Wildcat

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Wildcat

Post by Maelstrom88 »

So I guess they are using this more often to try to spark the running game. Are you guys fans or do you view it as a wasted down?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Wildcat

Post by Texas Vike »

Maelstrom88 wrote:So I guess they are using this more often to try to spark the running game. Are you guys fans or do you view it as a wasted down?
For the most part, it worked pretty well today.

I liked the wrinkle of having the sweeper pitch it to Bradford, who then threw it down field. I'd like to see Patterson get the sweep more though.

Most of all, it's working well as a way to get yards up the middle.

Jerrick was a QB in college--I'm waiting for them to have him throw it one of these times.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I don't think it's wasted, given the circumstances. I don't necessarily like the QB being spread out wide, but when they run the Wildcat, I trust the ball handlers and as Tex said, it's a wrinkle. It doesn't have to generate 5 yards a pop for it to be effective, but it's just one of those chess pieces that need to be played for a struggling offense in giving a defense that one extra look to prepare for. It's not like they are exclusively Wildcat, so I think it's peppered in nicely and an unheralded benefit.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I wasn't down on Norv, I was on Shurmur. But considering the circumstances I think Shurmur and the wildcat is the obvious choice over Norv. Norv is going to get elite production out of elite talent, but it seems like throughout his history he isn't going to maximize production. Shurmur had some questionable production throughout his coaching career, but to be honest...I think this team lost with Norv as OC today...they won with Shurmur. If everyone was healthy I'd prefer Norv. They aren't.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Demi wrote:I wasn't down on Norv, I was on Shurmur. But considering the circumstances I think Shurmur and the wildcat is the obvious choice over Norv. Norv is going to get elite production out of elite talent, but it seems like throughout his history he isn't going to maximize production. Shurmur had some questionable production throughout his coaching career, but to be honest...I think this team lost with Norv as OC today...they won with Shurmur. If everyone was healthy I'd prefer Norv. They aren't.
Yeah if Norv was still the OC and doing 7 step drops Sam would be out for the season. I'm not a huge fan of Shurmur but he does certainly call plays for the ball to come out quickly. If this team would have lost with a special teams TD and a defensive TD that would have been absolutely pathetic.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Demi wrote:I wasn't down on Norv, I was on Shurmur. But considering the circumstances I think Shurmur and the wildcat is the obvious choice over Norv. Norv is going to get elite production out of elite talent, but it seems like throughout his history he isn't going to maximize production. Shurmur had some questionable production throughout his coaching career, but to be honest...I think this team lost with Norv as OC today...they won with Shurmur. If everyone was healthy I'd prefer Norv. They aren't.
I'm not sure how you can have such a strong conviction when we don't even know why Norv resigned...I don't necessarily agree nor disagree with the idea that Shurmur is better for calling the plays on offense than Norv was, but you almost insinuate that the Wildcat was chosen over Norv..."I think Shurmur and the wildcat is the obvious choice over Norv." Nah...That makes little sense. I don't mind your pessimistic view, even though it's grown tiresome and now frivolous, but you follow it all up with, in summation, "the Vikings lose if Norv was the OC today, but since they won, Shurmur is the guy, however, if their offense was at full strength, I'd prefer Norv." :lol: What?!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I'm not sure how you can have such a strong conviction when we don't even know why Norv resigned
Did you miss the articles when Shurmur was hired? :confused:
I don't mind your pessimistic view, even though it's grown tiresome and now frivolous, but you follow it all up with, in summation, "the Vikings lose if Norv was the OC today, but since they won, Shurmur is the guy, however, if their offense was at full strength, I'd prefer Norv." :lol: What?!
:roll:
Pessimistic? I wasn't a fan of Shurmur when he was hired...because of his history. But after the injuries he became a better option. If Teddy, AD, the OL, EVERYTHING had been the same, I'd take Norv over Shurmur, thought that was clear before the season. Look at Shurmur's history of coaching.

This team won by 1 score. Norv is going to run Norv's offense. There's a reason they hired Shurmur, do you think they hired Shurmur because of my pessimistic view? And Norv resigned because of my pessimitic view? :deadhorse:

My "pessimistic view" is the reason they signed Shurmur this offseason. Because they saw the issues with Turner's offense coming off of last season :wallbang:
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Can your pessimistic view sign the Cowboys offensive line as well?

Thanks in advance.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

The wildcat has given us our best running plays all year. I'm waiting for jet to throw one. He played QB in college so I'm sure he can definitely do it. I mean if Doug Baldwin can throw one to Wilson then I'm sure her can toss it....just not to Bradford. Side note: that stupid play lost me my fantasy game
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Pondering Her Percy wrote:The wildcat has given us our best running plays all year. I'm waiting for jet to throw one. He played QB in college so I'm sure he can definitely do it. I mean if Doug Baldwin can throw one to Wilson then I'm sure her can toss it....just not to Bradford. Side note: that stupid play lost me my fantasy game

I played quarterback in college...Yet, here I type.

Put me in though...I will solve all the Vikings offensive problems.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I have to wonder if the wildcat isn't more of a Sparano thing than a Shurmur thing. Sparano sort of invented the idea when he was head coach in Miami, and he took the league by storm with it until defensive coordinators figured it out in like, two weeks.

The Vikings are going to get Bradford killed running that formation. We got very lucky when the refs called that personal foul on Patrick Peterson yesterday. It generated a ton of criticism, and I'd bet other teams will try the same tactic.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

I'm pretty sure they'll coach Bradford to run straight out of bounds from now on out of this formation. Then one day, McKinnon will sweep, stand up, and throw to a wide open Sam in the endzone.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

5thWave wrote:I'm pretty sure they'll coach Bradford to run straight out of bounds from now on out of this formation. Then one day, McKinnon will sweep, stand up, and throw to a wide open Sam in the endzone.

That would be hilarious.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Maelstrom88 wrote:So I guess they are using this more often to try to spark the running game. Are you guys fans or do you view it as a wasted down?
I like it.....however SB needed more arm into that throw. It all worked out with the PI call though. Just would have been nice to complete that would be TD.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

The game has passed Norv By like it did Shula, Landry, Schottenheimer, Parcells ect ect ect. It happens. Old school finally becomes "Old school" and won't work with bigger, faster players.