Get ready for this formation all year.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Get ready for this formation all year.

Post by IrishViking »

3 wide,

TE lined up next to Clemmings

Asista in at RB

Bradford Shotgun.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Get ready for this formation all year.

Post by Nunin »

It's possible. I feel that not having AD in the game drastically changes the way defenses will line up, which will shift things on our O-line.
I envision lots of swing passes to McKinnon and mini screens. Moving from an offense that tries to pound a defense down to one that uses speed, misdirection and quick passing to put them back on their heels and ease the burden for our o-line. Hopefully that can lead to some legit shots downfield.
Gonna be interesting. Brutal test this weekend.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Carolina's weak spot on defense is their secondary, so I would expect quick hitting passes that exploit that weakness while not exposing Bradford to their elite pass rush.

Screen passes will likely be in the mix.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mansquatch wrote:Carolina's weak spot on defense is their secondary, so I would expect quick hitting passes that exploit that weakness while not exposing Bradford to their elite pass rush.

Screen passes will likely be in the mix.
I'm hoping you're right. But I'm hoping a lot of things regarding this team.

For example, I hope the leaky offensive line doesn't get Sam Bradford hurt.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

I also feel the screen pass should be key, but I'm under the impression that those plays require some decent cohesion along the line. Conflict lol.

Maybe more swing passes and miss_direction tosses. But their LBs are fast and savvy.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Screens are the way to keep an aggressive rush honest, however CAR also sports probably the best tandem of ILB in the league, so they are not a wash.

Look to Rudolph to challenge the ILB a bit in coverage if we are to be successful. This might be a game where we do more pounding with Asiata vs. speedy stuff with McKinnon.

I'm not expecting a high scoring game. They need to take it easy with Bradford if the OL is not up to snuff.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Another possibility is Norv goes conservative with mostly 2 TE sets to help with blocking.

If the Vikings go with any spread sets, Bradford will have to get rid of the ball in a big hurry.

I have little to no faith in the Vikings offensive line blocking well on any play at this point.
purpletinted66
Starter

Post by purpletinted66 »

^yea but didn't the OL get modest props for protecting Hill in week 1? what if the packs' DL was just really awesome? zimmer said they are improved at the beginning of the season. idrk, myself - i listened to 1sttake earlier and they pointed out how statistically woeful they are. ETA - maybe we should sing them a song about how bad we need them :)
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Maybe with Peterson out for the year, the coaches determined that their blocking schemes would change and Clemmings will be better able to handle the LT position.
Because it seems strange Peterson and then Kalil going for surgery the same week.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

halfgiz wrote:Maybe with Peterson out for the year, the coaches determined that their blocking schemes would change and Clemmings will be better able to handle the LT position.
Because it seems strange Peterson and then Kalil going for surgery the same week.

I doubt the coaches gave Kalil the "okay" to have a season ending injury. But I agree, I think they are adjusting their game plan and it could yield good results.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

The 2 elephants in the room are gone, so now we actually get to see what Turner is capable of.
Kalil had to play to justify his salary and AD also.
I believe he was the OC and had LT in SD. Maybe McKinnon will be used similarly.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IIsweet wrote:The 2 elephants in the room are gone, so now we actually get to see what Turner is capable of.
Kalil had to play to justify his salary and AD also.
I believe he was the OC and had LT in SD. Maybe McKinnon will be used similarly.

It's like 2014 never happened.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

IIsweet wrote:The 2 elephants in the room are gone, so now we actually get to see what Turner is capable of.
I sure hope it's more than what we've seen from Turner so far.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Mothman wrote:
It's like 2014 never happened.
Didn't we beat Carolina by 18 in 2014? Sure hope we play like it is 2014 at least for this week!