6 vs Lions
11/13 at Washington
11/20 vs Arizona
11/24 at Detroit (Thanksgiving)
12/1 vs Dallas
12/11 at Jacksonville
12/18 vs Indy
12/24 at GB
1/1/17 vs Chicago


Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:39 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:06 pm
Posts: 1252
Location: New Hope, MN
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
And they play on three holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years Day) and a should be holiday (Christmas Eve).


Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17767
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
akvikingsfan wrote:
And they play on three holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years Day) and a should be holiday (Christmas Eve).


Wow, interesting!

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 pm
Posts: 3072
Location: Sebastian, FL
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
akvikingsfan wrote:
And they play on three holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years Day) and a should be holiday (Christmas Eve).

That's so they can scare the c*** out of the Bears, Give thanks for beating the Lions and give us an early Christmas present by beating the Packers and start the New Year right. :)

_________________
It's not how many times you get knocked down that matters, it's how many times you get back up and try again.


Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:45 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
Raptorman wrote:
akvikingsfan wrote:
And they play on three holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years Day) and a should be holiday (Christmas Eve).

That's so they can scare the c*** out of the Bears, Give thanks for beating the Lions and give us an early Christmas present by beating the Packers and start the New Year right. :)


Well-answered! :appl:


Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:00 am
Profile
Backup

Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:58 pm
Posts: 53
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
The back to back Thursday games intrigues me, too.


Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:48 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1631
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
Side note. Would 09 be the last time we swept the Packers?


Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:33 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:21 pm
Posts: 823
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
I saw something like the eagles get to play their next four teams against teams that are all coming off extended rest. Thats some bad scheduling right there.


Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:08 pm
Profile
Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:02 pm
Posts: 212
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
dinolord05 wrote:
The back to back Thursday games intrigues me, too.


It's back-to-back Thursday's for Dallas too btw.

It will be nice to get another "mini" break after the Cowboy Thursday nighter.


Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:45 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 9:08 pm
Posts: 784
Location: Training Camp Central
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
akvikingsfan wrote:
And they play on three holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years Day) and a should be holiday (Christmas Eve).


:?: So what makes Halloween a holiday and not Christmas Eve???

_________________
Craig S
Image


Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:25 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10693
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
dinolord05 wrote:
The back to back Thursday games intrigues me, too.


Wait, we have two Thursday games?!?


Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:28 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:21 pm
Posts: 823
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
cstelter wrote:
akvikingsfan wrote:
And they play on three holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years Day) and a should be holiday (Christmas Eve).


:?: So what makes Halloween a holiday and not Christmas Eve???


Why would christmas eve be a holiday? that would mean thanksgiving eve, easter eve, christopher columbus eve, labor day eve, etc would be holidays too.


Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:47 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:06 pm
Posts: 1252
Location: New Hope, MN
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
Norv Zimmer wrote:
cstelter wrote:
akvikingsfan wrote:
And they play on three holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years Day) and a should be holiday (Christmas Eve).


:?: So what makes Halloween a holiday and not Christmas Eve???


Why would christmas eve be a holiday? that would mean thanksgiving eve, easter eve, christopher columbus eve, labor day eve, etc would be holidays too.


Essentially this. Eves aren't holidays. Halloween isn't a paid day off, but it is still recognized as a holiday.


Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10693
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
Norv Zimmer wrote:
cstelter wrote:
akvikingsfan wrote:
And they play on three holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years Day) and a should be holiday (Christmas Eve).


:?: So what makes Halloween a holiday and not Christmas Eve???


Why would christmas eve be a holiday? that would mean thanksgiving eve, easter eve, christopher columbus eve, labor day eve, etc would be holidays too.


I'm fine with making these holidays. Make post-christmas, post-thanksgiving, etc., holidays too!


Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:49 pm
Profile
Rookie

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:24 pm
Posts: 39
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
akvikingsfan wrote:
Essentially this. Eves aren't holidays. Halloween isn't a paid day off, but it is still recognized as a holiday.


Time to be "that guy" - by your own definition Halloween isn't a holiday. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween :
Quote:
Halloween, or Hallowe'en (a contraction of All Hallows’ Evening), also known as Allhalloween, All Hallows' Eve, or All Saints' Eve,is a celebration observed in a number of countries on 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day. It begins the three-day observance of Allhallowtide, the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed.


Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:22 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3226
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
daff wrote:
akvikingsfan wrote:
Essentially this. Eves aren't holidays. Halloween isn't a paid day off, but it is still recognized as a holiday.


Time to be "that guy" - by your own definition Halloween isn't a holiday. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween :
Quote:
Halloween, or Hallowe'en (a contraction of All Hallows’ Evening), also known as Allhalloween, All Hallows' Eve, or All Saints' Eve,is a celebration observed in a number of countries on 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day. It begins the three-day observance of Allhallowtide, the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed.


The day we get to mock Death's powerlessness! So much fun.


Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:35 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 9:08 pm
Posts: 784
Location: Training Camp Central
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
Norv Zimmer wrote:
cstelter wrote:
akvikingsfan wrote:
And they play on three holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years Day) and a should be holiday (Christmas Eve).


:?: So what makes Halloween a holiday and not Christmas Eve???


Why would christmas eve be a holiday? that would mean thanksgiving eve, easter eve, christopher columbus eve, labor day eve, etc would be holidays too.


The OP clearly felt Halloween was a holiday and Christmas Eve *should be* a holiday. My question was why one would think Halloween *is* a holiday, not the other way around.

To me a holiday is a day someone somewhere gets off work. I've never thought either Christmas Eve or Halloween should be called Holidays. No more than All Saints day should be a holiday or Valentines Day or St. Patrick's day. My question was what raises Halloween to holiday status.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dict ... sh/holiday : a day for celebration when many people are allowed to stay away from work or school:

I' not aware of any practice where many people are allowed to stay away from work or school on Halloween. Christmas Eve moreso, but they all lump together to me as non-holidays.

But googling around, it seem the prevailing opinion is that Halloween is a holiday, though I'm a bit lost by that.

_________________
Craig S
Image


Last edited by cstelter on Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:42 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3226
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
cstelter wrote:

To me a holiday is a day someone somewhere gets off work. So I was questioning why someone would call Halloween a holiday, not why one would not call Christmas Eve a holiday. I never thought either Christmas Eve or Halloween should be called Holidays. No more than All Saints day should be a holiday or Valentines Day or St. Patrick's day. My question was what raises Halloween to holiday status.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dict ... sh/holiday : a day for celebration when many people are allowed to stay away from work or school:

I' not aware of any practice where many people are allowed to stay away from work or school on Halloween. Christmas Eve moreso, but they all lump together to me as non-holidays.

But googling around, it seem the prevailing opinion is that Halloween is a holiday, though I'm a bit lost by that.


I always assumed it was "Holy Day", which gradually transitioned into, "day off" or "vacation", like "going on holiday".


Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:55 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 9:08 pm
Posts: 784
Location: Training Camp Central
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
fiestavike wrote:
cstelter wrote:

To me a holiday is a day someone somewhere gets off work. So I was questioning why someone would call Halloween a holiday, not why one would not call Christmas Eve a holiday. I never thought either Christmas Eve or Halloween should be called Holidays. No more than All Saints day should be a holiday or Valentines Day or St. Patrick's day. My question was what raises Halloween to holiday status.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dict ... sh/holiday : a day for celebration when many people are allowed to stay away from work or school:

I' not aware of any practice where many people are allowed to stay away from work or school on Halloween. Christmas Eve moreso, but they all lump together to me as non-holidays.

But googling around, it seem the prevailing opinion is that Halloween is a holiday, though I'm a bit lost by that.


I always assumed it was "Holy Day", which gradually transitioned into, "day off" or "vacation", like "going on holiday".


Yeah-- but again, Halloween is just all hallows eve as noted so it's not really a "holy day" either. I just found it curious that it seems obvious to people that Halloween is a holiday and Christmas Eve is not when they seem pretty much identical in my mind. I just never thought of either of them as holidays.

_________________
Craig S
Image


Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:58 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 9:08 pm
Posts: 784
Location: Training Camp Central
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
Back on topic, it seems to me that the 4 most worrisome games upcoming in my mind are going to be one of the Detroit games, the GB game, Dal, and AZ. That said, I think we have a fighting chance in all of them and this team seems to be a fighter, so I'm just in for the ride.

_________________
Craig S
Image


Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:03 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3226
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
cstelter wrote:
Back on topic, it seems to me that the 4 most worrisome games upcoming in my mind are going to be one of the Detroit games, the GB game, Dal, and AZ. That said, I think we have a fighting chance in all of them and this team seems to be a fighter, so I'm just in for the ride.


I am a huge fan of the Mike Zimmer era Vikings. They have a lot of the qualities that make them serious contenders.


Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:07 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:47 am
Posts: 10040
Location: Burbank, California
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
cstelter wrote:
Back on topic, it seems to me that the 4 most worrisome games upcoming in my mind are going to be one of the Detroit games, the GB game, Dal, and AZ. That said, I think we have a fighting chance in all of them and this team seems to be a fighter, so I'm just in for the ride.


I agree. Those games present real challenges.

When it comes to NFC North games, one can throw the stats, win/loss records, and everything else out the window. Anything can happen.


Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:19 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 pm
Posts: 3072
Location: Sebastian, FL
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
cstelter wrote:

The OP clearly felt Halloween was a holiday and Christmas Eve *should be* a holiday. My question was why one would think Halloween *is* a holiday, not the other way around.

To me a holiday is a day someone somewhere gets off work. I've never thought either Christmas Eve or Halloween should be called Holidays. No more than All Saints day should be a holiday or Valentines Day or St. Patrick's day. My question was what raises Halloween to holiday status.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dict ... sh/holiday : a day for celebration when many people are allowed to stay away from work or school:

I' not aware of any practice where many people are allowed to stay away from work or school on Halloween. Christmas Eve moreso, but they all lump together to me as non-holidays.

But googling around, it seem the prevailing opinion is that Halloween is a holiday, though I'm a bit lost by that.


Demand the day off. If they don't give it to you, call in dead. :D

_________________
It's not how many times you get knocked down that matters, it's how many times you get back up and try again.


Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:38 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1631
Post Re: Unusal schedule ahead...
Halloween is a "Holiday" because "All Hallow's eve" is the celebration time. There isn't a celebration on "All Hallows"

Samhain night versus Samhain day if you want to go with the Gaelic Equivalent. You celebrate on the day of the "night" (Oct. 31st) and the "Day" is just what you initially call what comes after (Nov 1st)

In other Words, all Hallow's eve is a descriptor of the event the same way saying "the exit before the 694 exit" It doesn't have anything to do with the 694 exit or All Hallows, its just the frame of reference.


In the Defense of Christmas eve though, pretty much everyone I know does their present Christmas Eve night. I think they are all Terrible, terrible heathens but still, a lot of people do a lot of special "holiday" stuff on Christmas Eve.



Also, could someone point me to the vikings message board? I appear to have gotten lost.


Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:06 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 808vikingsfan, Google [Bot] and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.