View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Gameday food thread 
Packers Suck

Post Gameday food thread
What are you guys making/buying/grilling up for tonight?

I was going to order pizza and wings but I know someone who works at the place and he says everyone working there is sick (lol) so.. yea, that is not happening.

Im just going to roll with some chinese takeout tonight, but what about you guys? I know at least some of you probably are barbecueing up something tasty.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:39 am
Defensive Tackle

Post Re: Gameday food thread
Jordysghost wrote:

I'm making an apple cider beef stew. It'll be slow-cooked for about 10 hours and it should be ready by kickoff.

Quote:
I was going to order pizza and wings but I know someone who works at the place and he says everyone working there is sick (lol) so.. yea, that is not happening.

That does sound like a bit too much of a gamble...

Quote:
Im just going to roll with some chinese takeout tonight, but what about you guys? I know at least some of you probably are barbecueing up something tasty.

Chinese take-out is never a bad idea (if it's from a good place anyway).

I'm not sure what I'm going to do beverage-wise. I'll have to see what I have in the fridge.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:20 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

I haven't decided. Chinese does sound good...

Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

:beerock:

Grilling some salmon and have a bottle of moscato in the fridge.

Also have some sierra nevadas lined up, in case I'm feeling it. 8)

Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:53 pm
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:

How are you seasoning that salmon and what are you having with it? I'm partial to grilled or roasted asparagus with salmon.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:06 pm
Packers Suck

Mothman wrote:
Jordysghost wrote:

I'm making an apple cider beef stew. It'll be slow-cooked for about 10 hours and it should be ready by kickoff.

Quote:

That does sound like a bit too much of a gamble...

Quote:

Chinese take-out is never a bad idea (if it's from a good place anyway).

I'm not sure what I'm going to do beverage-wise. I'll have to see what I have in the fridge.

Mm that certainly sounds good!

Yea, ill have to go pick up chinese as opposed to having it delivered but its only 15 minutes away by car so more then worth it for sparing me influenza.

Oh man, this place is so good, so unassuming too, just a little box looking place on a corner next to a much larger dunkin donuts on the same building, they are hiding the best wantons you will ever encounter in there though. :thumbsup:

Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:06 pm
Defensive Tackle

Jordysghost wrote:
Yea, ill have to go pick up chinese as opposed to having it delivered but its only 15 minutes away by car so more then worth it for sparing me influenza.

Oh man, this place is so good, so unassuming too, just a little box looking place on a corner next to a much larger dunkin donuts on the same building, they are hiding the best wantons you will ever encounter in there though. :thumbsup:

There's a place like that in the town next to where I grew up. It's carry-out only, little more than a kitchen with a counter out front for transactions, but they make the best Mongolian Beef I've ever had!

Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:18 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

How are you seasoning that salmon and what are you having with it? I'm partial to grilled or roasted asparagus with salmon.

It's wild caught Alaskan salmon that comes soaking in a marinade. I'm not sure what the marinade contains, but I love it! I like to make a salad with a lemon and shallot vinaigrette and red apple slices, bacon and feta or goat cheese. It's to die for. And couscous as a side. It all goes well with the moscato.

How do you grill asparagus, Jim? I usually fry it in a pan with garlic and olive oil, but I'd love to learn to grill it.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:31 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Since my wife is working today, I'm suppose to cook dinner and have it ready when she gets home (1930 local time). But the game will be going on by then. I'll probably just order up some Buffalo Wild Wings and tell her to pick it up on the way home. I can't bring myself to be cooking while the game is on.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
It's wild caught Alaskan salmon that comes soaking in a marinade. I'm not sure what the marinade contains, but I love it!

Are you sure it's not just seawater? ;)

Quote:
I like to make a salad with a lemon and shallot vinaigrette and red apple slices, bacon and feta or goat cheese. It's to die for. And couscous as a side. It all goes well with the moscato.

That sounds really good!

Quote:
How do you grill asparagus, Jim? I usually fry it in a pan with garlic and olive oil, but I'd love to learn to grill it.

There's not much to it. here's a link that will explain it better than I could.

When roasting it, I lightly coat it in olive oil and toss it with a bit of sea salt (you don't need much), a dash of pepper and a liberal sprinkling of parmesan. Then I lay it out on a cookie sheet and roast it at 450 degrees for about 7 or 8 minutes. I take it out, flip the pieces, and roast it for another 6-8 minutes. The result is amazing. The asparagus gets very juicy inside but the tips get nice and crispy. I'm addicted to it.

It's best when roasting or grilling to use thicker stalks. The thin ones will work but not as well (and you need to use shorter times).

Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:57 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
It's wild caught Alaskan salmon that comes soaking in a marinade. I'm not sure what the marinade contains, but I love it!

Are you sure it's not just seawater? ;)

Quote:
I like to make a salad with a lemon and shallot vinaigrette and red apple slices, bacon and feta or goat cheese. It's to die for. And couscous as a side. It all goes well with the moscato.

That sounds really good!

Quote:

There's not much to it. here's a link that will explain it better than I could.

When roasting it, I lightly coat it in olive oil and toss it with a bit of sea salt (you don't need much), a dash of pepper and a liberal sprinkling of parmesan. Then I lay it out on a cookie sheet and roast it at 450 degrees for about 7 or 8 minutes. I take it out, flip the pieces, and roast it for another 6-8 minutes. The result is amazing. The asparagus gets very juicy inside but the tips get nice and crispy. I'm addicted to it.

It's best when roasting or grilling to use thicker stalks. The thin ones will work but not as well (and you need to use shorter times).

Hahaha, well if there's a sea with that kind of water, I'd swim with my mouth open. I love the stuff.

Your asparagus recipe sounds great. I'll try it soon.

The worst part of playing the night game is waiting! One of those brown ales is just begging me to drink it, but I don't want to start tying one on either! Otherwise I'll be cross eyed by game time. This morning the game day anxiety pushed me to paint the trellis I'd built, nothing like a hands-on project to make time pass... but dang, there's still 4.5 hours! Might have to go cut the grass.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:58 pm
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
Hahaha, well if there's a sea with that kind of water, I'd swim with my mouth open. I love the stuff.

That's just how the fish do it. :)

Quote:
Your asparagus recipe sounds great. I'll try it soon.

I think you'll like it!

Quote:
The worst part of playing the night game is waiting! One of those brown ales is just begging me to drink it, but I don't want to start tying one on either! Otherwise I'll be cross eyed by game time. This morning the game day anxiety pushed me to paint the trellis I'd built, nothing like a hands-on project to make time pass... but dang, there's still 4.5 hours! Might have to go cut the grass.

Fortunately (or unfortunately), I have work to do between now and game time so my mind will be adequately occupied. I do hate the wait though. The game has been on my mind all day.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:22 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Fired the smoker up and smoked 10lbs of wings.

[img Image][/img]

Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:23 pm
All Pro Elite Player

The wait all day for night games is a killer. Luckily I had some assignments to work on for law school that helped kill time. I'm just glad it's not a Monday Night game.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Defensive Tackle

drooool....

Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:27 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

halfgiz wrote:

[img Image][/img]

Very nice! What's your method? They look great.

I love grilling/ smoking meats. I very nearly decided to smoke a pork butt today, but the thought occurred to me a bit late. At 6-8 lbs they take some time to thaw out and then they need dry brining... takes some foresight.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:29 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Texas Vike wrote:
halfgiz wrote:

Very nice! What's your method? They look great.

I love grilling/ smoking meats. I very nearly decided to smoke a pork butt today, but the thought occurred to me a bit late. At 6-8 lbs they take some time to thaw out and then they need dry brining... takes some foresight.

Smoke them @ 300 when they hit 155 I pull them and crisp them on my gasser. Then I will sauce them in a bowl depending on what sauce and how hot the person wants them. 10lbs makes 2 - 1/2 pans...

Butts don't need brined. I would have just throwed it on frozen and smoked it.

Last edited by halfgiz on Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:37 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

halfgiz wrote:

???

May not need it, but they sure are better for it and there's NO way I'd throw one on frozen.

I follow amazingribs.com methods and use Memphis dust as a rub, with dry brining the night before-- I usually share with up to 30 friends and they leave very happy! :P

Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:52 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Texas Vike wrote:
halfgiz wrote:

???

May not need it, but they sure are better for it and there's NO way I'd throw one on frozen.

I follow amazingribs.com methods and use Memphis dust as a rub, with dry brining the night before-- I usually share with up to 30 friends and they leave very happy! :P

When you smoke a lot of butts you buy them by the case frozen. Rub them, throw them on the smoker...they cook up fine.
Is it idea? No but it works.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:00 pm
Packers Suck

Halfgiz delivers with the picture! Anyone else feel free to do the same.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:06 pm
Packers Suck

Mothman wrote:
Jordysghost wrote:

There's a place like that in the town next to where I grew up. It's carry-out only, little more than a kitchen with a counter out front for transactions, but they make the best Mongolian Beef I've ever had!

Funny, this place fits that description pretty much to a tee, there are like two tables, and its usually filled with the owners kids.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:09 pm
Transition Player

I'm just going to eat a salad with some warm milk.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:09 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

I like big butts...

Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

halfgiz wrote:

[img Image][/img]

Is that Crow? I know some Packers fans who are having that right now. :D

Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:46 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

My buddy had a 14 dollar burger at the stadium and it was super dried and bad :( kinda dissapointing!

Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:53 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

So sad I missed this thread until now!

I smoked up a bunch of wings which were glazed with my homemade sriracha BBQ sauce and served with a greek yogurt blue cheese dip. Also did a Choizo/Mushroom queso dip. Add in some Lagunitas and happy times were had. :)

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:17 am
All Pro Elite Player

Chicken again this week thighs/ split chicken breasts

[img][IMG]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/doog519/Mobile%20Uploads/image_25.jpeg[/img][/img]

Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:18 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

MNF = A large portion of Sriracha BBQ wings, blue cheese dip, and a suped up Chili Con Queso. The chili is courtesy of a Fronter Grill Chili Starter. Look it up online and enjoy. In terms of quick chili it can't be beat. Frankly I'd have to do A LOT of work to make better chili than what comes out of that starter. Strongly recommend for game day eats.

Beer will once again be Lagunitas 12th of Never. Man that stuff is good.

Apologize for the lack of originality, but the wing recipe is killing it right now and the fam and I just can't get enough.

This thread needs more posts. I guarantee I'll have a humdinger on Turkey Day when we thrash the kittens.

Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:12 pm
Fenrir

I'll be at work :?

Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:24 pm
Defensive Tackle

mansquatch wrote:
MNF = A large portion of Sriracha BBQ wings, blue cheese dip, and a suped up Chili Con Queso. The chili is courtesy of a Fronter Grill Chili Starter. Look it up online and enjoy. In terms of quick chili it can't be beat. Frankly I'd have to do A LOT of work to make better chili than what comes out of that starter. Strongly recommend for game day eats.

Bayless is hard to beat. The man knows his Mexican flavors. :)

I haven't tried the chili starters but I use a number of the other Frontera products. The seasoning sauces are great for tacos. That's the direction I'm leaning for Monday's game: steak tacos. However, I might get some pork and use the Frontera Garlic Pork Carnitas Slow Cook Sauce to make carnitas. I have a packet of it here and it's nice to use the slow-cooker for night games. Smelling the food cooking all day creates even more anticipation for the game!

Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next