Peter King - Sam Bradford is 1st quarter NFL MVP

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Peter King - Sam Bradford is 1st quarter NFL MVP

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: It was a bold move but a smart move, especially since they weren't terribly well-prepared for the loss of their starting QB (not that it's easy). They practically had to make a bold move and to their credit, they got it done. Now they're 4-0 and Peter King is viewing Bradford as an MVP candidate. Not a bad start... :)
Especially true given that Peter King tabs either Aaron Rodgers or Ben Roethlisberger as MVP every preseason, right about the same time he picks the Packers and Steelers for the Super Bowl. For him to notice any player not wearing green or black is a minor miracle.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

especially since they weren't terribly well-prepared for the loss of their starting QB
Considering how Bradford has played, and what we had seen of Teddy, I don't think they were terribly well-prepared with their starting QB. :confused:

Same could be said for the starting left tackle, and running back from what we've seen. :fam:
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

IrishViking wrote: The part that worries me though is even at his production level right now, it doesn't close the book on Teddy, unless he literally goes interceptionless. Teddy looked like he was going to have a 20+ TD year and around 4000+ yards which is what Bradford is on pace for. Then if Teddy comes back and looks good you have a hardish choice.
If Bradford is playing as well as he has, how would we ever know Teddy "looks good"? He won't be playing! I don't know how you can say Teddy looked like he was going to have a 20+ TD year and 4000+ yards, when he has never done so before. I thought he looked improved in preseason too, but preseason doesn't count and its often not a reliable predictor of regular season performance or stats.

It may not "close the book" on Teddy, but you don't choose starting QBs based on their projected improvement when you have someone on the field already showing that improvement, and more. Bradford is making throws even the projected, improved Bridgewater couldn't make. So the choice on who will start will not be very hardish. But I'd prefer to wait before speculating too much, because we don't even know if that choice will ever need to be made.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Either way, Teddy is under contract for two more years. Bradford is for one more year. Now we will finally have tye competition at QB that many of us have begged for, assuming Teddy comes back healthy.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Mothman wrote:
I'd say David Carr and Matt Ryan are both quarterbacks who are making a pretty good case for it so far.

Maybe it should go to Linval Joseph. :)
I have to give you a hard time with this because I live in the Carr's hometown...good ole Bakersfield. You meant Derek, just wanted to note that the Carr family is awesome-they are as humble as you can get. I coached with their cousin and he was a good dude as well. Was upset we didn't draft Derek, but chips fall as they may! Skol Sam.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Either way, Teddy is under contract for two more years. Bradford is for one more year. Now we will finally have tye competition at QB that many of us have begged for, assuming Teddy comes back healthy.
Which is a big assumption, at least in terms of being a good NFL QB.

Bridgewater is currently under contract for one more year. The Vikings can pick up his 5th year option next May but will they do so? This is from a breakdown of Bridgewater's contract when it was signed back in 2014:
If he's playing well enough to merit the Vikings picking up his fifth-year option, he'd make the average salary of the third- through 25th-highest paid QBs in the league; that option was worth about $9.7 million this season.
It's probably safe to assume the price would still be in that ballpark (perhaps a little higher?) and if I recall correctly, once the option is picked up it's guaranteed against injury. I'm guessing that includes pre-existing injuries but I'm not sure. If Bradford looks like a long-term solution for them as a starter, they'll need to seriously consider extending his deal beyond 2017. Would they be willing to commit another $10 million or so in cap dollars to Bridgewater for 2018 just so he can compete for the job? At that point, they may not even know with certainty if he can play again and that's a lot to pay for a guy who could end up being the backup QB. It's even more to commit to a player who might not be able to play at all.

Bridgewater's injury is potentially career-ending.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

cmoss84 wrote:I have to give you a hard time with this because I live in the Carr's hometown...good ole Bakersfield. You meant Derek...
:oops: You're right, of course, I did mean Derek. I'm embarrassed that I made that mistake. Believe me, I know better because...
... just wanted to note that the Carr family is awesome-they are as humble as you can get. I coached with their cousin and he was a good dude as well. Was upset we didn't draft Derek, but chips fall as they may! Skol Sam.
I wanted the Vikes to draft Derek too! I thought he was the right fit for them and I was very enthusiastic about him going into that draft. I've been impressed with how he's progressed with the Raiders too.

Thanks for the info re: the Carr's family.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Man, Bradford was sharp again today against the Texans -- 22-for-30 for 271 and 2 TDs. Once again, no turnovers. QBR of 123.

Who's playing better than this guy?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Man, Bradford was sharp again today against the Texans -- 22-for-30 for 271 and 2 TDs. Once again, no turnovers. QBR of 123.

Who's playing better than this guy?
He's gotta be thinking "wow this is easy" playing for a team that doesn't depend on him to throw it 50+ times and gives him a comfy lead game after game haha.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

The win over the Houston Texans was the best game of Sam Bradford’s career. It was his highest quarterback rating in a game with more than 20 passes (123.1) and the third highest yards per attempt (9.0). Not to mention he tossed a pair of touchdowns and completed 73.3% of his passes.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2016/ ... vs-texans/
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

I am sorta hoping he has a rough game or two before the playoffs. This is awesome but it really would calm my nerves to see him claw back after having some unlucky breaks or having a defense romp on him for a half. Carolina sorta showed it, but I really don't want his first INT to be in the NFCCG or the Superbowl.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

IrishViking wrote:I am sorta hoping he has a rough game or two before the playoffs. This is awesome but it really would calm my nerves to see him claw back after having some unlucky breaks or having a defense romp on him for a half. Carolina sorta showed it, but I really don't want his first INT to be in the NFCCG or the Superbowl.
Yeah, let's combine the horrors of '98 and '09 where, reminiscent of Gary Anderson going into the NFCCG perfect, Bradford throws his first pick on their last drive of the NFCCG to essentially lose the game ala Favre.

It would be just like the Vikings. :lol: