What is Teddy Bridgewater's future?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Re: What is Teddy Bridgewater's future?

Post by IrishViking »

ALL of this is premature. Its been FIVE games. FIVE.

What if Saint Bradford starts throwing 1TD and 1INT in every game and we limp into the playoffs on the Defense and we lose on a two INT bradford game?

Its football, He is not about to be the first starter in history to go 15-0 with 4500 yards 25tds and no interceptions and a season QBR above 120. Brady, Rodgers, and Peyton at their BEST had stinkers.

This Bandwagon needs to slow its roll.
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

Honestly, if Bradford continues to play this way a lot of things will change in the off season. Personally I think Teddy was poised for a breakout season prior to the injury, this is based on his camp, increased velocity on his throws and the ridiculous passes he was throwing during preseason. But lets get this straight here, his injury was bad......like really bad and the vikings, and the fans have no idea weather teddy will ever come back.

If Bradford stays healthy and continues to play at a high level here is what I think will happen:

Adrian is gone, there is no way we can afford Bradfords and AD's contracts in combination, not to mention he is obviously on the decline (Personally I think this decision has already been made)

We are going to spend the entire offseason working on the Offensive line

I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft a kicker in the next draft

If Bradford takes us deep in the playoffs, as much as it pains me I think Teddy is trade bait that a team like the Browns would jump on. (Regardless of how I personally feel about Teddy, the NFL is a business and I think Teddy would be dealt)

I think Spielman has finally learned his lesson and will draft a backup QB in the later rounds.

Just my thoughts.
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Firstly, having some REALLY good competition brings out the best of a real athlete and leader....this should light a fire under Teddy to start getting aggressive and hitting downfield receivers....if not, well then he just doesnt have it in him

Secondly, with our crappy OL, it is NOT likely that Bradford will last a whole season.....between Clemmings, Kalil, and Fusco....we NEED to carry 2 really good QBs if we really plan on succeeding in the post-seeason.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Very Premature...

There is no guarantee TB plays another down. (Although I think that particular outcome is unlikely.) I think he likely starts next year on the PUP list, if not, then good for us. Either way, this situation is highly dependent on Bradford's performance. If Bradford maintains this level of play (or gets better, which is possible, he is still rather new to the team) I would be SHOCKED if the Vikings didn't keep him as their QB. A lot can change though. Bradford has a well documented history of fragility. What happens if next season he blow out another knee and old TB takes the reigns? Not out of the realm of possibility. I think we should just enjoy the fact that for the first time in forever we have two legitimate starting QB on the roster.

On AP: I don't think AP is for certain gone next season. What is for certain gone is his cap hit. However, AP's bargaining power at this stage is low. Despite his obvious equity, he is ancient bv RB standards. I see three scenarios for him:

A.) He goes to a contender on a team friendly contract to attempt to get his SB ring.
B.) He remains desperate to play NFL football and just goes to whomever will let him start.
C.) Dallas calls and he fulfills his dream to play for the Cowboys

My thought is that A is more likely than B or C at this point. So then the question becomes who? The Vikings are a contender and he at least seems to be happy to play here. So why not stay on a lower salary to get a ring in purple? His being gone is probably dependent on his willingness to accept a lower deal here vs. turning it down and then having the FA market show him the truth. (Think Winfield) One other thought is that the Texans offer him a deal and then he can play in his home state of Texas.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

On a related note:
Part of the reason the Vikings traded for Bradford was the fact that he was signed through 2017, given the uncertainty surrounding Bridgewater's recovery timetable, and the question eventually will have to be raised whether the Vikings should commit to Bradford longer than that. He doesn't turn 29 until November, and according to ESPN Stats and Information, he has the seventh-highest passer rating in the league (101.2) since Week 8 last year.

The discussion of Bradford's future in Minnesota might be a topic for a few months from now, but it's getting easier to see it on the horizon. He's playing in a way that engenders job security, and in a year when the Vikings keep soldiering forward through uncertainty, they certainly have to be glad he's theirs.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

If the season ended today I'm not sure there would be any debate on who the starter should be. Bradford is playing how we had "hoped" Teddy might play. He doesn't have TB's mobility, but he has much more arm than TB. I still stand by what I said earlier: At this point we should just be happy to be here and leave it at that. Let's just focus on playing in and winning a game in February and leave the budding QB controversy for the off season.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:If the season ended today I'm not sure there would be any debate on who the starter should be. Bradford is playing how we had "hoped" Teddy might play. He doesn't have TB's mobility, but he has much more arm than TB. I still stand by what I said earlier: At this point we should just be happy to be here and leave it at that. Let's just focus on playing in and winning a game in February and leave the budding QB controversy for the off season.

I doubt it will ever reach the point of a full-fledged controversy but I hear what you're saying.

I think there are several hurdles to jump before worrying about who will ultimately get the job. The most obvious is the remainder of this season and the next will be how the Vikes choose to handle both QBs in the offseason, before they ever get to training camp.

Never a dull moment...
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

This is one of two threads I'd avoided because I just didn't see the point of participating... but what the heck.

I'll be concise: the position is important enough to warrant two solid players. Things will work themselves out over time. This is not a problem at all. Now our OL situation? Uff dah, that's a do-sey right der!
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

teddy who? the passing game looks the best it has in 7 years.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Minnesota Vikings backup until his contract runs out. And maybe even after that. Has played like an ideal backup.

Or he can go to another team and spew all over them like the teams last two anointed starters. :evil:
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Texas Vike wrote:This is one of two threads I'd avoided because I just didn't see the point of participating... but what the heck.

I'll be concise: the position is important enough to warrant two solid players. Things will work themselves out over time. This is not a problem at all. Now our OL situation? Uff dah, that's a do-sey right der!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Things will work themselves out over time. This is not a problem at all.
Considering our general manager. I'm not sure how you can be that sure.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Interesting thought for Jim I hadn't considered until now: the Vikings have spent 2 first-round draft picks on the quarterback position in the last 3 years.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

That is true on the draft picks, but the 2nd first rounder was a very extreme set of circumstances. This would have been a lost year with Hill starting all 16 games. I find it hard to argue against the decision: The entire Defense is in it's prime and the window on that side of the ball is wide open. That would have been completely wasted with Shaun Hill at QB.

It is painful for the long term, but the move is showing to be reasonable in the near term.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Demi wrote: Considering our general manager. I'm not sure how you can be that sure.

True. If I were GM, I would not view it as a problem to have two solid options at the most important position. I would view it as a major strength and a key to our team's future success. They both have a history with injuries and our OL play makes future injuries a distinct possibility, so having two solid QBs makes sense.

Furthermore, why fret about something that may or may not become an issue down the road when we have other issues that are pressing us right now?