Can Cordarrelle Patterson save his career with the Vikings?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Can Cordarrelle Patterson save his career with the Vikings?

Post by Mothman »

A new article by Strib writer Matt Vensel:

http://www.startribune.com/patterson-s- ... 390521161/
Cordarrelle Patterson arrived in Mankato three weeks ago with the same old playful smile but also a new determination to show the Vikings and a growing hoard of naysayers that a two-year-long wake-up call had been answered.

But after 90 minutes of the first practice of training camp and while making an impressive catch that showcased his still-significant athletic abilities, he suffered a shoulder injury that sidelined him for a couple of weeks.

Instead of trying to chase down passes from quarterback Teddy Bridgewater and fellow receivers Charles Johnson and Stefon Diggs on the depth chart, Patterson was stuck watching them team up for big play after big play.

“I wanted to come out here and bust my butt every day,” Patterson, a 2013 first-round draft pick, said after Tuesday’s walk-through. “I’m just ready to be out there, and when my time comes I have to make the most of it.”
I hope Patterson gets more opportunities to contribute this year. It's clear that he's worked hard and maintained a good attitude. It would be nice to see that pay off and even nicer to see the Vikes get more explosive plays on offense. I think he could help in that department.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Can Cordarrelle Patterson save his career with the Vikin

Post by Mothman »

On a related note:

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/3 ... 385014044f
Wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson showed off his trademark speed during a 1-on-1 drill against cornerback Mackensie Alexander on Monday as Patterson hauled in a deep pass along the sideline.

Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer said after practice that Patterson, who did not play against Cincinnati last week, could see the field against Seattle.

“I wish he would have been healthy last week and we would have played him a little bit,” Zimmer said. “I think he’ll have a chance to play this week.”

Zimmer said he expects Patterson to build off the strong traits he showed during the offseason and training camp.

“Just doing the right things consistently, and when you have an opportunity to make a play, just like everybody else,” Zimmer said.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I hope he plays at least a half. That injury was killer for a guy that needed to show he belonged in the starting lineup. His opportunities to impress the coaching staff are dwindling. I want to see as much of him as possible the remaining games.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

At the same time he said he doesn't think he's 100% and I'd hate to see him make it worse.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Unfortunately, I think it took him too long to put this effort/improvement together. I know he was always at least a 3 year project but now it's going to be hard to beat Diggs, Johnson, and Treadwell on the depth chart. Diggs and Johnson have chemistry with Teddy and Treadwell is the future. All the guys are young, too, so it's not like he can just wait it out for the old vet to lose his spot.

Maybe we'll see a lot of 4-5 WR sets this year and he'll get more involved? Highly unlikely with our passing attack and AD. :confused:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

TSonn wrote:Unfortunately, I think it took him too long to put this effort/improvement together. I know he was always at least a 3 year project but now it's going to be hard to beat Diggs, Johnson, and Treadwell on the depth chart. Diggs and Johnson have chemistry with Teddy and Treadwell is the future. All the guys are young, too, so it's not like he can just wait it out for the old vet to lose his spot.

Maybe we'll see a lot of 4-5 WR sets this year and he'll get more involved? Highly unlikely with our passing attack and AD. :confused:
I bet the staff can find a way to use 4 good wide receivers :)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

TSonn wrote:Unfortunately, I think it took him too long to put this effort/improvement together. I know he was always at least a 3 year project but now it's going to be hard to beat Diggs, Johnson, and Treadwell on the depth chart. Diggs and Johnson have chemistry with Teddy and Treadwell is the future. All the guys are young, too, so it's not like he can just wait it out for the old vet to lose his spot.

If he's ready to handle more playing time, I think they'd be foolish not to use him. His combination of size, speed and open field running ability arguably make him more dangerous, and a bigger potential matchup problem, than any of the receivers you mentioned. WR isn't a position like QB, where the coaches need to feel locked into a depth chart. They can devise ways to get the talent on the field, whether in 4+ receivers sets or simply by using different personnel packages.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Mothman wrote: If he's ready to handle more playing time, I think they'd be foolish not to use him. His combination of size, speed and open field running ability arguably make him more dangerous, and a bigger potential matchup problem, than any of the receivers you mentioned. WR isn't a position like QB, where the coaches need to feel locked into a depth chart. They can devise ways to get the talent on the field, whether in 4+ receivers sets or simply by using different personnel packages.
I agree. I guess I'm just stuck in my ways of thinking of our Carter, Moss, Reed combo where the same 3 guys were always on the field.
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

I can envision getting the ball to Patterson quickly with Treadwell and Morgan in front of him...
Formerly AADPFan
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

TSonn wrote:I agree. I guess I'm just stuck in my ways of thinking of our Carter, Moss, Reed combo where the same 3 guys were always on the field.
That's understandable. Those were 3 WRs you never wanted to see on the bench!
germannorseman
Backup

Post by germannorseman »

He still has to prove ginseng. He still has to run good,routes and get open. It's encouraging when Zimmer says positive things then we know he's improving. I guess we'll find out.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Patterson has been a big disappointment to me. He has effort issues? For a 1st round pick that is pretty sad. Also, what does that say about the people that drafted him? And moved up to draft him to boot. For a project kid who has motivational issues? It's not an easy position but if he was considered as high as he was he should have already had a decent knowledge of his craft and by this time he should be just coming into his prime and be a major threat to rip defenses to shreds. The only he has proven that he is a decent kick returner. A position that is not as prominent as in the past. Put up or shut up this year for sure.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

CbusVikesFan wrote: Patterson has been a big disappointment to me. He has effort issues? For a 1st round pick that is pretty sad. Also, what does that say about the people that drafted him? And moved up to draft him to boot. For a project kid who has motivational issues? It's not an easy position but if he was considered as high as he was he should have already had a decent knowledge of his craft and by this time he should be just coming into his prime and be a major threat to rip defenses to shreds. The only he has proven that he is a decent kick returner. A position that is not as prominent as in the past. Put up or shut up this year for sure.
To be fair, the effort issue is my emphasis on the situation. I'm not sure I even believe it but it is my mind. Most reports from each off season talk about how he actually has a good work ethic. The only knock on him publicly was when he chose not to work with the secret hall of fame wideout (Irvin) last season. The real issue could simply be that it is taking him a long time to learn how to be a WR and not because he isn't trying his hardest.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

germannorseman wrote:He still has to prove ginseng. He still has to run good,routes and get open. It's encouraging when Zimmer says positive things then we know he's improving. I guess we'll find out.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
That's one of the more interesting auto-corrects.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote: That's one of the more interesting auto-corrects.
Is it supposed to be "himself"? I reread the post like 5 times before I figured it was an autocorrect.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018