Will Trae Waynes win the starting CB job?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Will Trae Waynes win the starting CB job?

Post by Mothman »

Just Me wrote: I thought Waynes looked great in coverage yesterday. Just got back from Minneapolis and enjoyed the first game at our "new house". Loved the "open feel" of US Bank stadium. Was 5 rows up from the field (corner end zone) and got a good picture of Rudolph's TD. Highly recommend the new venue for those who are thinking about going.

Back on topic (sort of). When Waynes got flagged for the unnecessary roughness, I was livid! The ball carrier was not down (and in fact wasn't down until the "body slam" was made). I'm sure I'm just not understanding the rule, or something, but can anyone explain to me what a defender is supposed to do? (Ask the offensive player to "pretty please" take a knee?) All facetiousness aside, is that type of tackle just a no-no (like a horse collar) or did the official just over-react to a hard tackle? (sincere question).

It's the former (a "no-no"). I'm not sure exactly how the rule is worded but lifting a player and throwing him down like that is now a penalty... or at least thats what John Lynch said on the broadcast!
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Mothman wrote:
It's the former (a "no-no"). I'm not sure exactly how the rule is worded but lifting a player and throwing him down like that is now a penalty... or at least thats what John Lynch said on the broadcast!
It was a stupid flag.

The whistle hadn't be blown fully as Trae went to take him down. What's he suppose to do in that situation? The player he was tackling was bigger than Trae. Is he supposed to just let him go?

The exact same thing happened to Josh Robinson back in 2014.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I don't know the exact rule but it's basically the suplex rule. You can't pick a guy up off his feet and slam him on his back to the ground. I think had the ref blown his whistle earlier (receiver was in the grasp of tackler with forward progress stopped) the foul wouldn't have been done.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:[

It was a stupid flag.

The whistle hadn't be blown fully as Trae went to take him down. What's he suppose to do in that situation? The player he was tackling was bigger than Trae. Is he supposed to just let him go?

The exact same thing happened to Josh Robinson back in 2014.
\

I agree. Stupid flag, and/or stupid rule. It was all he could do to get the guy down and was not excessive in any way. It's important to protect against concussions, but that was a poor call IMO.