Upcoming game: Vikings @Panthers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Upcoming game: Vikings @Panthers

Post by Mothman »

Enough with the depressing news this week. Let's talk about this week's matchup!

Here's some info to kickstart the discussion:
PANTHERS pounded Niners 46-27 in home debut in Week 2, amassing a whopping 529 yards, including a 176-65 edge on ground despite losing RB Jonathan Stewart with a hamstring injury.

With Stewart expected to miss at least the next couple of games, PANTHERS will opt for RB-by-committee featuring Fozzy Whitaker (16-100 in Week 2), Cameron Artis-Payne and FB Mike Tolbert.

PANTHERS have run up 29 consecutive regular-season games with at least 100 yards rushing.

PANTHERS QB Cam Newton has the most TD passes in team history with 122 after throwing 4 TDs in Week 2, including a pair to WR Kelvin Benjamin (7-108-2), who has 3 TDs for season.

PANTHERS TE Greg Olsen (5-122-1 receiving in Week 2) has 6 TD catches in last 8 home games.

PANTHERS beat Niners in Week 2 despite making 4 turnovers.
The Vikes will have their run defense tested this week but that last tidbit is encouraging. If the Panthers keep turning it over, that will help the Vikes chances quite a bit.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Upcoming game: Vikings @Panthers

Post by IrishViking »

It will be interesting. Their offense is miles ahead of anything we have faced and our defense is dramatically better than anything they faced.

One thing is certain, whichever one comes out on top, that team can be sure that side of the ball is ready for the playoffs.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

The only thing that scares me about their running game is Cam Newton. CAP Whitaker and other backs dont scare me at all. What does scare me is their giant wrs and tight end.

I think Cam is gonna get his butt kicked though.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

I hope that Barr and/or Kendricks is spying on Cam the whole game. He can wreck you with his running.
It'd be a pleasant suprise to me if we scored 20 on offense. But I'm putting my faith on the defense and Walsh to win an ugly one while praying that Shaun Hill never puts his helmet on.
Turnovers and special teams, gota win those to have a chance IMO
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

A big point that hasn't Been mentioned yet. Locke.

He had arguably the best game of his career on Sunday and I hope he can come close to matching it. I don't think a single Packers drive started outside of the 15 from his punts.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:It will be interesting. Their offense is miles ahead of anything we have faced and our defense is dramatically better than anything they faced.
Did you forget they opened on the road against the Broncos?
One thing is certain, whichever one comes out on top, that team can be sure that side of the ball is ready for the playoffs.
Yes, that's definitely a playoff-caliber matchup.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote: Did you forget they opened on the road against the Broncos?
Yes, that's definitely a playoff-caliber matchup.

I have no idea why but I thought they opened against the Bills lol
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

IrishViking wrote:A big point that hasn't Been mentioned yet. Locke.

He had arguably the best game of his career on Sunday and I hope he can come close to matching it. I don't think a single Packers drive started outside of the 15 from his punts.
Good point. Field position will mean a lot in this game.

I'm hoping the Vikings won't have to punt all that much. But given the present OL, running and passing could be difficult for their offense.
ncpantherfan
Waterboy

Re: Upcoming gaall ame: Vikings @Panthers

Post by ncpantherfan »

How y'all doing? I'm Ron from NC, and I've been a Panther fan from the get go. Really looking forward to this game. I was pretty sure we were going to beat the 49ers, but this a true test here.
Mentioning spying, I haven't heard that word, since we used to get our butts beat by Atlanta, when they had Vick. We had players designated as spys, and some times it worked. Cam is a smart runner but that's not all he can do. Good luck Sun.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Upcoming gaall ame: Vikings @Panthers

Post by Nunin »

ncpantherfan wrote:How y'all doing? I'm Ron from NC, and I've been a Panther fan from the get go. Really looking forward to this game. I was pretty sure we were going to beat the 49ers, but this a true test here.
Mentioning spying, I haven't heard that word, since we used to get our butts beat by Atlanta, when they had Vick. We had players designated as spys, and some times it worked. Cam is a smart runner but that's not all he can do. Good luck Sun.
Cam is a great QB. I doan want to see him converting 3rd and longs with his legs if at all possible. Rodgers did it a few times last week, once for a TD. Gonna be a great game i expect
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Cam has struggled throwing the ball early this season. His completion percentage is near the bottom. I know it's early...I know, but previous to last season, he had a tendency to be consistently errant with his passes. I'm hoping now isn't the time he gets hot, but if the Vikings can pressure Cam the way Denver did, then it should be a long game for their offense. I trust that Zimmer will spy Cam with Kendricks as he did at times to Rodgers last Sunday.

My biggest concern is Carolina's defensive front manhandling the Vikings O-line. I'm hoping the change of pace that McKinnon/Asiata provide can keep Carolina honest, but if they're allowed to tee off on Bradford while only rushing the minimum...well, it could get ugly.
ncpantherfan
Waterboy

Post by ncpantherfan »

Some advice that most teams don't take, don't go to sleep on Olsen.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

I'm more worried about the offensive line. AND I DO MEAN OFFENSIVE!
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

You know what makes me sad? Watching tonight's game and seeing how #### dominant new England's line is, and the gaping running holes they create. It's insane how in sync they look. They completely shut down Houston's front 7, including the demi god watt.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Yeah our OL continues to frustrate
me. I mean I think the majority of
Vikings fans have been on Kalil's
Case for a long time. I know they
Our GM preachs BPA year in and
year out but when you have major
bleed arterial issue like our OL. Fix
it or death.