Giants @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 4

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Giants @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 4

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: I hope he lights it up next week. But just next week. They play the Packers.
Cheers to that.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

halfgiz wrote:Kendrick's was all over the field, but he had some misses.

I see him playing outside next year when they have 3 LBers in. I really think he'll be able to use his speed and ability to decipher the play a lot more effectively out there, and his lack of size/propensity to get run over or give up extra yards after impact will be minimized. I expect to add a "2 down thumper" in the middle via draft or FA once Greenway is gone.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

fiestavike wrote:
I see him playing outside next year when they have 3 LBers in. I really think he'll be able to use his speed and ability to decipher the play a lot more effectively out there, and his lack of size/propensity to get run over or give up extra yards after impact will be minimized. I expect to add a "2 down thumper" in the middle via draft or FA once Greenway is gone.
Brothers may be able to fill this role. He's a little small but a tackling machine.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

S197 wrote: Brothers may be able to fill this role. He's a little small but a tackling machine.
I would much rather have Lamur in there instead of Brothers. Lamur is solid in coverage. I look at him as a poor mans Anthony Barr. Lamur was a tackling machine in preseason too
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: Brothers may be able to fill this role. He's a little small but a tackling machine.
I think Brothers is terrible.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Noticed Barr not getting much love. He's doing the dirty work a lot of times taking out blockers, spying etc. IMO, he's making a lot of big plays that don't come out on the stat sheet.

Here's why Larry Donnell is hurt
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

808vikingsfan wrote:Noticed Barr not getting much love. He's doing the dirty work a lot of times taking out blockers, spying etc. IMO, he's making a lot of big plays that don't come out on the stat sheet.

Here's why Larry Donnell is hurt
Barr is a stud. This defense is full of so much talent it isn't funny. I hope they stay healthy and we can afford them down the road.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

A few things I noticed from the game - and the continual string of highlights of OBJ on TV:

*Harrison Smith was a real team leader out there. We think of him as a hard hitter (and maybe a little too hard at times, getting a few PF's), but he was the guy telling Rhodes to calm down in the first altercation. Also, I was really shocked to see Harrison put an easy block on OBJ after the interception. I think they now have rules against annihilating opponents on those returns, but still - Smith just put a normal obstruction block on OBJ to take him out of the play, and to avoid looking like a goon or a guy who was trying to put OBJ out of the game.

*I heard that OBJ and Rhodes worked out in the offseason - might even be buddies. There was one replay that I saw on the highlight shows (don't know if they showed it during the game) of Rhodes putting his arm around OBJ's shoulder near the Giants sideline and pointing to the Giants coaching staff. Without knowing that they worked together, it looked like taunting ('go sit on the sidelines, little baby'). Knowing that they knew each other, it actually looked to me like Rhodes was concerned for OBJ.

*Regarding the inevitable Br-adford/idgewater comparisons (full disclosure - I'd still rather have Teddy, based on the full bodies of their work, but I will be open minded), the first is that Sam has thrown 4 TD's in 3 games, not a whole lot more than Teddy does. Sam's on a pace for 20 for the season. Most of us figured Teddy for that. But I will say that the red-zone success in the last game is something we haven't seen much out of Teddy. And Sam was throwing some pretty sweet deep balls. Teddy did too, to Charles Johnson in 2014 (he and Wallace never clicked), but I have to be honest in saying I thought Sam on Monday was better on the deep ball than Teddy could have been. The other caveat is that Sam gets to throw out of the shotgun on the early downs, while Teddy was forced to be under center due to Peterson's presence. I'd love to be proven wrong on the Sam/Teddy thing by a deep run in the playoffs.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

John_Viveiros wrote:A few things I noticed from the game - and the continual string of highlights of OBJ on TV:

*Harrison Smith was a real team leader out there. We think of him as a hard hitter (and maybe a little too hard at times, getting a few PF's), but he was the guy telling Rhodes to calm down in the first altercation. Also, I was really shocked to see Harrison put an easy block on OBJ after the interception. I think they now have rules against annihilating opponents on those returns, but still - Smith just put a normal obstruction block on OBJ to take him out of the play, and to avoid looking like a goon or a guy who was trying to put OBJ out of the game.

*I heard that OBJ and Rhodes worked out in the offseason - might even be buddies. There was one replay that I saw on the highlight shows (don't know if they showed it during the game) of Rhodes putting his arm around OBJ's shoulder near the Giants sideline and pointing to the Giants coaching staff. Without knowing that they worked together, it looked like taunting ('go sit on the sidelines, little baby'). Knowing that they knew each other, it actually looked to me like Rhodes was concerned for OBJ.

*Regarding the inevitable Br-adford/idgewater comparisons (full disclosure - I'd still rather have Teddy, based on the full bodies of their work, but I will be open minded), the first is that Sam has thrown 4 TD's in 3 games, not a whole lot more than Teddy does. Sam's on a pace for 20 for the season. Most of us figured Teddy for that. But I will say that the red-zone success in the last game is something we haven't seen much out of Teddy. And Sam was throwing some pretty sweet deep balls. Teddy did too, to Charles Johnson in 2014 (he and Wallace never clicked), but I have to be honest in saying I thought Sam on Monday was better on the deep ball than Teddy could have been. The other caveat is that Sam gets to throw out of the shotgun on the early downs, while Teddy was forced to be under center due to Peterson's presence. I'd love to be proven wrong on the Sam/Teddy thing by a deep run in the playoffs.

Good observations. I had noticed the same thing about Harison-OBJ on Rhodes' interception. I was waiting for him to lower the boom and was surprised when he didn't.

Bradford misfired a few times Monday. He overshot Diggs twice pretty badly; one was on the first drive, another was on an important 3rd down. On one other ball I think CJ saved an interception by basically playing DB. Even so, as you point out, he has an accurate deep ball and it's a real asset.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

John_Viveiros wrote:A few things I noticed from the game - and the continual string of highlights of OBJ on TV:

The difference is as clear as night and day to me. Bradford's a more polished, accurate QB, throwing the deep ball better, throwing with NFL-caliber anticipation, into tight windows, etc. He's clearly superior in almost every facet of the game and don't forget the biggest caveat: he joined the team a month ago.

Regarding the TD pace: he's on pace to throw for 22 TDs and 0 INTs in a 16 game season. He's obviously likely to throw some picks this year and who knows where the TD number will actually end up but in terms of the pace, it's modest by NFL standards but actually IS "a whole lot more than Teddy does". Bridgewater threw for 14 TDs in 17 games last season, just 10 over the 16 he didn't play at home against the Bears.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote:
The difference is as clear as night and day to me. Bradford's a more polished, accurate QB, throwing the deep ball better, throwing with NFL-caliber anticipation, into tight windows, etc. He's clearly superior in almost every facet of the game and don't forget the biggest caveat: he joined the team a month ago.

Regarding the TD pace: he's on pace to throw for 22 TDs and 0 INTs in a 16 game season. He's obviously likely to throw some picks this year and who knows where the TD number will actually end up but in terms of the pace, it's modest by NFL standards but actually IS "a whole lot more than Teddy does". Bridgewater threw for 14 TDs in 17 games last season, just 10 over the 16 he didn't play at home against the Bears.

Bradford's production is higher and at a more stable clip. Which helps a lot. I feel like he and the offense are due for a big game.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:Bradford's production is higher and at a more stable clip. Which helps a lot. I feel like he and the offense are due for a big game.
Hopefully, they're building toward one. It would be great to see them break out and light it up against the next few opponents.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I have to agree with Moth and Irish; Bradford has been a serious step up from Teddy so far. He looks more poised and experienced (he is, after all).

I'm really hoping Rudy's injury is not serious, the rapport between Bradford and him has been huge.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

I don't think this merited it's own thread, and since it's an article about the Vikings/Giants game, I thought it best fit here (albeit after "game day"). I particularly like reading this in the article:
The Vikings have the best defense in the NFL

With all due respect to the Denver Broncos, the Vikings have the single best defense in the NFL. Rhodes and safety Harrison Smith pace an incredible secondary, while LB Anthony Barr, DE Everson Griffen and DT Linvall Joseph lead an elite-level front seven.

The Vikings are loaded with talent at every level of their defense. The Giants are a good offensive football team, but they simply did not stand a chance. If you were not a believer before, you certainly are now. This defensive unit is setting the standard in the NFL.
More at the link
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

It is exciting to see how well we have done through arguably the toughest part of the schedule. After Texas and the Eagles the only tough on paper games would be the Cowboys and the Packers @ Lambeau. Any given Sunday and all that but it will be fun watching this team go off in 5 games against arguably 3 of the worse teams in the league (Lions, Bears, Jags) I could see some sick stat hunts taking place to finish out the year.