Alex Boone

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Alex Boone

Post by yezzir »

Anybody have any theories on his poor play? He looks to be getting physically manhandled. That's a little worrying as that can't be coached up.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Alex Boone

Post by IrishViking »

Poor outting to be sure but give credit to the packers D. Their front is legit
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Iupati had issues last year when he joined the Cardinals. It took him about half the season to get comfortable with this new teammates.

Our OL has basically three new starters. Fusco switched sides, and Boone/Smith are both new to the team. It will take time for them to achieve the clich'ed "gel". That being said, there were some real issues with guys just flat out beat.

Definitely our biggest weak point at this stage in the season.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Just as troubling are the stupid things he said about the fans and stadium noise shortly after getting a huge win over our rival in our new digs. He likes to say controversial things to get a laugh, but he needed to show a little more tact on the matter IMO. I also think he was passing the buck a bit for the number of penalties the OL got. They played horribly and then he wants to blame it on fans? Lame.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Texas Vike wrote:Just as troubling are the stupid things he said about the fans and stadium noise shortly after getting a huge win over our rival in our new digs. He likes to say controversial things to get a laugh, but he needed to show a little more tact on the matter IMO. I also think he was passing the buck a bit for the number of penalties the OL got. They played horribly and then he wants to blame it on fans? Lame.

Thats a pretty harsh reaction. Fans do need to stfu when the offense is playing. it's not controversial and its an actual thing that impacts play ie the "12th" man. He wasnt the only one to complain just no one else said to be quiet.
Last edited by IrishViking on Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SP1966
Franchise Player

Post by SP1966 »

Interestingly PFF gave him one of the better grades on offense with only Diggs and Bradford scoring higher.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

SP1966 wrote:Interestingly PFF gave him one of the better grades on offense with only Diggs and Bradford scoring higher.
I thought he was one of our better linemen yesterday, not that that says much.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Texas Vike wrote:Just as troubling are the stupid things he said about the fans and stadium noise shortly after getting a huge win over our rival in our new digs. He likes to say controversial things to get a laugh, but he needed to show a little more tact on the matter IMO. I also think he was passing the buck a bit for the number of penalties the OL got. They played horribly and then he wants to blame it on fans? Lame.
I could not disagree with you more.

It's a well known fact that fans making noise while the offense is on the field is not the preferred option, and quite frankly, I don't know how you can be upset with a player for stating the very obvious.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

At least he helps up Bradford after getting beat. Kalil just shrugs and points his figure at someone else.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

DK Sweets wrote:I could not disagree with you more.

It's a well known fact that fans making noise while the offense is on the field is not the preferred option, and quite frankly, I don't know how you can be upset with a player for stating the very obvious.

The message might be accurate (debatable, IMO), but what bothers me most is the context in which he chose to deliver it. The when and where. We had just defeated our rival in our brand new stadium and instead of praising the support of the fans he chose to criticize them. I wasn't at the game (those of you who were, please speak up) but from reports I've read Boone's complaints were not even necessarily accurate. I also don't think a new member of any team should tell cheering fans to shut the F up. He could make his point without coming off as he did: someone avoiding the blame for lots of penalties and a poor performance.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Texas Vike wrote:
The message might be accurate (debatable, IMO), but what bothers me most is the context in which he chose to deliver it. The when and where. We had just defeated our rival in our brand new stadium and instead of praising the support of the fans he chose to criticize them. I wasn't at the game (those of you who were, please speak up) but from reports I've read Boone's complaints were not even necessarily accurate. I also don't think a new member of any team should tell cheering fans to shut the F up. He could make his point without coming off as he did: someone avoiding the blame for lots of penalties and a poor performance.
I wasn't there but I did have a couple of hardcore friends there. They were actually posting during the game how the Vikings fans needed to shut up during our offensive series. They only mentioned it a couple of times though.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

IrishViking wrote: I wasn't there but I did have a couple of hardcore friends there. They were actually posting during the game how the Vikings fans needed to shut up during our offensive series. They only mentioned it a couple of times though.
I'm sure it was loud, but I am left to wonder: 1) how much was due to GB fans and 2) why didn't GB's OL have the troubles that our OL did with false starts? I suspect that Boone is kicking the dog because he's frustrated about his unit's poor performance. It's Freudian displacement.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Texas Vike wrote: I'm sure it was loud, but I am left to wonder: 1) how much was due to GB fans and 2) why didn't GB's OL have the troubles that our OL did with false starts? I suspect that Boone is kicking the dog because he's frustrated about his unit's poor performance. It's Freudian displacement.

The False starts where rough but the broadcast I watched talked a lot about all the visual ques that GB was showing that they were using a silent count and game planned for the noise

It could just be that the Vikings didn't prep this week for crowd noise issues since it was a home game and it cost them.

Plus, first game ever with Bradford. Different tendencies, rhythmes, etc
VikingHoard
Backup

Post by VikingHoard »

Long time lurker here; rare poster.

I'm frankly surprised that people are sticking up for Boone here. Yeah, I know his message was correct but do you guys really think that was an acceptable way to deliver it? Who exactly does Boone think he's talking to? The fans just cheered his team on for hours as they fought a tough and important battle against our main division rival. The fans pay his salary. The fans bought the stadium in the first place. And he thinks it's appropriate to bark orders at and swear at the fans?

Sorry, no. The fans deserve respect and "shut the #### up" is an unacceptable way for him to address us. It's not even acceptable to type it in these forums!

Boone could have easily shown some class and still delivered his message. Had he said "We appreciate your enthusiasm, but please remember this new stadium gets very noisy. It would help us a lot if you would be more attentive to how much noise you're making when we've got the ball." few would have complained. Instead he comes off as a ungrateful jerk whose harsh judgements about the fans mistakes make fans wonder why we should be any less harsh when looking at all of his.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

VikingHoard wrote:Long time lurker here; rare poster.

I'm frankly surprised that people are sticking up for Boone here. Yeah, I know his message was correct but do you guys really think that was an acceptable way to deliver it? Who exactly does Boone think he's talking to? The fans just cheered his team on for hours as they fought a tough and important battle against our main division rival. The fans pay his salary. The fans bought the stadium in the first place. And he thinks it's appropriate to bark orders at and swear at the fans?

Sorry, no. The fans deserve respect and "shut the #### up" is an unacceptable way for him to address us. It's not even acceptable to type it in these forums!

Boone could have easily shown some class and still delivered his message. Had he said "We appreciate your enthusiasm, but please remember this new stadium gets very noisy. It would help us a lot if you would be more attentive to how much noise you're making when we've got the ball." few would have complained. Instead he comes off as a ungrateful jerk whose harsh judgements about the fans mistakes make fans wonder why we should be any less harsh when looking at all of his.

That's how I am looking at it too. The delivery was very, very poor.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018