The German Unicorn

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurplePeople
Waterboy

The German Unicorn

Post by PurplePeople »

It appears the feel good story of Moritz is over. I havent had a chance to watch either game so far with the exception of now with 5 minutes to go vs seattle. I have not seen Mobo come up in the stat line. Is he even getting any playing time so far?

With that said he is most certainly a lock to head to the practice squad to try to develop with those measurables. However im not quite sure how that works, can anyone just claim a player on another teams PS? A little info on him and the practice squad procedures would be much appreciated.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: The German Unicorn

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PurplePeople wrote:It appears the feel good story of Moritz is over. I havent had a chance to watch either game so far with the exception of now with 5 minutes to go vs seattle. I have not seen Mobo come up in the stat line. Is he even getting any playing time so far?

With that said he is most certainly a lock to head to the practice squad to try to develop with those measurables. However im not quite sure how that works, can anyone just claim a player on another teams PS? A little info on him and the practice squad procedures would be much appreciated.
Anyone can claim him but I am not sure why anyone would want to.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

he was in for a few plays in the first game... I didn't see him
in the Seattle game tonight. My guess is at best he gets on the
practice squad.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mobo is very unlikely to get grabbed by anyone. He should make our PS just fine. He's got a long road ahead of him if he's going to make it in the NFL. It's a long shot, but everyone loves the story it seems.

With guys like Thielen playing as polished as he is the gap couldn't be more obvious between our top 5/6 guys and our PS or to be cut players.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Mobo is very unlikely to get grabbed by anyone. He should make our PS just fine. He's got a long road ahead of him if he's going to make it in the NFL. It's a long shot, but everyone loves the story it seems.

With guys like Thielen playing as polished as he is the gap couldn't be more obvious between our top 5/6 guys and our PS or to be cut players.
I think perhaps the question we're asking should be: does he deserve to make the practice squad at all?

As you said, everyone loves the story but I still think drafting him was a cavalier use of a 6th round pick. As you pointed out at the time, he played against very low level competition. He's a real long shot and while it's a fun story and it's cool for him that the Vikings were willing to give him a shot, I still can't help thinking that draft pick could have been used on a player with a much better chance to contribute. Maybe that spot in camp could be used likewise and should one of the 10 practice squad spots really go to a player that's such a big project? It's debatable but if he gets that spot, I sure hope it's because he's earned it over the other players also trying to at least make the PS.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: I think perhaps the question we're asking should be: does he deserve to make the practice squad at all?

As you said, everyone loves the story but I still think drafting him was a cavalier use of a 6th round pick. As you pointed out at the time, he played against very low level competition. He's a real long shot and while it's a fun story and it's cool for him that the Vikings were willing to give him a shot, I still can't help thinking that draft pick could have been used on a player with a much better chance to contribute. Maybe that spot in camp could be used likewise and should one of the 10 practice squad spots really go to a player that's such a big project? It's debatable but if he gets that spot, I sure hope it's because he's earned it over the other players also trying to at least make the PS.
You're right, Jim. I was trying to go easy on the GU fans, I guess. I totally agree with your assessment that we could have used that 6th round pick better; say, an offensive lineman or a QB? We have not invested heavily enough in those positions. Actually, both positions deserve higher than a 6th round pick, but at the VERY least we should have been thinking elsewhere with that pick IMO.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Mothman wrote: I think perhaps the question we're asking should be: does he deserve to make the practice squad at all?

I agree. I would have liked us picking up an Oline guy even with a 6th pick. Maybe one who slipped down the draft because of an injury.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I don't mind using a 6th on a high upside developmental guy. Sure, Moritz is a long shot, but if he's working hard and has a high enough ceiling I'd be inclined to give him a PS spot over a guy like Isaac Freuchte (sp?) who is never going to be more than you #5/6 WR even if he maxes out his potential.

I actually think the conventional wisdom about when to take guys with injury/character risks (4th round) when to take flyers on high production low measurable guys/low production high measurable guys (6th round) makes a good deal of sense.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

This is a late round developmental pick, did you expect him to do much by now?

The Packers have their very own MoBo in the Jeff Janis, this stuff takes time and development.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I don't mind using a 6th on a high upside developmental guy. Sure, Moritz is a long shot, but if he's working hard and has a high enough ceiling I'd be inclined to give him a PS spot over a guy like Isaac Freuchte (sp?) who is never going to be more than you #5/6 WR even if he maxes out his potential.

I actually think the conventional wisdom about when to take guys with injury/character risks (4th round) when to take flyers on high production low measurable guys/low production high measurable guys (6th round) makes a good deal of sense.
He's such a long shot that I'm not convinced he's really a "high upside" player in the first place. He seems much more like the type of player a team could give a shot as a rookie free agent than someone to spend a draft pick to acquire. however, i think Kevin Siefert summed up what's really happening with Boehringer quite accurately:

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post ... ry-is-over
In reality, you'll need but a modest degree of cynicism to understand why German wide receiver Moritz Boehringer was a part of the Minnesota Vikings' rookie minicamp Friday. This is not the rags-to-riches story of a young man toiling deep in the Bavarian Alps. (It isn't even a story at all, if you ask Vikings coach Mike Zimmer. We'll get to that in a bit.)

Boehringer is an impressive athlete who has played what amounts to club football. Of more relevance, though, is that he is the product of a pilot program designed to raise interest in the NFL abroad, according to the coach who coordinated his offseason training. Boehringer's arrival is a mixture of marketing, opportunism and a team willing to use a draft pick that historically provides minimal returns, anyway.
Moritz Boehringer could well play a significant role in NFL history. But it's far more likely to be as a marketing gateway than as a substantial on-field contributor to an actual team. That's not too cynical, is it?
Maybe he'll beat the odds and the Vikes will actually show the years of patience it will likely take to develop him. I'm not rooting against the guy at all but I suspect Siefert had it right back in May.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:This is a late round developmental pick, did you expect him to do much by now?
Of course not.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: He's such a long shot that I'm not convinced he's really a "high upside" player in the first place. He seems much more like the type of player a team could give a shot as a rookie free agent than someone to spend a draft pick to acquire. however, i think Kevin Siefert summed up what's really happening with Boehringer quite accurately:

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post ... ry-is-over
Maybe he'll beat the odds and the Vikes will actually show the years of patience it will likely take to develop him. I'm not rooting against the guy at all but I suspect Siefert had it right back in May.
I'm not sure I fully follow your point, or seiferts. I'm pretty familiar with everything I read there so I just kind of skimmed it. Is the implication that the Vikings were kind of doing the NFL a solid by taking Moritz? I certainly think that's possible, although what that entails behind the scenes is anybodies guess. For example, I feel certain the Rams selected Michael Sam because the NFL didn't want the black eye of looking like the guy was blackballed for being gay. What did the Rams get, if anything from the NFL? I have no idea. Maybe they just took one for the team. Maybe there's a little wink and a nod, we owe you one kind of dynamic.

Anyway, if that's not the insinuation, I think MoBo is just a guy the team took a flyer on because of his ht/wt/spd combo. I do understand your point even his physical upside is limited by how far behind he is, and therefore, he isn't really a high upside player. Its a fair argument.

With regard to international program, I think teams should get an extra PS spot or two which are reserved exclusively for international players so that teams can be developing these guys without sacrificing their competitive edge.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: I'm not sure I fully follow your point, or seiferts. I'm pretty familiar with everything I read there so I just kind of skimmed it. Is the implication that the Vikings were kind of doing the NFL a solid by taking Moritz? I certainly think that's possible, although what that entails behind the scenes is anybodies guess. For example, I feel certain the Rams selected Michael Sam because the NFL didn't want the black eye of looking like the guy was blackballed for being gay. What did the Rams get, if anything from the NFL? I have no idea. Maybe they just took one for the team. Maybe there's a little wink and a nod, we owe you one kind of dynamic.

Anyway, if that's not the insinuation, I think MoBo is just a guy the team took a flyer on because of his ht/wt/spd combo. I do understand your point even his physical upside is limited by how far behind he is, and therefore, he isn't really a high upside player. Its a fair argument.

With regard to international program, I think teams should get an extra PS spot or two which are reserved exclusively for international players so that teams can be developing these guys without sacrificing their competitive edge.
If MoBo was drafted just as a favor to the NFL, Spielman should be fired.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I'm not sure I fully follow your point, or seiferts. I'm pretty familiar with everything I read there so I just kind of skimmed it. Is the implication that the Vikings were kind of doing the NFL a solid by taking Moritz? I certainly think that's possible, although what that entails behind the scenes is anybodies guess. For example, I feel certain the Rams selected Michael Sam because the NFL didn't want the black eye of looking like the guy was blackballed for being gay. What did the Rams get, if anything from the NFL? I have no idea. Maybe they just took one for the team. Maybe there's a little wink and a nod, we owe you one kind of dynamic.
I think that might be the case and Michael Sam also occurred to me as another example. Both picks seem like PR moves and, as you said, what that entails behind the scenes is anybody's guess (maybe the Vikes and Rams really did just take one for the team).

That's an excellent idea.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:If MoBo was drafted just as a favor to the NFL, Spielman should be fired.
If it was a favor to the league, it might not have even been his call. It could have been a Wilf decision.