Who will win the starting Left DE spot?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Brian Robison
50%
Danielle Hunter
50%
Someone Else?
No votes

Total votes: 32

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Robison will probably start but could quickly lose his job
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Who will win the starting Left DE spot?

Post by jackal »

Hunter has the most upside for sure.....
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Be okay with either, but Hunter might get it at some point this season.
This space available for rent.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Zimmer/Turner have shown they wait on putting new guys in until they are 100% satisfied they are ready to start. I think its Robison job to loose, but i think theres going to be a lot of substitutions as well.
SP1966
Franchise Player

Post by SP1966 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Zimmer/Turner have shown they wait on putting new guys in until they are 100% satisfied they are ready to start. I think its Robison job to loose, but i think theres going to be a lot of substitutions as well.
If Robison plays to loose with the job he'll lose it for sure.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I think starting is almost an irrelevant term here. That's probably not the best word, but I'd prefer Robinson to "start" and be in there for running downs until Hunter gets the handle of playing as an all four downs DE. Bring him in on passing downs. Of course, they both are in in that special package Zimmer seems to be preparing. I'm not worried about this. He has the makings of a great pass rusher and I think that's why he's becoming a fan favorite, but there are other aspects to the game and skills to develop before he's starting and by that, I mean playing all 4 downs. I'm fine with how it is until Hunter is fully ready to take over full-time from Robison.
GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by GoldenBear91 »

PacificNorseWest wrote:I think starting is almost an irrelevant term here. That's probably not the best word, but I'd prefer Robinson to "start" and be in there for running downs until Hunter gets the handle of playing as an all four downs DE. Bring him in on passing downs. Of course, they both are in in that special package Zimmer seems to be preparing. I'm not worried about this. He has the makings of a great pass rusher and I think that's why he's becoming a fan favorite, but there are other aspects to the game and skills to develop before he's starting and by that, I mean playing all 4 downs. I'm fine with how it is until Hunter is fully ready to take over full-time from Robison.
Good point. It's really about percentage of snaps played and who coaches prefer for 2nd down and 2 vs. 3rd and 12.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Jim mentioned Zach Line is the Rodney Dangerfield of the offense in another thread. I feel Robison is the Rodney Dangerfield of the defense. He's not amazing but he's a solid contributor that also has the flexibility to move inside to tackle on passing downs. He had some really key strip sacks last year but seems to get very little respect.

I think a lot of this has to do with stats as he's often disruptive but may not always get the sack. A good example of this is when Everson ran down Wilson for a sack. It was an amazing play by Griffen but if you watch the play, it's the bull rush by Robison that causes Wilson to retreat from the pocket and turn towards the sideline.

I like Hunter, he's likely the heir apparent, but I wouldn't write off Robison so easily.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:Jim mentioned Zach Line is the Rodney Dangerfield of the offense in another thread. I feel Robison is the Rodney Dangerfield of the defense. He's not amazing but he's a solid contributor that also has the flexibility to move inside to tackle on passing downs. He had some really key strip sacks last year but seems to get very little respect.

I think a lot of this has to do with stats as he's often disruptive but may not always get the sack. A good example of this is when Everson ran down Wilson for a sack. It was an amazing play by Griffen but if you watch the play, it's the bull rush by Robison that causes Wilson to retreat from the pocket and turn towards the sideline.

I like Hunter, he's likely the heir apparent, but I wouldn't write off Robison so easily.
Well said. I agree with you. Robison doesn't get the respect he deserves as a DE.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I think Robison will be the starter. But I think it is going to be more about keeping a fresh rusher in there.
Both are going to see a lot of playing time.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I put Hunter. I think Hunter has a very high ceiling, that does not mean that I think that Robison will not contribute. One thing that I think that is awesome about Zimmers defense is the rotation he uses. I believe the rotation will include Hunter Robison Griffen Johnson Joseph Floyd Stephen? Trattaou? Weatherly? Ellis? Chrichton? Will be the deepest and one of the best in the league. The only d line that I think will be better is possibly the Rams, even though I dont think they have nearly the depth that we have.

CAN'T FRICKEN WAIT FOR THE SEASON!!!!!!!!!

:ripple: :smilevike: :smilevike: :smilevike: :smilevike: :v): :v): :v): :v): :v): :v): :banana: :banana: :banana:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I have always liked and respected Brain throughout his ten year career here. It just seems to me that he is slowing down with age. He isn't the same dominate force against the run like he once was. We all knew Brian would never be a double-digit sack guy, but it is disappointing to see him struggle against the run and struggle to hold contain.

I hope Danielle progresses a lot this year because I feel this is Brain's last season here.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I have always liked and respected Brain throughout his ten year career here. It just seems to me that he is slowing down with age. He isn't the same dominate force against the run like he once was. We all knew Brian would never be a double-digit sack guy, but it is disappointing to see him struggle against the run and struggle to hold contain.

I hope Danielle progresses a lot this year because I feel this is Brain's last season here.
I am pretty much in agreement .. I could see three or more of our veterans gone next season. Greenway has already said, "he is one and done."
Robinson contract is up after this season. Peterson who knows?? He is very very expensive but I could see him staying another season, if he fits
into the passing game well. Sullivan will likely depend on health.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

jackal wrote: I am pretty much in agreement .. I could see three or more of our veterans gone next season. Greenway has already said, "he is one and done."
Robinson contract is up after this season. Peterson who knows?? He is very very expensive but I could see him staying another season, if he fits
into the passing game well. Sullivan will likely depend on health.
Agree.... I know that this is really really early but I can see us drafting with the 32nd pick in the first round next year a center. (see what I did there?)
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

I am pretty much in agreement .. I could see three or more of our veterans gone next season. Greenway has already said, "he is one and done."
into the passing game well. Sullivan will likely depend on health.[/quote]

Agree.... I know that this is really really early but I can see us drafting with the 32nd pick in the first round next year a center. (see what I did there?)[/quote]

I like what you did there.......... :pour: