2016 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mike Zimmer says the Vikings' top priority this offseason was to fix the offensive line. He said it was the only group last season that didn't have a tough-minded approach. All positions will be in competition.
Zimmer "I feel every other position group on our football team has a tough-minded personality. I don’t know that our O-line did" #vikings
Zimmer on Andre Smith: "He’s got experience. I like having 1st-round picks that leave other places because they have pedigrees" #Vikings
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2016 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes,

Post by dead_poet »

Mike Zimmer said he texted Adrian Peterson and Teddy Bridgewater after the Vikings signed Alex Boone and Andre Smith to help the offensive line. Part of the text: "No more excuses."
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:
I hope he's right. I'm not that optimistic about the offensive line yet.

I wonder if the guys from last year will come in with a chip on their shoulder after getting publicly called out for a lack of mental toughness.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Zimmer said Smith "possibly" could compete with Kalil at LT "I just want to get as many bodies in there and let them fight it out." #Vikings
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Oh so he noticed.
Zimmer said Smith "possibly" could compete with Kalil at LT "I just want to get as many bodies in there and let them fight it out." #Vikings
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Zimmer said Sullivan regaining strength, Loadholt progressing in weight room. Still pre-contact: "I think they’ll be ready but I don’t know"
On John Sullivan, Zimmer said he’s seen him in weight room recently and is hoping for best. Far from certain, tho.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

For Jim:
Zimmer on CP:It’s really time for him to prove it now. If he wants to be something other than a returner this is the year he has to do it."
Zimmer on CP:"I don’t think he was really ready when he came into NFL (to be) a really good pro football player. He’s right on the fence."
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Zimmer isn't banging drum for another marquee WR. Says in-house group can play better, better OL play will help Bridgewater improve #Vikings
Zimmer: "I think that if we fix this one area (OL) I think it’s going to help (Bridgewater) a lot more than getting a WR in here." #Vikings
#shotsfired?
Zimmer: "We had WR here that was making a lot of $ that didn’t do what we needed. I don’t know that it’s a necessity to go sign another WR."
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Zimmer prefaced that last quote saying "want to get into that Bridgewater and Wallace deal" but tossed the grenade anyway. #Vikings
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Training camp gonna be funnn
From what Mike Zimmer said, there is 1 clear starter on #Vikings OL: Alex Boone. LT Matt Kalil’s $11M salary makes him likely but not given.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Zimmer saying all the right things. :banana:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Zimmer self-criticism: "I could still do a better job with the offense and the special teams. I still spend a ton of time with the defense."
Zimmer on relinquishing defensive play calling: "It’s kind of my baby and it’s hard to give up. I don’t want to be a CEO. That’s not me."
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Zimmer on #Vikings balancing shotgun/backfield carries for AP: "We’ve talked about ways to innovate with how we can marry that together."
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:
How about direct snapping to Adrian on those, remove that hitch with the hand off that seems to screw up his timing.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:
Did Rick Spielman text Zimmer and Norv Turner the same thing in regard to the offense? :evil:
dead_poet wrote:
Sheesh, just how good does Zimmer consider Smith? He's an upgrade over Clemmings but he's struggled in Cincy the past two years. I doubt he'd be able to out-perform Kalil on the left side. It's good that Zimmer want to encourage competition though (let's see more at QB, Mike!)
dead_poet wrote:For Jim:
Thanks, DP.

Of course Patterson wasn't ready when he came into the league. Everyone knew that.

I hope being "right on the fence" and the tweet about the in-house group of WRs playing better is an indication that Patterson was actually getting sufficient practice time and making real progress with Stewart last year.

I can't help wondering if a comment like "I don’t know that it’s a necessity to go sign another WR" is a pre-draft smokescreen.