2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by jackal »

Yeah I am thrilled we are doing something about our OL.
There are a lot of quality OG and C in this draft too.

I am hoping we pick up at least one OG and C in the
draft and have a quality OLine for a change.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Man thats a ton of money tied up in a not so good Oline.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Man thats a ton of money tied up in a not so good Oline.
Yep... That's why I've been such a big advocate for change. This is a pretty good start so far.

With Wallace gone, Kalil gone next year, and then Peterson gone the year after that we don't really have to worry about money too much, spend some fixing the line, get rid of what doesn't stick. Lot of 1 year deals so no long term commitment to do it either.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

mondry wrote: Yep... That's why I've been such a big advocate for change. This is a pretty good start so far.

With Wallace gone, Kalil gone next year, and then Peterson gone the year after that we don't really have to worry about money too much, spend some fixing the line, get rid of what doesn't stick. Lot of 1 year deals so no long term commitment to do it either.
I believe they could cut Peterson with little cap ramification after this year, so he may be gone too unless he restructures. I don't see any way he plays for the Vikings in 2017 under his current contract.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

mondry wrote: Yep... That's why I've been such a big advocate for change. This is a pretty good start so far.

Given the number of linemen it may be a change from the "build through the draft" strategy the Vikings have employed in the past but it seems like they prefer guys who can hit the ground running and let the best man win.

I have a feeling we'll only see lineman taken later in the draft this year unless there's an unexpected fall by someone. The guys on the roster fight for starting jobs and the rookies and 2nd year type get groomed to take over. I think this is the fastest way to overhaul the line. Is it the best way? Debatable but by the amount of money they're investing, it seems to be a priority.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

S197 wrote: Given the number of linemen it may be a change from the "build through the draft" strategy the Vikings have employed in the past but it seems like they prefer guys who can hit the ground running and let the best man win.

I have a feeling we'll only see lineman taken later in the draft this year unless there's an unexpected fall by someone. The guys on the roster fight for starting jobs and the rookies and 2nd year type get groomed to take over. I think this is the fastest way to overhaul the line. Is it the best way? Debatable but by the amount of money they're investing, it seems to be a priority.
Or it's a stopgap measure until the Vikings really can get maximum results out of their young linemen, including whoever they take in the upcoming draft. I'm not big on stopgap players, though they sometimes help transitional periods for a team.

I'm still hoping the Vikings will take an OL player early, maybe even R1. Yeah, it's a crap shoot but so is most everything else in the draft.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

losperros wrote: Or it's a stopgap measure until the Vikings really can get maximum results out of their young linemen, including whoever they take in the upcoming draft. I'm not big on stopgap players, though they sometimes help transitional periods for a team.

I'm still hoping the Vikings will take an OL player early, maybe even R1. Yeah, it's a crap shoot but so is most everything else in the draft.
http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/minnesota-vikings

The numbers on the oline don't preclude them from drafting oline if they want to. The Vikes could cut every olinemen aside from Kalil, Boone, Loadholt and Smith post June 1st and only take on a little over 2 million in dead money while saving over 14 million. Obviously that's not going to happen, it just shows that they have plenty of room to maneuver if they get a chance to draft the right guy(s).
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Interesting comments on a 29-year-old vet from Zimmer:
Zimmer on Andre Smith: “A terrific athlete. He’s got a chance to be a really good player & I think he’s still got a lot of room to develop."
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mike Zimmer to PFT on what he likes about Alex Boone: “One of the things was his toughness, the physicality.''
More Mike Zimmer to PFT on Alex Boone: “I like his demeanor and I’m hoping it’s something that rubs off on the rest of our offensive line.’’
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I live very close to SF and have been to a lot of preseason and regular games...

Boone is a throw back player... he want's to dominate ... not take plays off

I am hoping our OL improves greatly and we have a shot to win, a ring
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

There are still a few FA's out there that could help us.
Nelson is still out there, I would much rather have him than Sendejo. I think Sendejo will be the weak link.

Boldin also is still out there. He is on the downhill side but he can catch the ball if you get anywhere close to him.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

halfgiz wrote:There are still a few FA's out there that could help us.
Nelson is still out there, I would much rather have him than Sendejo. I think Sendejo will be the weak link.

Boldin also is still out there. He is on the downhill side but he can catch the ball if you get anywhere close to him.
Anquan Boldin would be player I would be on board with us signing. I know Spielman wanted Boldin a few years ago.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

No thanks on boldlin, he'll be 36 by season start, rather just give the reps to patterson.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Yea, I think you guys shouldn't use a roster spot on Boldin, and try to build up your WR through the draft and with what you have.

This may be off, but it seems like you guys bring in more WR's through FA and tradses then most other teams.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Jordysghost wrote:Yea, I think you guys shouldn't use a roster spot on Boldin, and try to build up your WR through the draft and with what you have.

This may be off, but it seems like you guys bring in more WR's through FA and tradses then most other teams.
And it almost never works, overpaid Berrian, overpaid jennings, overpaid wallace, etc etc.