Thoughts on turning Cam Newton into Fig Newton

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Thoughts on turning Cam Newton into Fig Newton

Post by IrishViking »

Nunin wrote: Totally fun to beat Cam ;)
First, nunin should mean Irony.

Second, I think part of the frustration for fans is that Cam has been on the receiving end of several teachable moments and it hasn't helped. The dude is just a boob, regardless of generation.

He continued his td celebration on the sidelines for godsakes haha.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

nunin=irony....that's perfect ;) thanks!

as per Cam and teachable moments: sometimes it's more about what the clown/fool archetype can teach us about ourselves.
somewhat like the raven/trickster in a lot of native american mythology...if memory serves me.lol always prideful and boastful...maybe self-absorbed, but in the end the trick is usually on him, and it's up to others to learn and discern from his antics.
Fig Newton, the sacred clown of the NFL
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Nunin wrote:nunin=irony....that's perfect ;) thanks!

as per Cam and teachable moments: sometimes it's more about what the clown/fool archetype can teach us about ourselves.
somewhat like the raven/trickster in a lot of native american mythology...if memory serves me.lol always prideful and boastful...maybe self-absorbed, but in the end the trick is usually on him, and it's up to others to learn and discern from his antics.
Fig Newton, the sacred clown of the NFL

Fig Newton

he clowned for your sins.

:rofl:
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

lol....that's funny
-
he is the gift of unintentional comedy that keeps on giving

now every time i see him dancing on the sideline I will remember he is clowning for my sins....lol
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Nunin wrote:lol....that's funny
-
he is the gift of unintentional comedy that keeps on giving

now every time i see him dancing on the sideline I will remember he is clowning for my sins....lol

Its actually really dark when you think about it; He is stuck in a sisypheaneque hell of being the butt of a joke he doesn't know about. Every success he thinks he achieves just makes the inevitable schadenfreude hammer strike harder.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

IrishViking wrote:
Its actually really dark when you think about it; He is stuck in a sisypheaneque hell of being the butt of a joke he doesn't know about. Every success he thinks he achieves just makes the inevitable schadenfreude hammer strike harder.
You just described the entire pop culture IMO, and the depth and breadth of the comic tragedy. But.... 'the light shineth on the darkness and the darknes knoweth it not'...or so it's been written.
The is a punk band named: 'Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies' that I think about a lot lately.
It seems satire is a go to lifejacket in what appears to be an ocean of irony.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

IrishViking wrote:
That's wonderful. :lol:

He is a combo of Sisyphus and Tantalus, IMO, the fruit and water (Super Bowl) always just out of reach.

Nunin, I love that band's name!
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

Cam has definitely shown immaturity in many instances and one example this year that showed me he hadn't learned from his previous mistakes (the Super Bowl interview) was when Denver's defense made a stop and one of the secondary members was waving for the crowd to get into it. After the play Cam intentionally hits him with a shoulder. I think Cam's dancing is fine (well at least from a theoretical perspective;) ) since plenty of other players dance too, but the problem is he seems to think its ok to dance when he scores or makes a big play but doesn't appreciate it when someone else does it. If you are going to make sure the spotlight is on you and bask in it during your success you are going to have to deal with it when its not positive. Or at the very least you can't get upset when the other team celebrates after a big play. I guess to put it simply, if you are going to dish it out you need to be able to take it too.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

MikethePurple wrote:Cam has definitely shown immaturity in many instances and one example this year that showed me he hadn't learned from his previous mistakes (the Super Bowl interview) was when Denver's defense made a stop and one of the secondary members was waving for the crowd to get into it. After the play Cam intentionally hits him with a shoulder. I think Cam's dancing is fine (well at least from a theoretical perspective;) ) since plenty of other players dance too, but the problem is he seems to think its ok to dance when he scores or makes a big play but doesn't appreciate it when someone else does it. If you are going to make sure the spotlight is on you and bask in it during your success you are going to have to deal with it when its not positive. Or at the very least you can't get upset when the other team celebrates after a big play. I guess to put it simply, if you are going to dish it out you need to be able to take it too.
I mean, just your classic kid. Poor Winner, Sore Loser. The guy can play and play well and people will put up with a lot when you are 15-1. If you pull a couple of 7-9 season out of your hat though and act like Superman when you win 44% of your games though. He might run out of fans really really fast.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

IrishViking wrote: I mean, just your classic kid. Poor Winner, Sore Loser. The guy can play and play well and people will put up with a lot when you are 15-1. If you pull a couple of 7-9 season out of your hat though and act like Superman when you win 44% of your games though. He might run out of fans really really fast.
I'm not sure if its just being a kid as I don't totally buy into the generational thing. There are plenty of players of the same age who don't act the way he does. I do think he is a poor winner and sore loser though. There are plenty of guys like that in my hockey league who are 50+, grumbling in the hand shake line or pouting (and this is beer league hockey!), I just think its a personality thing sometimes.

Don't get me wrong I like the celebrations in general as there is a lot of emotion and adrenaline in the game and players are pretty pumped and excited when they make a good play. And it makes it more fun when you get to see that competitive side! But there is a difference like you said of being a poor winner and sore loser and just being emotional and excited.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

MikethePurple wrote: I'm not sure if its just being a kid as I don't totally buy into the generational thing. There are plenty of players of the same age who don't act the way he does. I do think he is a poor winner and sore loser though. There are plenty of guys like that in my hockey league who are 50+, grumbling in the hand shake line or pouting (and this is beer league hockey!), I just think its a personality thing sometimes.

Don't get me wrong I like the celebrations in general as there is a lot of emotion and adrenaline in the game and players are pretty pumped and excited when they make a good play. And it makes it more fun when you get to see that competitive side! But there is a difference like you said of being a poor winner and sore loser and just being emotional and excited.
For the most part, I agree. There are plenty of jerks of all ages.

As far as brain development goes, though, the frontal lobes--the area where judgment and decision making takes place--don't fully develop until 25. Young people make some terrible decisions that are absolutely baffling from the perspective of a more mature adult.
SP1966
Franchise Player

Post by SP1966 »

What would be the opposite of a QB Whisperer? Zimm is clearly one of the premier defensive minds in terms of getting great QBs off their game, he needs a name damnit!!
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

I think this is the proper place to post this...

I had a thought. don't worry, i am ok.

Each week so far our defense has started off a bit "flat" our opponents have come out right away and scored on us with ease and then we "make adjustments" and simply dominate them the rest of the game. I kind of wonder if there is some kind of tactic here to lull offenses into being over confident and then when we get after them it catches them off guard and they are left wondering what hit them. "what happened? we were doing so good..."

probably nothing, just something i have noticed.
Formerly AADPFan
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Grashopa wrote:I think this is the proper place to post this...

I had a thought. don't worry, i am ok.

Each week so far our defense has started off a bit "flat" our opponents have come out right away and scored on us with ease and then we "make adjustments" and simply dominate them the rest of the game. I kind of wonder if there is some kind of tactic here to lull offenses into being over confident and then when we get after them it catches them off guard and they are left wondering what hit them. "what happened? we were doing so good..."

probably nothing, just something i have noticed.

I am sure Zimmer calls some fairly vanilla "Standard" stuff for him to start the game off, if you can make it work with that why show off your tricks. Its more a matter of Zimmer wanting to only use what he has too IMO.

I have no doubt that if he wanted Zimmer could blow his play wad and probably start the game with 4-5 sacks in a row.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Good stuff:

Vikings Journal: Defensive Dominance: A Film Breakdown Of The Vikings Eight Sacks Against Cam Newton

And just for fun, Barr doing the Superman!