2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: You keep stating you realize stats are contextual, but as you employ them, thats very unclear. :confused:

Suffice it to say, this is precisely why I would be slightly conflicted about signing Foles. I really can't think of anything more irritating than a bombardment of posts telling us to "look at the stats", and that Foles should be starting...except perhaps watching Shaun Hill start half the season...
Please explain what I have said to remotely imply that I don't regard stats as contextual, im utterly enthralled.

Not ignoring every single bit of stats in favor of a load of opinion based nonsense is not failing to realize stats are contextual.

Yea, but what if people had a point about Foles? Im not saying he is or isn't better then Teddy, but where do you think he stacks up in regard to him vs Teddy, and why do you feel that way?
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Foles was dreadful in St. Louis. I like his attributes and he's younger so I would take him over Hill any day but to compare him and Teddy is pretty pointless right now. Teddy is the guy, the team is behind him and the organization is behind him. Foles would simply be a backup. Simple as that.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Foles was dreadful in St. Louis. I like his attributes and he's younger so I would take him over Hill any day but to compare him and Teddy is pretty pointless right now. Teddy is the guy, the team is behind him and the organization is behind him. Foles would simply be a backup. Simple as that.
Im not saying Foles should be looked at as competition to Teddy or anything, but no, it wouldn't be 'as simple as that. Compare their career production.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

With us wanting to take the next step tell me that Shaun Hill is the answer in the backup quarterback role.
So far I haven't heard one good thing mentioned about him in training camp.
Zim & Rick going to roll the dice Teddy stays healthy??
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

halfgiz wrote:With us wanting to take the next step tell me that Shaun Hill is the answer in the backup quarterback role.
So far I haven't heard one good thing mentioned about him in training camp.
Zim & Rick going to roll the dice Teddy stays healthy??

It sure looks that way. :(
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think the Vikings wanted the one that got hurt to push for the job IMO...

I don't think Stave is anywhere close to challenging for the starter role
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

49ers probably have the worst collection of quarterbacks in NFL history.

Hyperbole, of course, but they are all guys that I can't stand. Funny enough, of the three, I prefer Ponder. :lol:
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

The Vikings on Saturday announced the signing of free agent quarterback Brad Sorensen and the release of running back Kevin Monangai.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

halfgiz wrote:The Vikings on Saturday announced the signing of free agent quarterback Brad Sorensen and the release of running back Kevin Monangai.
Thanks for the info.

Here's a PP report on the move:

http://www.twincities.com/2016/08/20/vi ... arterback/
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Mothman wrote: Thanks for the info.

Here's a PP report on the move:

http://www.twincities.com/2016/08/20/vi ... arterback/
Thanks Jim!
Probably should have had him in the beginning of camp. But at least now we have a fresh arm.
Now he has a week to get use to our recievers.
Last edited by halfgiz on Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

halfgiz wrote: Thanks Jim!
Probably should have had him in the beginning of camp. Now he has a week to get use to our recievers.
Probably just want to pass some reps off on him. If Teddy has a sore shoulder and Methuselah is 206 years old, they need another camp arm. Some guy named Sorenson seems like a good match for the Vikings.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

fiestavike wrote:
Probably just want to pass some reps off on him. If Teddy has a sore shoulder and Methuselah is 206 years old, they need another camp arm. Some guy named Sorenson seems like a good match for the Vikings.
He could very well be an upgrade over Stave.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

halfgiz wrote: He could very well be an upgrade over Stave.
could be, I think Stave was nothing but a camp arm too! :lol:

Heineken kind of screwed up the plan me thinks. I expect them to go in with 2 QBs and Heinecke retained via injury roster exemption and brought back once he's recovered. By then they'll probably have a roster spot available through injury to somebody else anyway.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

The Vikings refuse to really address the backup QB spot(s). Hill is horrible. On some of those throws he had 5 times the amount of time Teddy usually has per attempt, and he still only had a QB rating of 80ish. I'd seriously rather see Stave or Heinike play then Hill. But all 3 are really bad/inexperienced, and I dont think we can win a game with any of them. Why do they keep getting pure trash, instead of forking up some money for a real backup, and then a promising young 3rd string QB? We have been burned by it, as have so many teams, like the Cowboys last year, you would think they could get something better. They aernt afraid to waste money on other players/positions. Oh, and Locke sucks!