Packers @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 2

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Packers @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 2

Post by yezzir »

Good Morning and Skol!!!!

:govikes: :v):

My prediction: Vikings 23, Packers 20

SERIES HISTORY: 110th regular-season meeting. Packers lead series, 58-49-2. Minnesota's 20-13 win at Green Bay on Jan. 3 to end the 2015 regular season and earn the Vikings the NFC North title snapped a three-year run of dominance by the Packers in the rivals' head-to-head matchups. The Packers were unbeaten in the previous six games (5-0-1), stretching back to their 24-10 knockout of Minnesota in the wild-card round of the playoffs at Lambeau Field during the 2012 season. Going back to the 2010 season, Green Bay is 10-2-1 against the Vikings, including a 5-1 mark in Minnesota.
GAMEDATE: 9/18/16

KEYS TO THE GAME: After the Titans held Vikings RB Adrian Peterson to a minuscule 31 yards on 19 carries, the 10th-year pro knows too well the target won't be taken off his No. 28 jersey when the Packers and Vikings renew their rivalry on Sunday night. Peterson already has been brushing up on Green Bay's revamped defense, which held the Jaguars to 48 rushing yards and less than two yards per attempt in its season-opening win.

The Packers excelled in bottling up Peterson in their two encounters with the Vikings last season in his return to football. He gained a cumulative 112 yards on 32 carries, scoring two touchdowns.

While Peterson is the top priority for the defense, the Packers can't neglect Minnesota's capable passing attack, whether it's triggered by journeyman Shaun Hill or recently acquired Sam Bradford. Vikings coach Mike Zimmer isn't expected to announce the starter until later in the week after going with Hill in their season-opening win. While Bradford went 0-2 against the Packers with the Rams, a game Hill set career highs with 54 pass attempts and 34 completions in throwing for 331 yards and two touchdowns with two interceptions in Green Bay's narrow win over the Detroit Lions in 2010.

As for Green Bay's offense, coach Mike McCarthy would like to go up-tempo and take the Vikings' boisterous crowd for their first game at U.S. Bank Stadium out of play by striking early and often. Since defensive whiz Zimmer has had a way of confounding Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay's potent passing game with exotic coverages and pressures, the Packers may need to make liberal use of running the football with Eddie Lacy after limiting him to 14 carries in the hot conditions at Jacksonville last Sunday.

MATCHUPS TO WATCH:

--Vikings FS Harrison Smith, who has intercepted Aaron Rodgers twice in seven meetings, vs. Packers QB Aaron Rodgers, who has thrown only five picks in 17 games against the Vikings. Smith is head coach Mike Zimmer's key piece in many of his third-down blitz packages. He can rush off the edge, line up close and drop or play in deep coverage. Rodgers will have to keep an eye on him as much as any other defender.

--Vikings RB Adrian Peterson, who averaged 1.6 yards on 19 carries in the season opener, vs. Packers OLBs Clay Matthews and Nick Perry. Peterson rushed for only 31 yards in the win over the Titans. His longest carry was a 9-yarder against a 3-4 defense that used several eight- and nine-man fronts to stop Peterson. The Vikings weren't able to clear out the middle of the Titans' defense, allowing the outside linebackers to swarm and box Peterson in.

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT: Quarterback Sam Bradford has the arm strength and the deep-ball accuracy to help the Vikings' running game get some more favorable fronts. But will he know where to go with the ball on Sunday night, when he's expected to make his Vikings debut against the Packers at U.S. Bank Stadium? Will he have had enough time to get the timing down with receivers he had never met a little over two weeks ago? And will he have enough of the plays, checks and protections down pat enough to keep the Packers off-balance? The Vikings aren't saying whether Bradford will start, but they have said they believe he will have had enough time to learn enough of what he'll need to know to be effective against the team that's trying to re-take the NFC North title it lost to the Vikings a year ago.

INJURY REPORT: Green Bay -- Out: CB Josh Hawkins (hamstring). Doubtful: S Chris Banjo (hamstring), LB Jay Elliott (hamstring), CB Sam Shields (concussion). Questionable: WR Trevor Davis (shoulder). Minnesota -- Out: DT Sharrif Floyd (knee), TE MyCole Pruitt (knee), CB Xavier Rhodes (knee). Questionable: T Matt Kalil (hip).

FAST FACTS: Green Bay QB Aaron Rodgers passed for two TDs last week and added a rushing TD. He has at least two TD passes in 11 of the past 13 games vs. the Vikings and is looking for his 14th straight game with a TD pass vs. Minnesota. ... Eighth-year LB Clay Matthews has 68.5 sacks, tying him with the late Reggie White for second place on the Packers' all-time list. Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila has the team record, with 74.5. ... TE Kyle Rudolph had four catches for 65 yards last week. He now has 186 career catches, which is tied with Jermaine Wiggins for the fourth-most by a tight end in Vikings history. ... Minnesota KR Cordarrelle Patterson's 61-yard kickoff return was the longest in the NFL in Week 1. ... Vikings DE Danielle Hunter, who was second among NFL rookies with six sacks a year ago, had his first of the season in the opener. He also scored his first touchdown off a 24-yard fumble return.

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2016 ... 474159816/
Purple Martin
Starter

Re: Packers @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 2

Post by Purple Martin »

Vikings fans: :rofl: :rock:
Jordysghost: :confused: :steamed:
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I'm both nervous and excited for this game. I'm fed up with the Packers so I'd love to see the Vikes give them the kind of beatdown that will leave them whimpering for the rest of the season.

However, I'm expecting a close game.

:govikes:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
JohnnyNight
Waterboy

Post by JohnnyNight »

Hi All,

Back for a visit..

Just saw NFL office said that 16 calls were missed in last weeks Pack Jags game and many of them were non-calls against Packs secondary..

Saw a couple and just unreal how Pack guys all over receivers and no call made, so think there's a good possibility closer watch be made this week against those guys which should work out good for Vikings..

I'm rooting for Sam to have a big game..

Little concerned about running game, but you guys know more so don't know what you all think..

Good luck..!
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

JohnnyNight wrote:Hi All,

Back for a visit..

Just saw NFL office said that 16 calls were missed in last weeks Pack Jags game and many of them were non-calls against Packs secondary..

Saw a couple and just unreal how Pack guys all over receivers and no call made, so think there's a good possibility closer watch be made this week against those guys which should work out good for Vikings..

I'm rooting for Sam to have a big game..

Little concerned about running game, but you guys know more so don't know what you all think..

Good luck..!
Right, guess you didn't notice any of the plethora of bad calls in the Jags favor, I guess you just didn't want to see them as much. ;)
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Purple Martin wrote:Vikings fans: :rofl: :rock:
Jordysghost: :confused: :steamed:
Its a lose lose for you guys because if the Packers win, they win and I probably only post sparingly the rest of the week, but if they lose, ill probably stick around just to annoy you.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Jordysghost wrote: Its a lose lose for you guys because if the Packers win, they win and I probably only post sparingly the rest of the week, but if they lose, ill probably stick around just to annoy you.
I can change that :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Fans being asked to be in their seats by 7 for a special ceremony. Icelandic chant??

TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

If Bradford goes for 300+ and at least 1 TD I will buy a Vikings Bradford jersey tomorrow.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

S197 wrote: I can change that :)

Lol, you'd ban me after a tough loss to my division rival?

Cold as ice.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Vegas has the over/under of Rodgers complaining about missed PI calls at +3.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

TSonn wrote:Vegas has the over/under of Rodgers complaining about missed PI calls at +3.
Rodgers would fit right in on this board.
Eliot
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Eliot »

I think Adam Thielen has a solid game today. Sam Shields is out, so the Packers CB's are pretty rough. This will be a good game for Sam Bradford to show what he has, and also gives Thielen/Patterson a chance to prove their talents.

It's going to be a close matchup.

Make sure you are ready to drink, as always. :burp:
Minnesota Vikings fan from Missouri!

Skol!
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Eliot wrote:I think Adam Thielen has a solid game today. Sam Shields is out, so the Packers CB's are pretty rough. This will be a good game for Sam Bradford to show what he has, and also gives Thielen/Patterson a chance to prove their talents.

It's going to be a close matchup.

Make sure you are ready to drink, as always. :burp:
I don't agree, I think the Packers secondary is deep.

We will see tonight, Rhodes is out so that is a big one too.