Stretch run plays

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Stretch run plays

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I was watching the game last night, and granted the New Orleans defense isn't good by any means the Falcons running game was tearing them up. One play in specific that seemed to be working well was the stretch run play, this play was made famous by peyton manning and edgerrin james back in the day. Do you guys think this play would work for the Vikings? I think it could with Mckinnons elusiveness and ability to slice through the LOS.
losperros
Commissioner

Re: Stretch run plays

Post by losperros »

Norv Zimmer wrote:I was watching the game last night, and granted the New Orleans defense isn't good by any means the Falcons running game was tearing them up. One play in specific that seemed to be working well was the stretch run play, this play was made famous by peyton manning and edgerrin james back in the day. Do you guys think this play would work for the Vikings? I think it could with Mckinnons elusiveness and ability to slice through the LOS.
If I'm understanding you correctly, I think it's an interesting idea but I'm not sure Norv would implement it that often. You have to take in account how much Norv loves TEs in any set, not that there's anything wrong with that. Because when one of the team's TEs is also one of the team's best receivers, then he's usually going to be on the field. OTOH, Rudolph has shown many times he can split out when needed, but Norv also employs multiple TE sets.

Maybe more importantly, there is also blocking to take into consideration. Many stretch offenses require zone blocking, including "outside" schemes to create cutbacks for the RB. The problem is the Vikings have a below average offensive line, which doesn't get off the snap quickly and can be easily out-hustled by opposing defenders. This alone might be why both Zimmer and Norv may shy away from a lot of stretch offensive sets.

Personally, I would at least like to see the Vikings go with more 3WR and 4WR sets, especially from the shotgun with McKinnon as the RB. OTOH, it would mean Bradford would have to get rid of the ball very quickly, given the state of the OL. But he's proven he can do that. I think the ultra-quick releases would be more difficult for Bridgewater.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

They ran one in the 2nd half with McKinnon and picked up 2-3 yds. It was blocked well but the Panther LBs were too quick. I think Kuechly made the play.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

The Vikings lineman can't hold a block long enough for a stretch runs. :lol:

They need to start doing quick hitters to McKinnon out of the backfield to bypass the constant push by the defense. Unless the Vikings O-line gets better really really quickly, then they need to get some of these defensive lineman on their heels more and unpin their ears. I think the threat of McKinnon receving out of the backfield can help this.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

First, I think they need to get in sync with what they are already trying to do.

Is Sparano the run game coordinator or just the line coach? I can't recall. He certainly has a history of being willing to innovate, but I find innovation in lieu of mastering the basics usually just leads to some short term production that isn't sustainable and typically fails in crunch time.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

PacificNorseWest wrote:The Vikings lineman can't hold a block long enough for a stretch runs. :lol:

They need to start doing quick hitters to McKinnon out of the backfield to bypass the constant push by the defense. Unless the Vikings O-line gets better really really quickly, then they need to get some of these defensive lineman on their heels more and unpin their ears. I think the threat of McKinnon receving out of the backfield can help this.
The quick hitters and curls to McKinnon is something I was expecting. I was disappointed not to see them. In retrospect the Panthers D was probably not the best unit to get too tricky with in the first game without AD.
I'm hopeful we see some Tomlison-like use of McKinnon monday.