View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 701 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 2016 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc) 
Fenrir

Post 2016 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc)
Creating 2016 version and removing sticky from 2015.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:52 pm
Commissioner

Post Re: 2016 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes,
Via Tom Pelissero on Sully:

Quote:
Everything I hear is he's doing great. Running, lifting, doing position drills. No setbacks since second surgery.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:43 am
Commissioner

#As expected, no comp picks for #Vikings in 2016

Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:00 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

dead_poet wrote:
Via Tom Pelissero on Sully:

Quote:
Everything I hear is he's doing great. Running, lifting, doing position drills. No setbacks since second surgery.

It will be interesting to see if and how high they draft a center. I hope Sully can make a full recovery, but I'm not holding my breath.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:02 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

They traded for that kid from ND to play Center. So they have Sullivan, Berger, and I think the Kid's name is Easton. If they added someone else, that would be 4 centers on the roster. I think that is unlikely to occur.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:59 pm
Defensive Tackle

mansquatch wrote:
They traded for that kid from ND to play Center. So they have Sullivan, Berger, and I think the Kid's name is Easton. If they added someone else, that would be 4 centers on the roster. I think that is unlikely to occur.

Keep in mind, Berger can play anywhere along the interior of the line, not just at center. Easton played some guard in college so perhaps the Vikes think he has positional versatility too.

It's always possible the Vikes would cut one of the players above to make room for another center too.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:04 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

If they cut Easton it would be silly. Why trade Hodges for him only to cut him before his first training camp with the team? That would make the trade last year look like a total farce.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:30 pm
Defensive Tackle

mansquatch wrote:
If they cut Easton it would be silly. Why trade Hodges for him only to cut him before his first training camp with the team? That would make the trade last year look like a total farce.

I didn't say Easton was necessarily the player who would get cut. Maybe it would be Sullivan or Berger. However, even if they did cut him, preventing a trade from looking like a "total farce" isn't a good enough reason to keep a player. IF, at some point, they decide Easton isn't worth keeping, the trade should have nothing to do with whether he stays or goes.

Anyway, the point is there's no reason they couldn't draft a center.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:42 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

I misspoke. What I meant was if they cut him before his first full season even starts the trade WILL look like a farce, or to be more accurate, a debacle.

I think the guy most likely to get cut is Sullivan, but that is only if there is some injury detail we do not know. I the likely outcome at this position is that these three stay entrenched.

I do agree that it is probably time to look for LT depth... Or sign some.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:06 pm
Defensive Tackle

mansquatch wrote:
I misspoke. What I meant was if they cut him before his first full season even starts the trade WILL look like a farce, or to be more accurate, a debacle.

I still don't think it would be a big deal but I didn't think Hodges was all that good in the first place so perhaps I perceive the trade itself differently? Admittedly, it wouldn't look great to cut Easton before he's had a chance to play but the trade was for a 6th round pick and Easton.

Quote:
I think the guy most likely to get cut is Sullivan, but that is only if there is some injury detail we do not know. I the likely outcome at this position is that these three stay entrenched.

Maybe but I didn't think we were talking about most likely outcomes, just possibilities, and considering Berger's age, Sullivan's question marks and Easton not exactly being an established player, drafting a center hardly seems outside the realm of reasonable possibility IF there's a player they really like available (especially if that player can also play guard).

Quote:
I do agree that it is probably time to look for LT depth... Or sign some.

Definitely, with an eye toward a tackle who might be able to play on the right side if Kalil works out and they end up parting ways with Loadholt after 2016.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:20 pm
Commissioner

Mothman wrote:
mansquatch wrote:

I didn't say Easton was necessarily the player who would get cut. Maybe it would be Sullivan or Berger. However, even if they did cut him, preventing a trade from looking like a "total farce" isn't a good enough reason to keep a player. IF, at some point, they decide Easton isn't worth keeping, the trade should have nothing to do with whether he stays or goes.

Anyway, the point is there's no reason they couldn't draft a center.

Exactly. If much rather sign, say, Jeff Allen than rely on a UDFA like Easton to grow into the role when his ceiling might be backup.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:11 am
Strong Safety

I asked the Vikings PR guy about Easton/Hodges trade.

He said the trade was for the pick and Easton was a thrown
in they were going to cut to get to 53 anyways

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:08 pm
Defensive Tackle

jackal wrote:
I asked the Vikings PR guy about Easton/Hodges trade.

He said the trade was for the pick and Easton was a thrown
in they were going to cut to get to 53 anyways

That makes sense, especially considering Spielman's inclination to collect picks.

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:12 pm
Strong Safety

That makes sense, especially considering Spielman's inclination to collect picks.

that came from the Vikings webcast guy directly. I asked him why we traded for Easton
and Circles and neither were used.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:19 pm
Commissioner

Vikings’ Brandon Fusco hopes to move back to right guard

http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/16/vi ... ght-guard/

Quote:
“That’s fine with me,” Fusco said Wednesday. ““That’s where I’m most comfortable. I’m willing to go back to the right and get back to where I was playing. I’ll do whatever they tell me to do, but hopefully right guard is the thing I’ll be doing, and I’m looking forward to it.”

Quote:
I was so used to playing right guard for so many years and then just coming off the injury, I wasn’t at full strength most of the season,” Fusco said. “With all the little things that go into it, everything was backward (with the change). I felt like I struggled for the most part. … I started getting better toward the end, but I just really never found my comfort level, I guess.”

Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:

Quote:
“That’s fine with me,” Fusco said Wednesday. ““That’s where I’m most comfortable. I’m willing to go back to the right and get back to where I was playing. I’ll do whatever they tell me to do, but hopefully right guard is the thing I’ll be doing, and I’m looking forward to it.”

Quote:
I was so used to playing right guard for so many years and then just coming off the injury, I wasn’t at full strength most of the season,” Fusco said. “With all the little things that go into it, everything was backward (with the change). I felt like I struggled for the most part. … I started getting better toward the end, but I just really never found my comfort level, I guess.”

HardcoreVikesFan hopes Fusco gets cut.

What a waste of 4 million on the cap.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:33 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

HardcoreVikesFan hopes Fusco gets cut.

What a waste of 4 million on the cap.

It seems almost inevitable that someone will be cut who is a waste of X$ on the cap. If they bring in this many players and then just keep the guys with the highest cap number on this years books so that their salary isn't wasted, this approach to solving the OL problem will have been VERY foolish. If they aren't prepared for even the remote possibility that Matt Kalil is out performed, and therefore, willing to cut him, then they are really goofing around, and they may as well cut some of these other players now.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:52 am
Hall of Famer

Yeah, its sounds to me like they are goofing around. Or more likely made a few mistakes in a row. Looking more and more like Zimmer is human.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:24 pm
Career Elite Player

One of these frontrunner RTs will be cut. At least one of Sullivan/Harris/Fusco will be cut. The money is tied up right now, but it's worth it to have the options and pay a small penalty in guaranteed salary (not the full contract number) by opening day.

Kalil's contract is fully guaranteed if I'm not mistaken, so he'll be around. But again, with our current cap situation it is worth it to have some kind of option at LT even if we use our first rounder on one. As a matter of fact, I would much rather overpay for Kalil than be caught with our pants down the way we were after releasing McKinnie. Remember how much everyone hated him until Charlie Johnson had to start? Then all of a sudden, McKinnie was an underperforming player, but still a player we should have kept. I don't want to relive that.

If we're all going to complain about the O-line (which we do, and we should) we can't complain when the team pours a bunch of money into that position to see what options are best. The amount of money we're gambling with (or wasting on players who won't stick around, if you prefer to look at it that way) is a temporary problem to try to bring around a more permanent solution.

I believe if we want to find out if Teddy is the answer and we want Adrian to wreak havoc, it's a necessary evil. Out of all the things we can complain about, being in cap trouble hasn't been one of them in a very long time, and even with the insane amount of money we're using in the O-line right now, we still aren't as tight to the cap as many other teams.

I'm not crazy about all of our options, but as many others have pointed out, competent O-line play is becoming rare in today's NFL. Good players aren't easy to find, and I think the Vikings are giving themselves the best opportunity to improve that they possibly can heading into the draft.

Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:59 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

DK Sweets wrote:
One of these frontrunner RTs will be cut. At least one of Sullivan/Harris/Fusco will be cut. The money is tied up right now, but it's worth it to have the options and pay a small penalty in guaranteed salary (not the full contract number) by opening day.

Kalil's contract is fully guaranteed if I'm not mistaken, so he'll be around. But again, with our current cap situation it is worth it to have some kind of option at LT even if we use our first rounder on one. As a matter of fact, I would much rather overpay for Kalil than be caught with our pants down the way we were after releasing McKinnie. Remember how much everyone hated him until Charlie Johnson had to start? Then all of a sudden, McKinnie was an underperforming player, but still a player we should have kept. I don't want to relive that.

If we're all going to complain about the O-line (which we do, and we should) we can't complain when the team pours a bunch of money into that position to see what options are best. The amount of money we're gambling with (or wasting on players who won't stick around, if you prefer to look at it that way) is a temporary problem to try to bring around a more permanent solution.

I believe if we want to find out if Teddy is the answer and we want Adrian to wreak havoc, it's a necessary evil. Out of all the things we can complain about, being in cap trouble hasn't been one of them in a very long time, and even with the insane amount of money we're using in the O-line right now, we still aren't as tight to the cap as many other teams.

I'm not crazy about all of our options, but as many others have pointed out, competent O-line play is becoming rare in today's NFL. Good players aren't easy to find, and I think the Vikings are giving themselves the best opportunity to improve that they possibly can heading into the draft.

I just want to clarify that I'm not complaining about wasting some of this years cap space on O-Linemen who won't play. I'm advocating that they embrace wasting that money if the competition bears it out. I would assume that to get guys into these 1 year deals, most of them are guaranteed a solid amount this year. Whether its Smith's 3.5 or Kalils 11 doesn't matter to me.

I'm not suggesting they cut Kalil because of his salary, but that if he is outperformed in camp, they better not keep him because of his salary, or they are making a mockery of themselves. Admittedly, that particular scenario is unlikely, but it illustrates the point most clearly because Kalil is making the most $.

Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:09 am
All Pro Elite Player

I thinking maybe they will maybe trade a lineman or 2 for picks. Harris had interests in him before we signed him to a 1 year deal. Could there maybe some interest in Fusco or Berger?
Honestly I don't know who they would cut or trade.

Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:45 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

halfgiz wrote:
I thinking maybe they will maybe trade a lineman or 2 for picks. Harris had interests in him before we signed him to a 1 year deal. Could there maybe some interest in Fusco or Berger?
Honestly I don't know who they would cut or trade.

I can never remember where I hear this stuff once a couple weeks go by, but Spielman was interviewed by somebody and specifically mentioned trading some of these guys as a possibility before they cut down to the final 53.

Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:08 pm
Commissioner

Quote:
Zimmer on Bridgewater: "I do hope that he becomes a little bit more explosive in some of the things we're doing." But it's not all on him.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:22 pm
Commissioner

Quote:
Is there still room for Chad Greenway? Zimmer: "Yeah, I think there is. I would expect his role to be similar to what it has been." #Vikings

Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:22 pm
All Pro Elite Player

dead_poet wrote:
Quote:
Is there still room for Chad Greenway? Zimmer: "Yeah, I think there is. I would expect his role to be similar to what it has been." #Vikings

if there is room for him, why he still hasn't signed. He is pretty much the last one.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:48 am
Hall of Famer

halfgiz wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Quote:

if there is room for him, why he still hasn't signed. He is pretty much the last one.

Well Rick had a price in mind for Greenway, and $12.00 an hour must not be enough. :lol:

Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:58 am
Commissioner

Some Zimmer quotes coming...

Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:47 am
Commissioner

Quote:
Zimmer on Vikings defense: 'I don't think we're very good, to be honest with you.' Good in spurts, he says.

Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:47 am
Defensive Tackle

dead_poet wrote:
Quote:
Zimmer on Vikings defense: 'I don't think we're very good, to be honest with you.' Good in spurts, he says.

... and people think my criticisms are harsh! ;)

I see what he means though. He clearly wants that defense to be great.

Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:43 am
Commissioner

Quote:
Zimmer on Walsh "I don’t know that I need to build his confidence but I’m going to make sure I don’t need to build his confidence." #Vikings

Quote:
Zimmer said #Vikings would ease Walsh back into kicking routine during OTAs; keep 60-yard attempts on back burner after 27-yard playoff miss

Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 701 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next