Play calling

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Play calling

Post by autobon7 »

At the very least I would have thrown in the flat to Asiata.....which has more often than not gained good yardage. Prolly not 30 but better than the run we watched.[/quote]

If you're still probably not going to get 30 then why not go with the play that has the lower chance of a turnover?[/quote]

Better field position after the punt
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

autobon7 wrote:At the very least I would have thrown in the flat to Asiata.....which has more often than not gained good yardage. Prolly not 30 but better than the run we watched.
If you're still probably not going to get 30 then why not go with the play that has the lower chance of a turnover?[/quote]

Better field position after the punt[/quote]

And a MUCH MUCH MUCH higher chance of Pick 6.

powers of magnitude more risky then a run up the gut.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

That Madden video game got OP thinking 3rd and 30 is a high percentage down and distance.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

PacificNorseWest wrote:That Madden video game got OP thinking 3rd and 30 is a high percentage down and distance.
Actually, I dont play madden. I am just saying why not throw it deep on 3rd and 30, maybe get a completion, pass interference. Just try, seems more likely to keep a drive going than a 3rd and 30 draw to asiata.
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

As to the original post, the answer is "Norv."

As to another point, yes, the Vikes are 5-0 and playing a relaxed offense in the 3rd going into the 4th might be smart/safe football, but if points can come quickly in the first half, they can come quickly in the second.

I'd rather win 42-10 instead of 30-10. Yep, I'm greedy. I want to see a deep run throughout the playoffs, culminating in a win in the big one.

I hate knowing my favorite team is the "best team to Never win a Super Bowl."

Come on Vikes, let's get there, and how 'bout playing the Bills in the big one? That would be a war!

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Norv Zimmer wrote: Actually, I dont play madden. I am just saying why not throw it deep on 3rd and 30, maybe get a completion, pass interference. Just try, seems more likely to keep a drive going than a 3rd and 30 draw to asiata.
I was just joking with ya, man....

Refresh my memory though...Wasn't this in the 3rd quarter?...Maybe not, but what was the situation? The score, where were they on the field and what was the score at that time?
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Defense will be playing deep and not let anything get over them. A draw is a perfect play under the circumstance. I really don't see the issue here.

I thought this thread was going to be about how unpredictable the play calling has been since Bradford arrived and Peterson got hurt.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Because Norv has no imagination. His best play for that is some kinda of bubble screen even if the 10 Texans are over there waiting for it. But there were other game I thought Zim would be outsmarted and he wasnt. Im so afraid we are going to lose Zim this year or near. Money talks.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Texas Vike wrote:
Situational football.

We were up big at that point, no reason to choose a high risk play that may get you 30 yards, but that may also end up getting you a pick 6. At that point, they were controlling the game by maneuvering for field position and letting our dominant D do their thing. We then receive a punt, which Sherels may return for a TD, and if not allows our O to start roughly at the same spot with a new set of downs.

I'm not saying I entirely agree with the play call, but it is conservative and prudent football, given the context.
Chances of throwing a pick 6 on a 50 yard bomb are nil, that's not a good counter
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

IrishViking wrote:
And a MUCH MUCH MUCH higher chance of Pick 6.

powers of magnitude more risky then a run up the gut.
lol? on a deep throw? like 98% of pick 6 plays are outs that are jumped or safeties/linebackers jumping crosses. Rest are probably tipped balls, and an extremely small % are deep throws, lets be real here
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Boon wrote: lol? on a deep throw? like 98% of pick 6 plays are outs that are jumped or safeties/linebackers jumping crosses. Rest are probably tipped balls, and an extremely small % are deep throws, lets be real here

We were talking about a pass to Asiata on the flat? Its like the number one play type in the game of football to be jumped for a pick-six... :confused:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

IrishViking wrote:
We were talking about a pass to Asiata on the flat? Its like the number one play type in the game of football to be jumped for a pick-six... :confused:
I think he lost track of the conversation like i did... I thought you were saying a deep throw had a higher chance of a pick 6 as well.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

PacificNorseWest wrote: I was just joking with ya, man....

Refresh my memory though...Wasn't this in the 3rd quarter?...Maybe not, but what was the situation? The score, where were they on the field and what was the score at that time?
I don't really care what point of the game it is, what the score is, what the situation of the game is. I just think that a asiata running play on 3rd and 30 is moronic and shows that you are not even trying to keep the drive going.

It really shouldn't matter what the game situation is, running a draw on 3rd and 30 is pretty much admitting that you are fine with a crappy drive.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

lol? on a deep throw? like 98% of pick 6 plays are outs that are jumped or safeties/linebackers jumping crosses. Rest are probably tipped balls, and an extremely small % are deep throws, lets be real here[/quote]

We were talking about a pass to Asiata on the flat? Its like the number one play type in the game of football to be jumped for a pick-six... :confused:[/quote]
I think he lost track of the conversation like i did... I thought you were saying a deep throw had a higher chance of a pick 6 as well.[/quote]

Thats what I was thinking he meant too. I was saying throw a bomb and maybe get a completion, maybe get a PI call, maybe throw a 50 yard pick which would equal a punt imo.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Norv Zimmer wrote:. I was saying throw a bomb and maybe get a completion, maybe get a PI call, maybe throw a 50 yard pick which would equal a punt imo.
Remember that those picks are returnable. Sure, punts are too, but without the added benefit of organization and, importantly, hang time. It's not as simple as "throw a deep pass that could be intercepted." Those have a greater likelihood for substantial return yards vs a punt that (depending on field position and coverage) offers little to no return yardage and flipping field position.

Given the typical defensive alignment on a third-and-30, the success rate (including possible PI) is pretty low when you're not throwing against Waynes. It's hard enough to complete 30-yard passes in this league, much less attempt them when a defense is aligned specifically in a disadvantageous position with multiple DBs hanging back 20 yards.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly