The Three-year transformation of the Vikings' defense

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

The Three-year transformation of the Vikings' defense

Post by Mothman »

Here's a link to a good read about the Vikes defense, written by Ben Goessling:

The stunning three-year transformation of the Vikings' defense
While Zimmer is among the early adopters of the double-A gap blitz, he probably isn't the father of it -- that distinction goes to late Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson. Few have run it with more precision, though, and few have compiled a group of players who can cover enough ground to hold up in coverage the way the Vikings can.

"Think about it," Bowen said. "I think it was on the [Newman] interception: Anthony Barr drops out. He's immediately going to run under an inside route. He can get there faster than anyone else. Harrison Smith can drop out right over the tight end. The tight end's gone -- erase him. He's out of the play, too. Now there's two immediate reads that are gone. Now the quarterback's got to double-clutch, move his eyes. You don't have time for that. You can run that double-A gap blitz in the Turkey Bowl against your cousins and your uncle, and it's probably not going to look the same. But when you have the players in there -- if you bring Anthony Barr and Harrison Smith to your Turkey Bowl game, you're probably going to have some success."
That last part is clearly key because the personnel to make a scheme work is as important as the scheme and coaching itself. The Vikings have put together a defense with both the coaching and players to be among the best in the league and it sure is a pleasure to watch it paying dividends.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: The Three-year transformation of the Vikings' defense

Post by mansquatch »

For me last night was all about the coverage. Our pressure wasn't getting to Eli, at least not like it got to Newton. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with so many quick pass plays. In spite of that game plan, our D still made their three standout WR look pedestrian with the way they played coverage. An Impressive performance.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Honestly. I think Eli did the smart thing and I am amazed more QBs dont do it; if you are gonna get sacked just spike it or throw it away. Apart from blindsides or from behinds there is no reason no to chuck it away.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

One of the guys who really hasn't been mentioned this year is Sendejo. He seemed like such a massive liability last year but he's really held down his position rather well.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote:One of the guys who really hasn't been mentioned this year is Sendejo. He seemed like such a massive liability last year but he's really held down his position rather well.
He made a great tackle on 3rd down to force 4th and 1.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins