Jake Long

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RFIP
Veteran

Jake Long

Post by RFIP »

I read where the Vikings are bringing him in this week and I hope they sign him. Move TJ to the bench because he's no LT and Sirles is the better RT frankly.

Give me Long and Sirles as my tackles starting in Philly and this team is that much better!
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: Jake Long

Post by halfgiz »

RFIP wrote:I read where the Vikings are bringing him in this week and I hope they sign him. Move TJ to the bench because he's no LT and Sirles is the better RT frankly.

Give me Long and Sirles as my tackles starting in Philly and this team is that much better!
It almost sounds like they are going to bring in more than Long.
Jake Long among O-linemen who Vikings will consider during bye as injuries mount. Long has history w/ Tony Sparano, Vikes O-line coach.
Curious to see how Longs knees check out.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

halfgiz wrote: It almost sounds like they are going to bring in more than Long.
Curious to see how Longs knees check out.
Someone brought him in a couple weeks ago and almost signed him, I can't recall who that was, Atlanta maybe?

I hate when stuff like this leaks out because the Vikes are DESPERATE for help and now another team can beat them to the punch.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

If he was that good,then why is Long still sitting around unsigned? It will be interesting to see who Rick comes up with.
We really need some depth on the line.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

halfgiz wrote:If he was that good,then why is Long still sitting around unsigned? It will be interesting to see who Rick comes up with.
We really need some depth on the line.
Last word on Long was he was released from the Ravens in July due to a problematic physical. He's an older version of Kalil with his broken lower body. Even so, that might be a degree or two up from the worst starting LT in the league so whatever. Sure.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I'm still upset Rick didn't sign Okung. Ugh.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:I'm still upset Rick didn't sign Okung. Ugh.
Too expensive to me,although i wouldn't have complained too much if they had. Who are FAs this next offseason?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Given the injuries to OL this isn't surprising. To the guy who said we are desperate, I think that writing was on the wall when both Tackles got hurt. You can't really hide the fact that both guards have now been knocked out of games and both OT are not playing due to injuries.

Have to give Sparano credit, the group has rebounded in the face of some significant competition. Who would have expected after the performances in week 1 and week 2 that the group would up improved performances against the likes of CAR and HOU?

It's ugly, but we've managed to not just tread water, but also make some improvement along the way. Will it be enough? That is the question... Good news is after Philly our schedule softens up some.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Jake Long can't stay on a roster and it's for a reason. Vikings are desperate, so it's worth a shot, but they relentlessly keep looking for a band-aid and it's real concern going forward. I can just see them getting into the playoffs and having to play Seattle...That defense will kill these guys and it could be what sends the Vikings home, short of expectations.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Well they played SEA last year in the playoffs with a bad OL situation and survived last year... Through 5 games I think the 2016 OL is doing a better job of pass protecting than the 2015 group did. Last year the right side was non-existent.

SEA is not what it was 2-3 seasons ago. I'd fear DEN more although they got worked over hard yesterday. Heck the Texans group we faced yesterday was a legitimate playoff defense... This offense deserves some credit for that. It isn't super showy or anything, but they executed and got it done.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mansquatch wrote:Well they played SEA last year in the playoffs with a bad OL situation and survived last year... Through 5 games I think the 2016 OL is doing a better job of pass protecting than the 2015 group did. Last year the right side was non-existent.

SEA is not what it was 2-3 seasons ago. I'd fear DEN more although they got worked over hard yesterday. Heck the Texans group we faced yesterday was a legitimate playoff defense... This offense deserves some credit for that. It isn't super showy or anything, but they executed and got it done.

I'd hate to face HOU with both Clowney and Watt. That's a formidable DL. Mercilus was excellent yesterday too.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I wonder if there is any chance they can coax Big Phil out of retirement
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Would anyone be upset if we gave up a 3rd for Joe Thomas?
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

YikesVikes wrote:Would anyone be upset if we gave up a 3rd for Joe Thomas?
It would take more than that because the browns hold all the cards. They don't care if they win or lose right now.

I am thinking a 2nd and a 5th for him.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Norv Zimmer wrote: It would take more than that because the browns hold all the cards. They don't care if they win or lose right now.

I am thinking a 2nd and a 5th for him.

And with their first pick of the 2017 draft the Vikings select Joe smhoe in the 5th round