Thoughts on turning Cam Newton into Fig Newton

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Thoughts on turning Cam Newton into Fig Newton

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Simply put, this is the best Viking defense I have ever seen, and I am not exaggerating. When you have a 38 year old cornerback making plays, and your front four can sack the most mobile QB in the NFL eight times, you have something special. PURPLE MUST REIGN BABY.

The OL looked good in the second half against what many say is the best defense in the NFL. Well, I have news for you folks... our defense is pretty good too.

SKOL. :govikes:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Thoughts on turning Cam Newton into Fig Newton

Post by fiestavike »

It isn't the first time Cam has turned into a fig newton. The guy has very little character and ZERO dignity. I hope he'll see the light and improve himself, but he is truly embarrassing.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
ThePiper
Transition Player

Post by ThePiper »

When is the last time we started a season 3-0?
AlldayPotter
Backup

Post by AlldayPotter »

Last time 3-0 since 2009.

This defense is as good as last year's denver broncos team. And now we have Bradford leading the way and we have a early 3-0 lead on division. Bradford will only get better. Our offense will eventually get in a groove once we get situated with the offensive line.

Boy did Clemmings and the backup for Boone do well in this game.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

ThePiper wrote:When is the last time we started a season 3-0?
ThePiper
Transition Player

Post by ThePiper »

AlldayPotter wrote:Last time 3-0 since 2009.

This defense is as good as last year's denver broncos team. And now we have Bradford leading the way and we have a early 3-0 lead on division. Bradford will only get better. Our offense will eventually get in a groove once we get situated with the offensive line.

Boy did Clemmings and the backup for Boone do well in this game.
Yes, our offensive line played well when you factor in that Carolina's defense is actually pretty decent.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote: 2009.
What about 3-0 beating the defending NFC champs on the road and making the reigning MVP look like a wad of wet toilet paper?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Seemed like the plan was to keep Cam in the pocket and not over rush. Barber made reference to the Zimmer A-gap show but they didn't utilize it as much as against other teams. Lot of outside blitzes and spying Newton (seemed like this was Robison and Barr's duty). In the end it was good up 4 front pressure with good coverage and waiting for him to make a mistake. Smith also shadowed the end, which allowed him to either blitz from that position or cover the slot. He's up in the box a lot but that was way up there for him.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

couldn't happen to a nicer deion Sanders wannabe. Zero class, zero dignity, needs a lot more humbling
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Laserman wrote:couldn't happen to a nicer deion Sanders wannabe. Zero class, zero dignity, needs a lot more humbling
Preach.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

The D sat down to dinner and had ample helping of "HAM"!!!! And some fig Newton for dessert.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

I love it... the Vikings go in and beat down the reigning MVP, and they talk about the Packers and Cardinals with very little talk about the Vikings. Keep us under the radar!!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I love it... the Vikings go in and beat down the reigning MVP, and they talk about the Packers and Cardinals with very little talk about the Vikings. Keep us under the radar!!

ESPN.com is the same way; all kinds of glowing praise for Rodgers and the Pack's "big win" over the kitties. :roll:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:
ESPN.com is the same way; all kinds of glowing praise for Rodgers and the Pack's "big win" over the kitties. :roll:

The top spot in "latest headlines" at NFL.com is:

Vikings dominate on defense to stun Newton, Panthers in upset
1. The Vikings' defense continues to shake up the top of the NFC power teams. One week after serving up Aaron Rodgers' worst game in years, Minnesota absolutely destroyed Cam Newton and the Panthers' offense in the second half.

Trailing 10-0 late in the first quarter, Vikings defensive end Danielle Hunter threw Michael Oher to the turf before tossing Newton down for a safety. The play started a pass-rushing deluge for Minnesota, the team finishing with eight sacks and 12 QB hits.

2. After a fast start by Newton, the Panthers had no answers for Minnesota's depth and creativity up front. Everson Griffen led the way with three sacks and three tackles for loss, but Anthony Barr, Harrison Smith and especially coach Mike Zimmer's varied looks deserve credit for continually scrambling Carolina's offensive circuitry. This was the most impressive effort we've seen by any defense all season. Newton came into the game as the best QB in football and wound up getting picked off three times.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:
The top spot in "latest headlines" at NFL.com is:

Vikings dominate on defense to stun Newton, Panthers in upset

Nice write up.

I don't know why I even visit ESPN's site. It's just trash. It's kind of like eating at McD's when on a road trip. I always wonder why I just did that... and the reason is, it's just so darn omnipresent!