View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 701 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 2016 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc) 
Defensive Tackle

Post Re: 2016 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes,
Those 2003 Vikings? They have some advice for this year’s team

Quote:
The Vikings’ 2003 season began with high hopes. It ended with players throwing their helmets across the locker room.

That team started 6-0 before falling apart and finishing 9-7. It all came crashing down when they were stunned, 18-17, at Arizona on the final play of the season — a touchdown pass to the corner of the end zone on fourth-and-24 that knocked the Vikings out of the playoffs.

To make matters worse, it was archrival Green Bay winning the NFC North. Minnesota had needed a win or a Packers loss to make the playoffs, but they beat Denver 31-3.

“It was shocking,” said David Dixon, then a Minnesota guard. “Guys were throwing their helmets in the locker room and they were yelling. People were just venting.”

More at the link.

Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:48 am
Defensive Tackle

Quote:
Matt Vensel ‏@mattvensel 2h2 hours ago
Zimmer on the areas where Anthony Barr could be better: "All."

Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:25 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote:
Quote:

I am really disappointed in Barr this year. Idk if he is hurt or something but he looked like an absolute beast last year and eveb early this year, but has neen non existant lately.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:25 am
Profile YIM WWW
Packers Suck

Mothman wrote:
Quote:

My word, Zimmer just has no issue humiliating his own players on an individual basis in the media.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:34 am
Defensive Tackle

Jordysghost wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Quote:

My word, Zimmer just has no issue humiliating his own players on an individual basis in the media.

It may blow up in his face (or perhaps that's what happened on Sunday). I've seen coaches go overboard with that tactic in the past and it doesn't tend to end well.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:58 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

Jordysghost wrote:

I dont really consider that "humiliating". He said he needs to improve in all areas. I'm sure he would say that about 98% of guys on this team. Thats just his mentality

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:11 pm
Packers Suck

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Jordysghost wrote:

I dont really consider that "humiliating". He said he needs to improve in all areas. I'm sure he would say that about 98% of guys on this team. Thats just his mentality

Most coaches push constant improvement and hold players accountable, few do so as brashly and foward as Zimmer.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:22 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Jordysghost wrote:
Jordysghost wrote:

Most coaches push constant improvement and hold players accountable, few do so as brashly and foward as Zimmer.

That's his old school mentality. I like it. I'd rather have that then for it to be sugar coated if I was a player. It pushes me to work harder because you dont want that stuff being said about you.

Side note: This might have been brought up already but I just noticed what it says under your username every time you post. I know it changes based on how many posts you have but you are currently at the "Packers suck" stage :lol: :lol:

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:18 pm
Defensive Tackle

Side note: This might have been brought up already but I just noticed what it says under your username every time you post. I know it changes based on how many posts you have but you are currently at the "Packers suck" stage :lol: :lol:

:lol: I didn't notice that.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:35 pm
Packers Suck

Jordysghost wrote:

Most coaches push constant improvement and hold players accountable, few do so as brashly and foward as Zimmer.[/quote]

That's his old school mentality. I like it. I'd rather have that then for it to be sugar coated if I was a player. It pushes me to work harder because you dont want that stuff being said about you.

Side note: This might have been brought up already but I just noticed what it says under your username every time you post. I know it changes based on how many posts you have but you are currently at the "Packers suck" stage :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Old school and putting someone on blast publicly on an often basis aren't the same thing.

Oh jee, thats new. Merry Christmas!

Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:05 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Jordysghost wrote:

Old school and putting someone on blast publicly on an often basis aren't the same thing.

He didnt put Barr "on blast" often. He's answered how many questions on Barr this year and he's been saying he's doing the right things, just not making the splashy plays. The guy asked him: what areas does Barr need to improve in and he says "all". He didnt bad mouth the guy or rip into him. It was a one word answer. That's not putting somebody "on blast"

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:26 pm
Packers Suck

Jordysghost wrote:

He didnt put Barr "on blast" often. He's answered how many questions on Barr this year and he's been saying he's doing the right things, just not making the splashy plays. The guy asked him: what areas does Barr need to improve in and he says "all". He didnt bad mouth the guy or rip into him. It was a one word answer. That's not putting somebody "on blast"

I wasnt referring specifically just to Barr, and Barr previously having been worthy of praise should justify his coach showing him some respect and not publicly discrediting him, Zimmer seems to think such tactics are effective at properly motivating players, I dont.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:37 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote:

:lol: I didn't notice that.

This is the coolest thing on the site so far!!

Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:
Quote:

He looks soft out there. He isn't filling his gap, he isn't leading at the point of attack, he is undisciplined in contain. It is complete and utter BS. It honestly looked like he wasn't even trying on Sunday.

Maybe the team was right to have Aaron Donald high their list back in 2014. :(

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:34 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Rapsheet just reported that it WAS Newman after all that instigated this. Something is telling me Newman was a little bitter he wasn't playing as much anymore and maybe wanted to prove a point to Zimmer that he could still cover a guy like Nelson.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:00 am
Hall of Famer

Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:30 pm
Defensive Tackle

Minnesota Vikings sign 9 players to Reserve/Futures contracts

Quote:
It doesn’t get much lighter than Reserve/Futures contracts, of which the Minnesota Vikings have officially announced the signing of 9 players to the team:

Mortiz Bohringer, wide receiver
Cayleb Jones, wide receiver
Bishop Sankey, running back
Kyle Carter, tight end
Marquis Lucas, tackle
Austin Shepherd, tackle
Sterling Bailey, defensive tackle
Tre Roberson, corner back
Cedric Thompson, safety

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:18 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
Minnesota Vikings sign 9 players to Reserve/Futures contracts

Quote:
It doesn’t get much lighter than Reserve/Futures contracts, of which the Minnesota Vikings have officially announced the signing of 9 players to the team:

Mortiz Bohringer, wide receiver
Cayleb Jones, wide receiver
Bishop Sankey, running back
Kyle Carter, tight end
Marquis Lucas, tackle
Austin Shepherd, tackle
Sterling Bailey, defensive tackle
Tre Roberson, corner back
Cedric Thompson, safety

Sankey was pretty highly regarded at one point, so that's interesting. I'm guessing the Vikings plan at OT next year will involve Kalil and A. Smith as Plan A, Rashod Hill and Jeremiah Sirles as plan B, and TJ Clemmings and some futures contracts and undrafted rookies as plan C. If they'd skip Plan A all together and add the best FA OT they can get to the equation, along with the best RG they can get in FA they might be respectable. In any case, I don't think they'll draft an OL early. I think they have a draft policy to avoid OL until Round 3/4.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:20 am
Defensive Tackle

fiestavike wrote:
Sankey was pretty highly regarded at one point, so that's interesting. I'm guessing the Vikings plan at OT next year will involve Kalil and A. Smith as Plan A, Rashod Hill and Jeremiah Sirles as plan B, and TJ Clemmings and some futures contracts and undrafted rookies as plan C. If they'd skip Plan A all together and add the best FA OT they can get to the equation, along with the best RG they can get in FA they might be respectable. In any case, I don't think they'll draft an OL early. I think they have a draft policy to avoid OL until Round 3/4.

They certainly seem reluctant to draft o-linemen before Day 3 but so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they waited until at least round 3 (or day 3) to draft one this year. It's especially easy to imagine them parting ways with Floyd and drafting a DT in R2.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:50 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

Mothman wrote:
fiestavike wrote:

They certainly seem reluctant to draft o-linemen before Day 3 but so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they waited until at least round 3 (or day 3) to draft one this year. It's especially easy to imagine them parting ways with Floyd and drafting a DT in R2.

I wouldn't think so. We still have Shamar Stephen and Tom Johnson that can easily fill that spot. And Floyd is still under contract. I see no need for it right now

Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:08 am
Defensive Tackle

Mothman wrote:
fiestavike wrote:

I wouldn't think so. We still have Shamar Stephen and Tom Johnson that can easily fill that spot. And Floyd is still under contract. I see no need for it right now

They're both situational players who provide minimal pass rush or push inside. Neither is under contract beyond 2017 and Johnson is 32. I don't think either projects as a long term starter either. If they move on from Floyd, it's not hard at all to imagine them choosing to draft a DT early, especially because they've tended to emphasize defense since Zimmer arrived.

I'm not saying it's what they should do. I'm saying it wouldn't surprise me.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:37 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

Mothman wrote:

They're both situational players who provide minimal pass rush or push inside. Neither is under contract beyond 2017 and Johnson is 32. I don't think either projects as a long term starter either. If they move on from Floyd, it's not hard at all to imagine them choosing to draft a DT early, especially because they've tended to emphasize defense since Zimmer arrived.

I would say Johnson provides a little more than "minimal pass rush". I think Stephen could be a long term starter. I wouldn't say he hurt us this year.

And just like I previously said, I think Zimmer is well aware of what the problems were this year. I have a feeling he won't be so focused on defense this year. He's spent the last 3 years filling the gaping holes that were left there by Leslie Frazier

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:45 am
Defensive Tackle

Mothman wrote:

I would say Johnson provides a little more than "minimal pass rush". I think Stephen could be a long term starter. I wouldn't say he hurt us this year.

And just like I previously said, I think Zimmer is well aware of what the problems were this year. I have a feeling he won't be so focused on defense this year. He's spent the last 3 years filling the gaping holes that were left there by Leslie Frazier

:rofl:

I think you meant Rick Spielman. You know, the GM who had been officially in charge of the roster for 2 years at that point and conducting the team's drafts for 7 years? That guy.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:58 am
Fenrir

Mothman wrote:
fiestavike wrote:

They are a bit thin at DT with Johnson being the only quality depth guy so certainly not improbable. I do think (hope?) they still go tackle in round 2 or 3 at the very latest. Both Kalil & Loadholt were 1st & 2nd round picks so I don't know that there's reluctance to draft early, especially tackles. Interior lineman there's definitely been precedent of waiting until latter rounds.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:26 pm
Defensive Tackle

S197 wrote:
They are a bit thin at DT with Johnson being the only quality depth guy so certainly not improbable. I do think (hope?) they still go tackle in round 2 or 3 at the very latest. Both Kalil & Loadholt were 1st & 2nd round picks so I don't know that there's reluctance to draft early, especially tackles. Interior lineman there's definitely been precedent of waiting until latter rounds.

Good point. Spielman has been willing to draft a tackle in the early rounds in the past.

Depending on what happens with Newman and Munnerlyn, I could see even see them drafting a CB as early as R2.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:43 pm
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote:

I'm with you PHP. He wasnt trying to humiliate Barr. Barr had a slow year, a lot of thing he could have done better. Zimmer was asked a direct question and gave a direct answer. I saw all year Barr looked slow and even looked like he took off plays. But then I also hope zimmer tones a few things down, like his non stop cussing.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:52 pm
Hall of Famer

With Shamar Stephen and Johnson playing as well as they did, we wonnt even miss Floyd. Mainly cause he never played. I think those 2 can do fine, get rid of Floyd, and find a replacement fairly easy, if need be.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:03 pm
Defensive Tackle

Congratulations to Cordarrelle Patterson:

Cordarrelle Patterson named All-Pro kick returner for second time in career

Quote:
Patterson, who led the league averaging 31.7 yards per kick return, has been named the first-team All-Pro kick returner by the Associated Press for the 2016 season.

It’s Patterson’s second such honor, also being named the league’s top returner as a rookie in 2013. This season, Patterson became the only player in league history to lead the league in kickoff return average for three different seasons.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:13 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote:
Congratulations to Cordarrelle Patterson:

Cordarrelle Patterson named All-Pro kick returner for second time in career

Quote:
Patterson, who led the league averaging 31.7 yards per kick return, has been named the first-team All-Pro kick returner by the Associated Press for the 2016 season.

It’s Patterson’s second such honor, also being named the league’s top returner as a rookie in 2013. This season, Patterson became the only player in league history to lead the league in kickoff return average for three different seasons.

He was a bright spot. I was happy to see him succeed. I still would have liked to see him utilized more in the offense, but at least we can see what he is capable of. He looks a lot bigger and stronger now.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:

Even if they Keep Floyd, they have to acknowledge that he is not only injury prone but shockingly inconsistent. Just when he starts to look elite he'll start spinning himself out of position against the run, creating gaping holes or have an inexplicably slow motor performance. I don't think he can be counted on as anything other than high upside depth at this juncture. Shamar Stephen is fundamentally sound enough to be considered the starting DT for next season, and I think that does indicate there is a need at the position.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 701 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next