Laquon Treadwell win't play until he practices better

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Laquon Treadwell win't play until he practices better

Post by Mothman »

Nunin wrote:Musgrave was the most recent and he did reasonbly well considering Ponder was his QB.
I don't think Bevell called plays here, which seems like a shame since the only time the KOA actually kicked some A is when Favre went 'off the reservation'.
He did call plays while he was coaching in MN (although not at first), including in 2009, if I remember correctly. It was a duty Childress gradually ceded to Bevell over time.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Mothman wrote: He did call plays while he was coaching in MN (although not at first), including in 2009, if I remember correctly. It was a duty Childress gradually ceded to Bevell over time.
That is news to me, thanks.
Maybe, we'll seem some ceding this season. I'm really interested in what Schurmer has to offer in terms of using the talent on offense . If Norv can get it rolling, more power to him. This team certainly has potential.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Nunin wrote: That is news to me, thanks.
You're welcome.
Maybe, we'll seem some ceding this season. I'm really interested in what Schurmer has to offer in terms of using the talent on offense . If Norv can get it rolling, more power to him. This team certainly has potential.
It does... I hope they realize it.

I wonder how much Zimmer has to do with the overall offensive strategy.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Mothman wrote:
It does... I hope they realize it.

I wonder how much Zimmer has to do with the overall offensive strategy.
That's a common thought amongst many a Viking fan, I assume.
My guess is very little. Poet posted tweet after the last game where a reporter asked Zim why he thought CJ's production was so little. Zimmer said, I have no idea'. I kinda believe him, not because he isn't capable but because it's been given to Turner as the sole focus.
I just read a short blurb @ espn(i believe) about how Zimmer enjoys watching the personalities emerging on defense once they get the system and hae confidence. It's really great having Robison, Greenway and Newman to set a work ethic tone for these young athletes. I feel that the defense is on the cusp of being player run/driven...like a lot of other great defenses. That would give Zimmer much more time to knucke down on the other side of the ball. Perhaps the main reason there hasn't been systemic change is due to the fact that they've managed to win a lot of games inspite of the offensive woee?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Nunin wrote:My guess is very little. Poet posted tweet after the last game where a reporter asked Zim why he thought CJ's production was so little. Zimmer said, I have no idea'. I kinda believe him, not because he isn't capable but because it's been given to Turner as the sole focus.
I see that as highly problematic.

Perhaps I should have used the word philosophy instead of strategy. I don't get the impression Zimmer has much to do with offensive play calling or even the day-to-day management of the offense. However, the offense has been pretty conservative on his watch, more conservative than I'm accustomed to seeing from a Turner-coached offense. That could be a consequence of personnel limitations but I also wonder if there's a "Zimmer philosophy" at work (for lack of a better term). Is there an "the offense just needs to stay out of the way and make a few plays per game, we'll win with defense" mentality at work on this team?
I just read a short blurb @ espn(i believe) about how Zimmer enjoys watching the personalities emerging on defense once they get the system and hae confidence. It's really great having Robison, Greenway and Newman to set a work ethic tone for these young athletes. I feel that the defense is on the cusp of being player run/driven...like a lot of other great defenses. That would give Zimmer much more time to knucke down on the other side of the ball. Perhaps the main reason there hasn't been systemic change is due to the fact that they've managed to win a lot of games inspite of the offensive woee?
Maybe but it's not hard to see that those offensive woes held them back last year.

I wonder if they need a change in system, a change in philosophy or just better personnel. Maybe it's all of the above...

I don't have the answers.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Definitely more questions than answers. In terms of conservative philosophy, i'm just hoping it has to do more with the ongoing ineptness of the offensive line. Hence the firing of Davidson...because 'I felt like it'. That made me feel like the conservativism was more symptomatic than philisophical. Then there are layers to it, like when certain guys might see the field being treated with more caution than perhaps what kind of plays are installed week to week.
But I agree that Turner's offenses usually look more capable, even in Cleveland.
No way way to be clear and probably multiple issues. The only thing I feel is certain is that somethings will change before the post season. Whether it's results/execution, personnel, playcalling duties, who knows? This offensive suckitude can't be sustainable...right?
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Mothman wrote: I wonder how much Zimmer has to do with the overall offensive strategy.
Mike Zimmer on Ronnie Hillman: “I don’t know anything about him other than he signed today. We played him last year. I have no idea.’’
That right there tells me he doesn't know a whole lot about the offensive side of the ball operation wise.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

halfgiz wrote: Mike Zimmer on Ronnie Hillman: “I don’t know anything about him other than he signed today. We played him last year. I have no idea.’’
That right there tells me he doesn't know a whole lot about the offensive side of the ball operation wise.
And that isn't good. Remember when Tice was here and the defense was struggling, he went away from the offense and worked with the defense a bit, and it seemed to help. I wish Zimmer would take a good look at the Offense, especially the OL and make changes if necessary.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Nunin wrote:Definitely more questions than answers. In terms of conservative philosophy, i'm just hoping it has to do more with the ongoing ineptness of the offensive line. Hence the firing of Davidson...because 'I felt like it'. That made me feel like the conservativism was more symptomatic than philisophical. Then there are layers to it, like when certain guys might see the field being treated with more caution than perhaps what kind of plays are installed week to week.
But I agree that Turner's offenses usually look more capable, even in Cleveland.
No way way to be clear and probably multiple issues. The only thing I feel is certain is that somethings will change before the post season. Whether it's results/execution, personnel, playcalling duties, who knows? This offensive suckitude can't be sustainable...right?
I certainly hope not!
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Purple Martin wrote:I just hope the guys criticizing CJ were also criticizing Wallace when he was here. Wallace never put out any extra effort to catch a ball, and CJ does put in the effort. That's probably why he's still out there. I don't know why we left Wallace out there sometimes except as a decoy that fooled nobody.
This is neither here nor there but Wallace has actually had a pretty good season thus far for the Ravens.