Thoughts on turning Cam Newton into Fig Newton

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

MikethePurple
Veteran

Re: Thoughts on turning Cam Newton into Fig Newton

Post by MikethePurple »

For the most part, I agree. There are plenty of jerks of all ages.

As far as brain development goes, though, the frontal lobes--the area where judgment and decision making takes place--don't fully develop until 25. Young people make some terrible decisions that are absolutely baffling from the perspective of a more mature adult.[/quote]

Definitely true there are growing pains to getting older and making mistakes. I guess I always try to throw a little water on "the kids these days" types of generalizations.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

I'm asssuming this is the equivalent to what would be the "Week 3 Thoughts" thread. So here's my thoughts:

The Good
- This years Vikings have the best defense I have seen in a while (and I'm going across all teams). Pretty sure they have the top ranked D as of right now.
- 8 sacks on Newton (man I hate that guy, loved seeing him in the dirt)
- Offense still has 0 turnovers on the season
- 3-0 for the first time since '09. Hopefully this season ends better.
- Beating the Panthers helps for playoff seeding (I know, it's early but I can still think ahead)

The Bad
- I can't stand the way Turner calls plays. I think he is a terrible OC. Hopefully there will be a new one next year?
- I feel like there have been a lot of penalties called on the Vikings this year. Need to tighten that up.
- Offensive line is still struggling, but they looked better than last week.
- No Vikings football until Monday. I hate having games that aren't noon kickoffs.

The Ugly
- The first half of the game.
- Walsh. When will he be gone?
- Cam Newton.
- Still no sighting of Treadwell.

Side Note: What happened to Jordy? I haven't seen him post this past week.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Grashopa wrote:I think this is the proper place to post this...

I had a thought. don't worry, i am ok.

Each week so far our defense has started off a bit "flat" our opponents have come out right away and scored on us with ease and then we "make adjustments" and simply dominate them the rest of the game. I kind of wonder if there is some kind of tactic here to lull offenses into being over confident and then when we get after them it catches them off guard and they are left wondering what hit them. "what happened? we were doing so good..."

probably nothing, just something i have noticed.
I'm guessing it's more a question of seeing what the opponent is doing and then taking it away rather than a tactic to lull them into a false sense of confidence. Players start adjusting to the opponents they're matched up against. Coaches see what the other team is actually doing as opposed to what they thought they'd do based on film work, game-planning, etc. Adjustments get made from there.

I recall the same thing happening with Leslie Frazier's better Vikings defenses. They'd give up a score or two early and then tighten up.

His less effective defenses just kept allowing more scores. :)
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Greenway talked about the opening of games and said that typically offenses will come out with 15-20 scripted plays based on what they’ve seen on film. The defense has to adjust to this on the fly, Greenway described it as “surviving” until they get it locked down. This certainly jives with what we saw. After they scored 10 points they were demolished for the rest of the game. The defense answered and Carolina had nothing to fire back.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

IrishViking wrote:
I am sure Zimmer calls some fairly vanilla "Standard" stuff for him to start the game off, if you can make it work with that why show off your tricks. Its more a matter of Zimmer wanting to only use what he has too IMO.

I have no doubt that if he wanted Zimmer could blow his play wad and probably start the game with 4-5 sacks in a row.
I agree with this, but I also think part of it is to see the opponents gameplan. I believe Zimmer is crazy like a fox.
This space available for rent.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Mothman wrote: I'm guessing it's more a question of seeing what the opponent is doing and then taking it away rather than a tactic to lull them into a false sense of confidence. Players start adjusting to the opponents they're matched up against. Coaches see what the other team is actually doing as opposed to what they thought they'd do based on film work, game-planning, etc. Adjustments get made from there.

I recall the same thing happening with Leslie Frazier's better Vikings defenses. They'd give up a score or two early and then tighten up.

His less effective defenses just kept allowing more scores. :)
To be fair, Frazier never had this many good pieces to play with. The defensive line was solid, but the secondary was sub par.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

PurpleHalo wrote: To be fair, Frazier never had this many good pieces to play with. The defensive line was solid, but the secondary was sub par.
Sub Par is being generous. To this day no one that was in that secondary has caught a cold.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

IrishViking wrote:To be fair, we have some smart fans here. I don't think anyone here really believed the Packers were Superbowl contenders, not with how hot and cold Rodgers has been and not with their Best defense of all time riddled with no injuries and not being able to stop the Lions. And the same goes for the Panthers. They really seemed to have the look and action of a decent team that just got the breaks last year. They are solidly a 10-6 type unit that just had it all work for them.

If we had beaten the the Brady Patriots in Foxboro, now THAT would be something to freak out about.

As it stands right now. I am pleased but I feel like our schedule could have read

Titans, Titans 2.5, Titans 3.5.

IMO

:govikes:
Carolina had a chance to beat Denver in the final seconds. Denver is very good, potentially a Super Bowl contender again. I'm pretty sure GB will make playoffs. Those are two very strong wins. I don't think 15-1 is ever by luck.
Last edited by PurpleHalo on Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

PurpleHalo wrote: Carolina had a chance to beat Denver in the final seconds. Denver is very good, potentially a Super Bowl contender again. I'm pretty sure GB will make playoffs. Those are two very strong wins.
Meh, we did the same to Denver last year. What I am saying is I get on paper these were two quality wins. And I understand that our defense is very good. To me though it looked like 80% our Defense and 20% these team are not serious Superbowl contenders.

Just me though.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The Panthers are not a SB contender?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleHalo wrote:To be fair, Frazier never had this many good pieces to play with. The defensive line was solid, but the secondary was sub par.
I couldn't agree more. The joke was pre-emptive in nature, I figured if I didn't make it, Frazier would get slammed within 5-10 minutes. :)

Zimmer is doing a great job with the defense but he has excellent defensive personnel.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:The Panthers are not a SB contender?
They're certainly a presumed Super Bowl contender because they won the conference a year ago but whether they end up actually being a contender this year remains to be seen. i think they're 1-2 right now but their 2 losses came to Denver and Minnesota, hardly a couple of patsies.

SB contenders or not, I consider the Vikes wins over GB and Carolina quality victories over what are likely to be winning teams.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

I certainly believe those were 2 quality victories. I had doubts about beating GB just because they struggled vs the Titans, but I felt they matched up well with the Panthers and the outcome didn't suprise me....as much as the path to it did.
-
I think any team that makes the playoffs has to be considered a superbowl contender.
I still think Seattle is the cream of the NFC and is a real monkey on the Vikes back. If the defense stays on course, I think they take Arizona and anybody in the east.
GB and Seattle will be the big challenge in December should everything keep rolling as is.
The Panthers look like they could go either way. It's a long season.
Then there are 2-3 monsters in the AFC too.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Nunin wrote:I certainly believe those were 2 quality victories. I had doubts about beating GB just because they struggled vs the Titans, but I felt they matched up well with the Panthers and the outcome didn't suprise me....as much as the path to it did.
-
I think any team that makes the playoffs has to be considered a superbowl contender.
I still think Seattle is the cream of the NFC and is a real monkey on the Vikes back. If the defense stays on course, I think they take Arizona and anybody in the east.
GB and Seattle will be the big challenge in December should everything keep rolling as is.
The Panthers look like they could go either way. It's a long season.
Then there are 2-3 monsters in the AFC too.
If this team keeps playing this way, it should be the whole NFC that's scared. The only thing that this team should be concerned with is all these injuries.

I don't mean to get Patriot cocky, but something special might be being birthed here.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

PurpleHalo wrote: If this team keeps playing this way, it should be the whole NFC that's scared. The only thing that this team should be concerned with is all these injuries.

I don't mean to get Patriot cocky, but something special might be being birthed here.
Ohh...I think the team is legit and has arrived in many ways. Is it capable of beating the Seahawks in December though? I think the answer to that question falls on the offense. They (SEA) tore up the league on offense the 2nd half of the season and Zimmer's D held them to 10pts. I think Seattle's D is every bit as good as the Vikes. Maybe (likely) even better at generating a pass rush without a blitz.
Is Bradford the difference? I dunno, but Walsh is still the kicker.
Long way to go and injuries can change everything fast. I hope we get to see a rematch, and I pray to the football gods that we don't get caught in a pattern of needing Blair Walsh to win games for us, cause that would really be hard to watch IMO.
Definitely something special brewing here though.