2nd Quarter Predictions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

What will the Vikings record be for the second quarter of the season?

0-4
No votes
1-3
No votes
2-2
11%
3-1
43%
4-0
46%

Total votes: 37

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: 2nd Quarter Predictions

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Good, they usually lose when you are there :smilevike: :spanking:
Good? GOOD?!

You're mean, Josh. Plus, they won with me there last year. Maybe now they need me there to win.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: Good? GOOD?!

You're mean, Josh. Plus, they won with me there last year. Maybe now they need me there to win.

Lol, I guess we will find out. How come you aren't going?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

I picked 3-1, but the upcoming 4 games aren't very daunting. They could wind up 8-0, the way this defense has made offenses look ugly. But they wont run the table, and maybe a humbling loss might start a serious fire. Before the season started, I had them 13-3. And I still think that could be realistic.

This team is doing one important thing, that championships are made of. Forcing TOs and not giving them. If they keep that up, they very well could give us the one thing we have never had.
This space available for rent.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Of the upcoming 4 opponents, the Eagles are by far the most prolific on offense, ranking 2nd in the NFL at 30.7 PPG. They are equally impressive defensively, giving up an average of 9 PPG, good for best in the league (having played one less game than the Vikings).

If I had to pick a loss, that would be my pick based solely on the fact that the Vikes will be on the road against a team that is performing really well.

I think the Vikings should win the other three games. 2 are against teams that are struggling offensively (the Texans rank 29th @ 17.3 PPG and the Bears are tied for dead last @ 15.5 PPG). Neither of those teams present much of a threat to the defense. Defensively, the Titans are statistically tough, ranking 8th @ 18.3 PPG, but with JJ Watt sidelined they are likely to be less effective than that would indicate against the Vikings. The Bears rank 19th @ 24.3 PPG. I think the Vikings offense should be able to move the ball and score against both of those teams.

The Lions likewise look fairly weak defensively, ranking 20th behind the Bears @ 25.5 PPG. Offensively Detroit has been better, ranking 13th @ 23.8 PPG. They aren't strong enough on either side of the ball to really threaten the Vikings.

I think the Eagles might end up being the best team the Vikings play all year and might be a preview of a playoff matchup if both teams continue trending as they are right now.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

VikingLord wrote:Of the upcoming 4 opponents, the Eagles are by far the most prolific on offense, ranking 2nd in the NFL at 30.7 PPG. They are equally impressive defensively, giving up an average of 9 PPG, good for best in the league (having played one less game than the Vikings).

If I had to pick a loss, that would be my pick based solely on the fact that the Vikes will be on the road against a team that is performing really well.

I think the Vikings should win the other three games. 2 are against teams that are struggling offensively (the Texans rank 29th @ 17.3 PPG and the Bears are tied for dead last @ 15.5 PPG). Neither of those teams present much of a threat to the defense. Defensively, the Titans are statistically tough, ranking 8th @ 18.3 PPG, but with JJ Watt sidelined they are likely to be less effective than that would indicate against the Vikings. The Bears rank 19th @ 24.3 PPG. I think the Vikings offense should be able to move the ball and score against both of those teams.

The Lions likewise look fairly weak defensively, ranking 20th behind the Bears @ 25.5 PPG. Offensively Detroit has been better, ranking 13th @ 23.8 PPG. They aren't strong enough on either side of the ball to really threaten the Vikings.

I think the Eagles might end up being the best team the Vikings play all year and might be a preview of a playoff matchup if both teams continue trending as they are right now.
Lets keep in mind, two of those wins were against Cleveland and Chicago. Both those teams have issues. The Pitt game was a bit stunning tho, but I need to see more.
This space available for rent.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I have to say 4-0 because this isn't your normal football / vikings team. We are disciplined, strategically and tactically sound, coached extremely well, and VERY talented. Most mediocre to bad teams simply cannot compete against us and that's exactly what the bears and lions are. We've have ascended into elite team territory and elite teams don't drop games to this level of competition. This isn't the Brad childress wants to take all the power away from Favre so we lose to a bad bears and panthers kind of team either.

The Texans defense will be a good test for Sam and if he can remain turnover free but their offense with a young QB will go nowhere against us. The Patriots already put the blue print out on them and we've deleted Benjamin and ODB from the game, like literally they're just not there and we'll do the same to Hopkins. Fuller making a big play wouldn't surprise me much like the one long screen pass we gave up against the Giants but they won't be able to make much noise anywhere else. Would be nice to see Waynes on him to match speed vs speed.

PHI is playing great ball but they've beaten some real bad teams and a PIT team that is way worse on the road and doesn't play defense. I don't believe for a second that a rookie QB is going to torch our defense because, well, outside of maybe denver, no one plays defense even close to our level and style. I just find it hard to believe that the great A A Ron Rodgers, Cam Newton, and Eli Manning get dumpstered by our defense but a rookie lights us up.
dinolord05
Backup

Post by dinolord05 »

3-1. Philly looks damn good. If that game were at home, I'd change my vote. On the road, it's an uphill battle.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I'm curious to see how Wentz does against WSH. They won the NFC East last year, although it was worst division in the NFL. If Wentz struggles against them there is no way he does well against the Purple. There will be a TON of hype heading into the Philly game if both teams are still undefeated.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:I have to say 4-0 because this isn't your normal football / vikings team. We are disciplined, strategically and tactically sound, coached extremely well, and VERY talented. Most mediocre to bad teams simply cannot compete against us and that's exactly what the bears and lions are. We've have ascended into elite team territory and elite teams don't drop games to this level of competition.
Sure they do. Let's not become cocky. It's the NFL. ANY team can potentially compete against this Vikes team. The Vikes may have all the attributes you list above but that doesn't mean they aren't invulnerable.
PHI is playing great ball but they've beaten some real bad teams and a PIT team that is way worse on the road and doesn't play defense. I don't believe for a second that a rookie QB is going to torch our defense because, well, outside of maybe denver, no one plays defense even close to our level and style.
Seattle does. Philly's defense has been stifling so far (I know, they haven't played great competition but they can only play the games on their schedule). The Patriots defense has very impressive.
I just find it hard to believe that the great A A Ron Rodgers, Cam Newton, and Eli Manning get dumpstered by our defense but a rookie lights us up.
Maybe that won't happen but lighting the Vikes up isn't the only way to beat them. Shutting them down might work just as well and that seems entirely within the realm of possibility.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote: Sure they do. Let's not become cocky. It's the NFL. ANY team can potentially compete against this Vikes team. The Vikes may have all the attributes you list above but that doesn't mean they aren't invulnerable.
Seattle does. Philly's defense has been stifling so far (I know, they haven't played great competition but they can only play the games on their schedule). The Patriots defense has very impressive.
Maybe that won't happen but lighting the Vikes up isn't the only way to beat them. Shutting them down might work just as well and that seems entirely within the realm of possibility.
Hell, just not turning it over would probably make any team stiff competition for us.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:Hell, just not turning it over would probably make any team stiff competition for us.
If a team could do that, run the ball effectively and play soild defense, they'd probably have a real shot.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote: If a team could do that, run the ball effectively and play soild defense, they'd probably have a real shot.
At this point that's such a big IF and 2 of the leagues best QB's / Offenses (going off last year) in GB and CAR had no answer what so ever.

The Giants mixed it up and went super conservative and sure they limited turnovers and sacks but outside of one big play didn't really do much.

That's the problem, you either play loose / risky against us to try and score points or you go so conservative to be safe but don't get much done.

I freaking love it!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote: At this point that's such a big IF and 2 of the leagues best QB's / Offenses (going off last year) in GB and CAR had no answer what so ever.

Yes, but the games don't just consist of the Vikes defense vs. the opposing team's offense. Green Bay "had no answer" but they only lost by 3 points, on the road, in front of a very noisy crowd.
The Giants mixed it up and went super conservative and sure they limited turnovers and sacks but outside of one big play didn't really do much.

That's the problem, you either play loose / risky against us to try and score points or you go so conservative to be safe but don't get much done.

I freaking love it!
I do too. I guess I just don't like being cocky about it. :confused: Different strokes...
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

VikingLord wrote:Of the upcoming 4 opponents, the Eagles are by far the most prolific on offense, ranking 2nd in the NFL at 30.7 PPG. They are equally impressive defensively, giving up an average of 9 PPG, good for best in the league (having played one less game than the Vikings).

I would agree except for one thing. The Panthers have averaged 33 points per game over the last 16 games. How did that work for them last week? Not saying that the Eagles can't do it, but how much is what they are doing their offense as opposed to the other teams defense. Is the Pittsburgh game normal, or is the exception? That's the question.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Raptorman wrote: I would agree except for one thing. The Panthers have averaged 33 points per game over the last 16 games. How did that work for them last week? Not saying that the Eagles can't do it, but how much is what they are doing their offense as opposed to the other teams defense. Is the Pittsburgh game normal, or is the exception? That's the question.
Right, but that's another take that focuses primarily on the matchup between the Vikings defense and the opposing offense. That's only half the equation in any game. I don't know what the stats and rankings will look like after this weekend but right now, the Eagles represent an opponent that's scoring more effectively than the Vikings and holding opposing offenses to fewer points than the Vikings. Maybe the Vikes will hold Philly to 10 points as they did against Carolina but will they score more than 10 against a team that's allowed 10 or less to 2 of their 3 opponents?

Meanwhile, just so any lurking Texans fans don't get the wrong idea, this weekend's game could be a real challenge too.