QB market is a little nuts.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: QB market is a little nuts.

Post by S197 »

I'd be alright with more interceptions due to being more aggressive. The only way you learn the boundary is by going past it. Hard to judge him on a couple of series but I liked the throw to Thielen and obviously the TD pass. He did hold onto the ball too long on the first snap. I have a feeling they'll let him sling it a little in the center of the field but stay conservative in the redzone.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

I just want to point out that Teddy's bomb went 55 yards (roughly) and it was right where it needed to be. No reason to think he couldn't have made that a 56 yarder or more.

I guess I am starting to question the elite argument at that point. assuming you start on the 25 yard line (the new rule for a touchback) that means Teddy can throw it conservatively to the opponents 20 hitting a receiver in stride on the first play from scrimmage. How often do DBs lament playing against elite arms because they have to line up inside their own 10 on the first play of the game? :confused:

I could see the issue if he could barely manage 40 or something. THAT would be rough, but while his arm may not be "Elite" is well beyond the basic requirements and anything else would be starting to get into severe diminishing returns.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

IrishViking wrote:I just want to point out that Teddy's bomb went 55 yards (roughly) and it was right where it needed to be. No reason to think he couldn't have made that a 56 yarder or more.

I guess I am starting to question the elite argument at that point. assuming you start on the 25 yard line (the new rule for a touchback) that means Teddy can throw it conservatively to the opponents 20 hitting a receiver in stride on the first play from scrimmage. How often do DBs lament playing against elite arms because they have to line up inside their own 10 on the first play of the game? :confused:

I could see the issue if he could barely manage 40 or something. THAT would be rough, but while his arm may not be "Elite" is well beyond the basic requirements and anything else would be starting to get into severe diminishing returns.

Yeah when you think about it arm strength as far as throwing bombs is pretty overrated. I think accuracy is vastly more important but a lack of arm strength can be a bottleneck for offenses if the defense doesn't respect it. Then you take into account throwing off your back foot, or on the run or on a post route across the field on a bootleg and maybe it's not so overrated? I think Teddy has enough arm strength he needs to be more decisive and quick through his progressions.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:I'd be alright with more interceptions due to being more aggressive. The only way you learn the boundary is by going past it. Hard to judge him on a couple of series but I liked the throw to Thielen and obviously the TD pass. He did hold onto the ball too long on the first snap. I have a feeling they'll let him sling it a little in the center of the field but stay conservative in the redzone.
The throw to Thielen is a good example of the kind of throw he needs to be more willing to make. He put good velocity on that pass and even though it was a little high, it was in a good spot for Thielen to go up and get it. The coverage was tonight and the pass was completed anyway.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Maelstrom88 wrote:
Yeah when you think about it arm strength as far as throwing bombs is pretty overrated. I think accuracy is vastly more important but a lack of arm strength can be a bottleneck for offenses if the defense doesn't respect it. Then you take into account throwing off your back foot, or on the run or on a post route across the field on a bootleg and maybe it's not so overrated? I think Teddy has enough arm strength he needs to be more decisive and quick through his progressions.
Exactly. Superior arm strength at the NFL level makes a QB much more dangerous because he doesn't have to set his feet and have perfectly sound mechanics to throw a 50 yard dart on target. It also helps because a pass thrown with more velocity obviously reaches the target more quickly, giving defenders less time to react and cover any ground between them and the receiver.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote: Exactly. Superior arm strength at the NFL level makes a QB much more dangerous because he doesn't have to set his feet and have perfectly sound mechanics to throw a 50 yard dart on target. It also helps because a pass thrown with more velocity obviously reaches the target more quickly, giving defenders less time to react and cover any ground between them and the receiver.

I agree with all of that. I just think that at this point that list is starting to sound like what a child playing in the backyard says his made up persona is capable of "And he is super accurate on the run and can throw while falling down and he can throw it 50 yards on a rope and he is huge and quick and can throw with both hands..." All that stuff would be great... It would also be great it Peterson was faster, stronger, could hurdle higher, block better, throw like a QB, and had a better spin move. At some point it goes from being required skills to a fantasy list that doesn't even come along once in a generation.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:I agree with all of that. I just think that at this point that list is starting to sound like what a child playing in the backyard says his made up persona is capable of "And he is super accurate on the run and can throw while falling down and he can throw it 50 yards on a rope and he is huge and quick and can throw with both hands..." All that stuff would be great... It would also be great it Peterson was faster, stronger, could hurdle higher, block better, throw like a QB, and had a better spin move. At some point it goes from being required skills to a fantasy list that doesn't even come along once in a generation.
A great arm is hardly a fantasy, nor is it a requirement to succeed in the NFL, but it can be highly beneficial. It's not even a once-in-a-generation characteristic. There are several NFL QBs right now with terrific throwing arms.

Maybe I missed something. Is somebody here saying the Vikings need a QB who is "super accurate on the run and can throw while falling down and he can throw it 50 yards on a rope and he is huge and quick and can throw with both hands"?

Sorry, I'm just confused.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

A negative has been mentioned, so positives must be reinforced. :confused:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

http://www.scout.com/nfl/vikings/story/ ... ivers-more
The Vikings were on their own 18-yard line facing a third-and-7. Bridgewater lined up in the shotgun, received the snap and then waited for the different routes to develop. He then rifled the ball down the middle of the field to Adam Thielen, threading it between two defenders, for a 22-yard gain and a new set of downs.

“I don’t know if Teddy makes that throw a year ago,” head coach Mike Zimmer said. “He throws it into tight coverage, a tight window, and we pick up the third-down (conversion), the first down.”

Bridgewater reiterated that it was a pass that he probably wouldn’t have thrown last year or his rookie season, but his trust in his receivers continues to grow as he continues to get more reps with them.

“That’s definitely something that I told Adam also. I said, ‘Man, that’s probably a pass I wouldn’t have thrown a year ago, two years ago,’” Bridgewater explained. “But it’s just having confidence and being comfortable. Trusting that those guys are going to go out there and make those plays for you. I threw the ball, Adam did all the work. Going up and making the catch across the middle on a big third down, and that’s what we expect from those guys.”
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: A great arm is hardly a fantasy, nor is it a requirement to succeed in the NFL, but it can be highly beneficial. It's not even a once-in-a-generation characteristic. There are several NFL QBs right now with terrific throwing arms.

Maybe I missed something. Is somebody here saying the Vikings need a QB who is "super accurate on the run and can throw while falling down and he can throw it 50 yards on a rope and he is huge and quick and can throw with both hands"?

Sorry, I'm just confused.
Not to speak for him, but I think what he's saying is that Teddy already does so many things well that asking for much more starts to ask for "once in a generation" type talent.

At least, that's how I read it.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I wonder how much of that has to do with the receivers he came in with? The WRs that made the team that year were Jarius Wright, Adam Thielen, Cordarrelle Patterson, Charles Johnson, and Greg Jennings.

Patterson was good but probably didn't inspire confidence to throw to on more complicated routes. Jennings was basically done. Thielen was an undrafted rookie. Wright is struggling to find a spot this year. Johnson was the best WR on the team that season which I think says a lot.

Either way, it's good to hear/see Teddy getting more comfortable with those throws.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:I wonder how much of that has to do with the receivers he came in with? The WRs that made the team that year were Jarius Wright, Adam Thielen, Cordarrelle Patterson, Charles Johnson, and Greg Jennings.

Patterson was good but probably didn't inspire confidence to throw to on more complicated routes. Jennings was basically done. Thielen was an undrafted rookie. Wright is struggling to find a spot this year. Johnson was the best WR on the team that season which I think says a lot.

Either way, it's good to hear/see Teddy getting more comfortable with those throws.
I think it's just something that takes time and a certain willingness to make mistakes (from all of the players involved, not just the QB). As you said, it's good to hear that he's getting more comfortable making those throws. I hope that carries into the season because I really feel it's a crucial step in his development. I think it's a big part of what Zimmer and Spielman have been talking about when they've said they want Bridgewater to "let it loose".
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: I think it's just something that takes time and a certain willingness to make mistakes (from all of the players involved, not just the QB). As you said, it's good to hear that he's getting more comfortable making those throws. I hope that carries into the season because I really feel it's a crucial step in his development. I think it's a big part of what Zimmer and Spielman have been talking about when they've said they want Bridgewater to "let it loose".
I think so too. Hopefully we're not hoping that he "reels it back in" by mid-season lol
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:I think so too. Hopefully we're not hoping that he "reels it back in" by mid-season lol
:lol: That's possible too.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Some part of me hopes that Teddy's stats (and, I guess, all of our players stats) stay in the middle of the league pack, so that we can retain them that much easier... While winning a superbowl, of course. I sometimes wonder whether that's a part of Zimmer's idea of rotating players, especially on the defensive line: that way, they stay fresh, split the sack totals, and we don't end up needing to resign Danielle Hunter for $20 million per year.