Bridgewater Down

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Bridgewater Down

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:Has there been anything definitive about a timeline now that the surgery passed? The "2 day to 2 months" quote was the last I read.

There's been nothing official from the Vikings or Bridgewater.

However, there's this, which was published prior to the surgery:

Nature of Teddy Bridgewater's knee injury likely requires longer recovery than ACL tear
Armin Tehrany, founder of Manhattan Orthopedic Care, said the non-contact injury that Bridgewater sustained Tuesday is generally more complicated than the usual anterior cruciate ligament tear.
“This isn’t the typical ACL repair from a non-contact injury, where all you have to worry about is making the knee stable. With a knee dislocation, you have to worry about the loss of function in the injured knee for the rest of the patient’s life.”

ACL tear recoveries take six to nine months. Tehrany said those who dislocate their knee can expect a recovery from nine to 12 months in best-case scenarios and, if arterial or nerve damage is ultimately found, the recovery could be as long as two years.
As I understand it, there was no arterial or nerve damage to Bridgewater's knee so it's possible he could be ready for next season, although depending on where he's at in his recovery, he could end up starting 2017 on the PUP list.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote:
There's been nothing official from the Vikings or Bridgewater.

However, there's this, which was published prior to the surgery:

Nature of Teddy Bridgewater's knee injury likely requires longer recovery than ACL tear
As I understand it, there was no arterial or nerve damage to Bridgewater's knee so it's possible he could be ready for next season, although depending on where he's at in his recovery, he could end up starting 2017 on the PUP list.
Still though, 12 months doesn't mean bed ridden till 366 days later. He'll be off support by Christmas and probably doing heavy PT by Spring.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:Still though, 12 months doesn't mean bed ridden till 366 days later. He'll be off support by Christmas and probably doing heavy PT by Spring.
Sure, I wasn't implying otherwise. Sorry if it seemed that way...
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote: Sure, I wasn't implying otherwise. Sorry if it seemed that way...

:lol: I am just a little confused. ALL I was saying that it will be nice to see TB standing on the sidelines in a hoodie and sweats if we make the post.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:
:lol: I am just a little confused. ALL I was saying that it will be nice to see TB standing on the sidelines in a hoodie and sweats if we make the post.

I thought you were implying that he might be available to play because you said he'd be "near game day (health wise) ready ".
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

Mothman wrote:

I thought you were implying that he might be available to play because you said he'd be "near game day (health wise) ready ".

That was the pretty clear implication I gathered from it too.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Purple Martin wrote:
That was the pretty clear implication I gathered from it too.

I wasn't. I literally said he would be on the sidelines :lol: just like any number of inactive players in our team history. The health wise comment was about how by that time hell be training again. Obviously on a specialized regent but he will be.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote: I wasn't. I literally said he would be on the sidelines :lol: just like any number of inactive players in our team history. The health wise comment was about how by that time hell be training again. Obviously on a specialized regent but he will be.
Obviously, there was a misunderstanding. :)
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

FYI, there is no way to be certain there is no nerve damage yet. Damage to the other collateral ligaments can be fixed incredibly well nowadays. Anyone remember a certain Epic Viking named Robt Smith?? However, what they CANNOT repair in anyway with current medical care is torn menisci. If he has lost the meniscal surface he will quickly move into osteoarthritis and not be a functional athlete.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

chicagopurple wrote:FYI, there is no way to be certain there is no nerve damage yet. Damage to the other collateral ligaments can be fixed incredibly well nowadays. Anyone remember a certain Epic Viking named Robt Smith?? However, what they CANNOT repair in anyway with current medical care is torn menisci. If he has lost the meniscal surface he will quickly move into osteoarthritis and not be a functional athlete.
How likely is that damage to have occurred?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

PurpleMustReign wrote: How likely is that damage to have occurred?

From what I have read is sorta a crap shoot, but they did avoid a huge contributor by bracing his leg correctly within 20 seconds of the injury, the opinions I've read say thats very good news. I dont think we will know for certain until next summer.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:
From what I have read is sorta a crap shoot, but they did avoid a huge contributor by bracing his leg correctly within 20 seconds of the injury, the opinions I've read say thats very good news. I dont think we will know for certain until next summer.
They're not giving us details so we may never know exactly what was damaged, just if they think he's recovered enough to be an effective QB. Their reluctance to release details makes me wonder just how extensive the damage was but they don't seem eager to release details on minor injuries to other players either so perhaps I shouldn't read anything into the secrecy.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote:They're not giving us details so we may never know exactly what was damaged, just if they think he's recovered enough to be an effective QB. Their reluctance to release details makes me wonder just how extensive the damage was but they don't seem eager to release details on minor injuries to other players either so perhaps I shouldn't read anything into the secrecy.
Another thing to remember is they said that Bradford being under contract for two years was a huge draw and that was well after they would have had the details of the injury. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it does turn out that Bridgewater's injury is/was expected to end his career.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote: Another thing to remember is they said that Bradford being under contract for two years was a huge draw and that was well after they would have had the details of the injury. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it does turn out that Bridgewater's injury is/was expected to end his career.
That comment about Bradford's contract is a bit of a "tell" isn't it?

I don't think I shared this here but after the injury, when I was trying to read up on this stuff, I came across this Bleacher Report article from a few years ago about the most devastating injuries for an NFL player:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2083 ... g-injuries

The first injury listed was "The Multi-Ligament Knee Injury or Dislocation". The article contained the following:
Even so, some knee-injury combinations can prove especially devastating. For example, knee dislocations—where the joint surfaces of the femur and tibia separate—constitute true orthopedic emergencies and require immediate action.

The ACL runs through the center of the knee and prevents it from over-twisting inward.
When a knee dislocates, the shifting bones can threaten other structures within the joint—not to mention the ACL, PCL, MCL and LCL. In extreme cases, a dislocation can compress or tear the popliteal artery—the main blood supply of the lower leg—as it runs through the knee. Unless a doctor sets—or "reduces"—the dislocation, the compromised blood flow can cause tissue damage or death beyond the site of the injury.

Furthermore, outward-directed dislocations can stretch and damage the common peroneal nerve—the nerve responsible for controlling sensation and movement in the lower leg.

Fortunately, knee dislocations in the highest levels of football remain rare—though they do exist. When they occur, the complicated and lengthy rehab, shear extent of damage and potential for setbacks, long-term complications or incomplete healing make for quite the uphill battle.

In Oct. 2012, former University of South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore suffered a right knee dislocation—one that, according to Sports Illustrated's Andy Staples, tore his ACL, PCL and LCL.

The San Francisco 49ers drafted Lattimore in 2013. He is still recovering, but according to Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee, he is taking part in 49ers OTAs.

Former Los Angeles Raiders fullback Napoleon McCallum was not so lucky.

As Jerry Crowe wrote in 2010 for The Los Angeles Times, McCallum tore three ligaments in his knee and "suffered nerve and artery damage" in addition to muscle injuries. He never played in the NFL again. With today's advancing medical care and surgical technique, such a heartbreaking scenario is hopefully becoming less and less likely.
Lattimore never really made it back either and retired at 23. :(

The Sporting News had an article about Bridgewater's potential road to recovery that also mentioned Lattimore and McCallum:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/te ... 0wmloya5zo
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Given that we are the Vikings you can probably put money on two things

Bridgewater will likely retire due to this

He would have been the greatest QB ever if it hadnt happened.

:cry: