Cordarrelle Patterson watch WEEK 2

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

How many touches and targets will Cordarrelle Patterson get on offense in week 2?

No votes
8%
17%
38%
4+
38%

Total votes: 24

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Cordarrelle Patterson watch WEEK 2

Post by Mothman »

Patterson had a nice game in week 1. He had two touches on offense, both effective plays. After the game, Mike Zimmer said:
“You line up in the right place, work hard, he catches the ball when he has the opportunity,” Zimmer said. “When you have the opportunities, you make plays. The harder you work, the harder it is keep guys out. For him, the harder you work, the harder it is to surrender. That’s what he’s done – he’s earned playing time.”
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/V ... 8eb1558f6e

So, how many touches (runs or passes) and targets (passes attempted to him) will Patterson have on offense against the Packers? Remember, kick returns don't count because they are special teams plays, not offensive plays.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Cordarrelle Patterson watch WEEK 2

Post by Thaumaturgist »

I went with 4+ I think that he showed more than CJ did, and hopefully the coaches see that as well. Against the Packers we're going to need every playmaker to contribute. Onward Cordarrelle!
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Anyone who says he can't catch needs go back and watch that strong hands catch on the comeback - with the corner all over him (that would have been an INT if Cordarrelle wasn't physical at the point of the ball). I know it was only an 8 yard gain, but still, that was a great catch.

I hope he gets *actual* touches this game. The same old, jet sweep or bubble screen won't cut it. This dude needs to get an opportunity to catch the ball and get in space.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Anyone who says he can't catch needs go back and watch that strong hands catch on the comeback - with the corner all over him (that would have been an INT if Cordarrelle wasn't physical at the point of the ball). I know it was only an 8 yard gain, but still, that was a great catch.

I hope he gets *actual* touches this game. The same old, jet sweep or bubble screen won't cut it. This dude needs to get an opportunity to catch the ball and get in space.
I thought the negative with Patterson has always been the route running and not fully grasping all the plays. Not his actual literal receiving ability.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Anyone who says he can't catch needs go back and watch that strong hands catch on the comeback - with the corner all over him (that would have been an INT if Cordarrelle wasn't physical at the point of the ball). I know it was only an 8 yard gain, but still, that was a great catch.
Yes, he did a terrific job on that play.
I say start him over Johnson and get the ball in his hands 7 or 8 times on Sunday. However, I'm fine with bubble screens. That can be a great play for him. I just want him to get more than just those sweep and screen opportunities.

Don't forget to vote in the poll!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: Yes, he did a terrific job on that play.
I say start him over Johnson and get the ball in his hands 7 or 8 times on Sunday. However, I'm fine with bubble screens. That can be a great play for him. I just want him to get more than just those sweep and screen opportunities.

Don't forget to vote in the poll!
I agree on the screens. I actually think it's a great play to break up the loaded box. If they want to stuff AD in the middle, get it out laterally to CP84 with Laquon blocking and let him spring one. CP84 is wicked once he gets some momentum, so slants would also be a natural choice, IMO.

I voted 4+, probably hopeful, but we'll see.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

I don't see this being Cordarrell's week.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I absolutely agree with all the above.

Still, I voted 3 touches. I hope it's more than that. The offense needs Patterson's big play ability.

Quite honestly, I wish the Vikings would start Diggs, Thielen and Patterson as their 3WR set. That's not a knock on the other WRs on the team. It's more a matter of how good those three guys are at catching the ball. All three made tough catches against the Titans.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

If they get him one more touch/target per week he will be a major part of the offense by mid season. I see no reason to rush them if they have a gameplan. Hell, it could be as basic as "We put you out X number of times a game, if you get targeted and you make as positive a play as possible, next week it goes to X+1" I feel like that would back up everything they have said about Patterson not quite getting it but working at it. This could be the indication that he is finally starting to translate the work in practice onto the field and the coaching staff is easing him in. Probably in a way they wanted to a season or two ago but hey, its something.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:If they get him one more touch/target per week he will be a major part of the offense by mid season. I see no reason to rush them if they have a gameplan. Hell, it could be as basic as "We put you out X number of times a game, if you get targeted and you make as positive a play as possible, next week it goes to X+1" I feel like that would back up everything they have said about Patterson not quite getting it but working at it. This could be the indication that he is finally starting to translate the work in practice onto the field and the coaching staff is easing him in. Probably in a way they wanted to a season or two ago but hey, its something.
0 offensive TDs in week 1 might be a good reason to push things along at a faster pace. :)

Seriously, I understand your point and bumping his touches up incrementally makes a certain amount of sense but honestly, if he's ready to go out and make 2-4 plays a game, I don't see why he couldn't go out and make 8. I'd like to see them try it sooner rather than later. This offense could use a spark.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re:

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

losperros wrote: I absolutely agree with all the above.

Still, I voted 3 touches. I hope it's more than that. The offense needs Patterson's big play ability.

Quite honestly, I wish the Vikings would start Diggs, Thielen and Patterson as their 3WR set. That's not a knock on the other WRs on the team. It's more a matter of how good those three guys are at catching the ball. All three made tough catches against the Titans.
This is exactly what I was thinking last night. I voted 4+, and think the coaches will, finally, take a serious look at CP getting touches. Theilens a great possession guy, and Diggs is in the top 10% of Wr's in the NFL. Hard to cover all that and keep an eye on Kyle.

CP made a great catch in good coverage, showing off his good hands. He doesnt have to have the fly routes (although I think he could do these as well) but he needs touches. He has elusive speed, and great acceleration. I dont know if Johnson is hurt, but I think some of his reps should go to CP. He's a home run waiting to happen every time he touches the ball. I dont see how the coaches wouldnt give CP even more touches again the Packers.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

I will say, for as hard as I have been on Jim for wanting Patterson to be our QB, RB, OLine, WR core, and TEs he has always been borderline straight-cash-money on sideline throws. Its nice to see.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:I will say, for as hard as I have been on Jim for wanting Patterson to be our QB, RB, OLine, WR core, and TEs he has always been borderline straight-cash-money on sideline throws. Its nice to see.
:lol:

That's true.

The guy can play. I know you were just exaggerating for effect (I actually laughed out loud at your comment) and I know I've been overzealous in advocating for Patterson but the simple truth is, I just want to see the Vikings take advantage of his playmaking ability. They need it! There have been at least 5 or 6 games in the Zimmer era when they've failed to score a single offensive TD and quite a few more where they've only scored 1. This team needs to make use of every bit of firepower at it's disposal.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Texas Vike wrote:
I agree on the screens. I actually think it's a great play to break up the loaded box. If they want to stuff AD in the middle, get it out laterally to CP84 with Laquon blocking and let him spring one. CP84 is wicked once he gets some momentum, so slants would also be a natural choice, IMO.

I voted 4+, probably hopeful, but we'll see.
I voted 3 but totally agree with the above......not just the gadget plays.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Its encouraging to see Patterson taking advantage of the chances he's given. I'd like to see him in for Johnson too. He's just so much more dangerous ...