Thoughts on turning Cam Newton into Fig Newton

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Thoughts on turning Cam Newton into Fig Newton

Post by S197 »

Nunin wrote: Ohh...I think the team is legit and has arrived in many ways. Is it capable of beating the Seahawks in December though? I think the answer to that question falls on the offense. They (SEA) tore up the league on offense the 2nd half of the season and Zimmer's D held them to 10pts. I think Seattle's D is every bit as good as the Vikes. Maybe (likely) even better at generating a pass rush without a blitz.
Is Bradford the difference? I dunno, but Walsh is still the kicker.
Long way to go and injuries can change everything fast. I hope we get to see a rematch, and I pray to the football gods that we don't get caught in a pattern of needing Blair Walsh to win games for us, cause that would really be hard to watch IMO.
Definitely something special brewing here though.
It's always good to peak at the right time, when the Giants won the Super Bowl being the best example off the top of my head. So as much as there isn't a reason to panic when you start off slow there isn't a reason to lose humility when you rip it out the gates. However, if you look at the trend over the last two seasons there's a lot to like. The team is winning on the road, beating quality opponents, and finishing games strong.

I think it shows a level of maturity and growth compared to the beginning of last year when they were blown out in SF.

There's a lot of football to be played but this is the most fun I've had to start a season in a long long time!
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

I agree 100% ^^

That Giants defense went nutz in the playoffs.

This is the most promising start to a season since 98 IMO....although 09 was pretty cool, they didn't really dominate on either side of the ball. 98 was offense, now it's the D
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Purple Martin wrote:Wow, overreact much? All I did was point out that what the media says about us in September is less than meaningless. I'm quite happy with our success, our new QB, our head coach, our defense...didn't beatdown anyone
And you're stepping on Vikings fans who are amped about the defensive performance.

Sorry, but 8 sacks and 3 picks is a beatdown.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: And you're stepping on Vikings fans who are amped about the defensive performance.

Sorry, but 8 sacks and 3 picks is a beatdown.
Sorry, I misread your "beatdown" comment. My bad. We did give the pussycats a beatdown, indeed.

But I'm also sorry that I will be cynical of any talk of super bowls and super bowl caliber defenses at this stage of the season. That doesn't mean I'm critical of the team, I'm quite happy with it with one or two exceptions, all of them on offense.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Purple Martin wrote: Sorry, I misread your "beatdown" comment. My bad. We did give the pussycats a beatdown, indeed.

But I'm also sorry that I will be cynical of any talk of super bowls and super bowl caliber defenses at this stage of the season. That doesn't mean I'm critical of the team, I'm quite happy with it with one or two exceptions, all of them on offense.
Works for me. I'm just really excited about this team. I think of the Broncos last year. They had below replacement level QB play but rode a generational defense to a title. I don't know if we're generational, but I do know that by the eye test, this is the best overall defense I've seen since probably 1971. Obviously they have to keep it up, but when you're pressuring and sacking the QB at the rate we are, it bodes well. The fact that we've done it against two very good teams is also a plus. Is forcing a turnover every 4 possessions sustainable? Probably not. But with our defensive depth, speed, talent and scheme, the QB pressure is likely to continue, and that should keep us in games. It's up to the offense to turn that into points and wins. That is, indeed, a big question mark for us.

No disrespect intended, but I also think it's a bit of an easy answer to simply say, "Check with me in February." I don't see what's wrong with analysis and informed speculation. Isn't it sort of the point of the board?

Anyway, all good. I think we both see the other's original intent for our comments. Thanks.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:They had below replacement level QB play but rode a generational defense to a title. I don't know if we're generational, but I do know that by the eye test, this is the best overall defense I've seen since probably 1971..
Hey, that 88 defense was no slouch lol, reason I started following this team in a nutshell
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Hey, that 88 defense was no slouch lol, reason I started following this team in a nutshell
Yeah that was the defense that brought me over.. John Randle and company..

I think the Panthers have a real good defense and a few things on offense that create big problems.

Cam is a freak at 6-5 what 260 ? runs like a deer .. can throw if you give him a clean pocket.

I love Olsen and they have some weapons at wide out.. pretty good OL.. do I think they are a Great team
nope...

Two of those picks Cam threw were very dumb.. He has been in the NFL long enough to know to throw the ball
out of bounds. There division isn't great though. They win 10-11 games or so and the division.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

jackal wrote: Yeah that was the defense that brought me over.. John Randle and company..

I think the Panthers have a real good defense and a few things on offense that create big problems.

Cam is a freak at 6-5 what 260 ? runs like a deer .. can throw if you give him a clean pocket.

I love Olsen and they have some weapons at wide out.. pretty good OL.. do I think they are a Great team
nope...

Two of those picks Cam threw were very dumb.. He has been in the NFL long enough to know to throw the ball
out of bounds. There division isn't great though. They win 10-11 games or so and the division.
That late 80s team was Doleman, Millard, Henry Thomas. Randle didn't arrive here until 1990.
This space available for rent.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleHalo wrote:That late 80s team was Doleman, Millard, Henry Thomas. Randle didn't arrive here until 1990.
No love for Al Noga? ;)
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Mothman wrote: No love for Al Noga? ;)

Thank You! I was just about to reply. That was a fun team to watch.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

akvikingsfan wrote:I'm asssuming this is the equivalent to what would be the "Week 3 Thoughts" thread. So here's my thoughts:

The Good
- This years Vikings have the best defense I have seen in a while (and I'm going across all teams). Pretty sure they have the top ranked D as of right now.
- 8 sacks on Newton (man I hate that guy, loved seeing him in the dirt)
- Offense still has 0 turnovers on the season
- 3-0 for the first time since '09. Hopefully this season ends better.
- Beating the Panthers helps for playoff seeding (I know, it's early but I can still think ahead)

The Bad
- I can't stand the way Turner calls plays. I think he is a terrible OC. Hopefully there will be a new one next year?
- I feel like there have been a lot of penalties called on the Vikings this year. Need to tighten that up.
- Offensive line is still struggling, but they looked better than last week.
- No Vikings football until Monday. I hate having games that aren't noon kickoffs.

The Ugly
- The first half of the game.
- Walsh. When will he be gone?
- Cam Newton.
- Still no sighting of Treadwell.

Side Note: What happened to Jordy? I haven't seen him post this past week.
Walsh has made 8 field goals in a row.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Walsh has made 8 field goals in a row.
He's 7 for 9 on the season. Not sure that's possible.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Demi wrote: He's 7 for 9 on the season. Not sure that's possible.
And still misses extra points. League average on XP last year was 94.2. Walsh was 33 of 37 for 89.2(28th in the league) and he's already missed 2 this year and is 3 of 5. Walsh is the ONLY player to have missed 2 XP's this year so far.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Crax wrote: And still misses extra points. League average on XP last year was 94.2. Walsh was 33 of 37 for 89.2(28th in the league) and he's already missed 2 this year and is 3 of 5. Walsh is the ONLY player to have missed 2 XP's this year so far.
Good thing with this offense he doesn't have to kick too many of those, eh?

:wallbang:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Boon wrote: Hey, that 88 defense was no slouch lol, reason I started following this team in a nutshell
I missed the '80s. In the US Navy riding submarines. We didn't get a lot of games on TV. :lol:
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.