Laquon Treadwell win't play until he practices better

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

me4get
Hall of Fame Candidate

Laquon Treadwell win't play until he practices better

Post by me4get »

Viking fan since '65
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Laquon Treadwell win't play until he practices better

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Been a biggest disappointment as a rookie, as Waynes was, im not sure about Alexanders. CP looked like we though he would, then the coaches got a hold of him and something changed. Same with Kalil, and I could name more. But then you get a 5th round WR in Diggs that pure 100% luck.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

If he comes in and does what Tre Waynes is doing now and picking the ball (aka scoring touchdowns)
I am okay with that. I am hoping by the half way point of the season we bring in three big guys in the
red zone and throw some post routes over the shoulder or bully corners on hooks and slants.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

misleading title IMO. Almost makes it sounds like he has a poor attitude in practice.

The article left out a few positive comments Zim said during the PC.

"His attitude is great."

"He's doing good. He'll be fine"
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

808vikingsfan wrote:misleading title IMO. Almost makes it sounds like he has a poor attitude in practice.

"His attitude is great."

Totally agree.

The article was extremely brief and is speculation based on terse comments by Zim.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

808vikingsfan wrote:misleading title IMO. Almost makes it sounds like he has a poor attitude in practice.

"His attitude is great."

How is it misleading? The title says he won't play unil he practices better. Zimmer said "He has to continue to do better in practice,” Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said.

How does that misrepresent the title? He continues with specific details of what he needs to improve on

“ I still think he’s thinking about the number of steps to take on each route and things like that, being at the right depth.”

It seems perfectly in line with the title to me. Having said that, its a very sad excuse for "an article", as it barely exceeds the extremely low bar for newsworthy writing set by "tweets".
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

I refuse to read anything that has screen filling must be played ads like that. From what I saw though. Positive motivation spin on being active and comparing it to Diggs not starting until game 4 last year?

I am a big fan of sitting them until the coaches feel they are ready. I think far too often the "growing pains" argument is used to cover for rookies making basic errors that could be corrected in practice. No excuse to learn in real game play when you have tens of millions of dollars tied up in training facilities, time, and staff to get you game day ready.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote: I refuse to read anything that has screen filling must be played ads like that.

I understand but newspapers have to make money. I'd rather deal with the ad for a few seconds and have access to the content than than have to subscribe just for Vikings articles.
From what I saw though. Positive motivation spin on being active and comparing it to Diggs not starting until game 4 last year?
That's some of it. Basically, its more of the same but in an article from a local beat reporter rather than Florio's rumor site. Purple Martin commented on the quality of the PFT piece so I thought I provide a link to a genuine article ;)
I am a big fan of sitting them until the coaches feel they are ready. I think far too often the "growing pains" argument is used to cover for rookies making basic errors that could be corrected in practice. No excuse to learn in real game play when you have tens of millions of dollars tied up in training facilities, time, and staff to get you game day ready.
I think both philosophies have merit. In the end, it depends on the circumstances and it's about weighing the benefits and drawbacks. The "excuse" to learn in real game play is that players learn under fire, against genuine competition and under genuine pressure not just the simulated circumstances of practice. There's a benefit to that and while playing them might mean suffering through the drawbacks of growing pains, it also means benefitting from the skills and abilities that brought the player to the team in the first place.

Again, I think it depends on the circumstances.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

meanwhile Sterling Sheppard is tearing it up in NY.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote:

I understand but newspapers have to make money. I'd rather deal with the ad for a few seconds and have access to the content than than have to subscribe just for Vikings articles.
That's some of it. Basically, its more of the same but in an article from a local beat reporter rather than Florio's rumor site. Purple Martin commented on the quality of the PFT piece so I thought I provide a link to a genuine article ;)
I think both philosophies have merit. In the end, it depends on the circumstances and it's about weighing the benefits and drawbacks. The "excuse" to learn in real game play is that players learn under fire, against genuine competition and under genuine pressure not just the simulated circumstances of practice. There's a benefit to that and while playing them might mean suffering through the drawbacks of growing pains, it also means benefitting from the skills and abilities that brought the player to the team in the first place.

Again, I think it depends on the circumstances.

I agree game day experience is useful, and there will alway be growing pains and that's okay. Just more often then not though i think its more a player makinf a correctable mistake from lack of practice then something total unpracticable that only happens on game day. There is obviously a middle ground. Zimmer seems to error on the side of caution which is fine with me.

Ads are fine. The ones that fill up my screen, hide the X, and blast the volume though bug me
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

doesn't sound like it's a matter of attitude or effort. treadwell is 21 and still learning. i'm not sure when it became the norm for rookie wrs to start out playing, but it's been pretty common place for young wrs to take a little longer than most positions.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Nunin wrote:meanwhile Sterling Sheppard is tearing it up in NY.
Well, they kinda have to play them because they are not deep at WR like us.....

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Norv Zimmer wrote: Well, they kinda have to play them because they are not deep at WR like us.....

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Yes, they don't have the luxury of starting Charles Johnson every week. :twisted:
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

CJ getting snaps is nauseating at this point. He draws the opposing defense's weakest CB and can't get open. The stuff on "earning it" is getting old if you ask me. Maybe the next guy up hasn't done enough, but the guy getting the snaps is doing nothing on the field where it counts. I get the need for team culture and all of that, but this is getting ridiculous.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi