2016 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: 2016 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes,

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:Vikings’ Brandon Fusco hopes to move back to right guard

http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/16/vi ... ght-guard/
HardcoreVikesFan hopes Fusco gets cut.

What a waste of 4 million on the cap.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: HardcoreVikesFan hopes Fusco gets cut.

What a waste of 4 million on the cap.
It seems almost inevitable that someone will be cut who is a waste of X$ on the cap. If they bring in this many players and then just keep the guys with the highest cap number on this years books so that their salary isn't wasted, this approach to solving the OL problem will have been VERY foolish. If they aren't prepared for even the remote possibility that Matt Kalil is out performed, and therefore, willing to cut him, then they are really goofing around, and they may as well cut some of these other players now.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Yeah, its sounds to me like they are goofing around. Or more likely made a few mistakes in a row. Looking more and more like Zimmer is human.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

One of these frontrunner RTs will be cut. At least one of Sullivan/Harris/Fusco will be cut. The money is tied up right now, but it's worth it to have the options and pay a small penalty in guaranteed salary (not the full contract number) by opening day.

Kalil's contract is fully guaranteed if I'm not mistaken, so he'll be around. But again, with our current cap situation it is worth it to have some kind of option at LT even if we use our first rounder on one. As a matter of fact, I would much rather overpay for Kalil than be caught with our pants down the way we were after releasing McKinnie. Remember how much everyone hated him until Charlie Johnson had to start? Then all of a sudden, McKinnie was an underperforming player, but still a player we should have kept. I don't want to relive that.

If we're all going to complain about the O-line (which we do, and we should) we can't complain when the team pours a bunch of money into that position to see what options are best. The amount of money we're gambling with (or wasting on players who won't stick around, if you prefer to look at it that way) is a temporary problem to try to bring around a more permanent solution.

I believe if we want to find out if Teddy is the answer and we want Adrian to wreak havoc, it's a necessary evil. Out of all the things we can complain about, being in cap trouble hasn't been one of them in a very long time, and even with the insane amount of money we're using in the O-line right now, we still aren't as tight to the cap as many other teams.

I'm not crazy about all of our options, but as many others have pointed out, competent O-line play is becoming rare in today's NFL. Good players aren't easy to find, and I think the Vikings are giving themselves the best opportunity to improve that they possibly can heading into the draft.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

DK Sweets wrote:One of these frontrunner RTs will be cut. At least one of Sullivan/Harris/Fusco will be cut. The money is tied up right now, but it's worth it to have the options and pay a small penalty in guaranteed salary (not the full contract number) by opening day.

Kalil's contract is fully guaranteed if I'm not mistaken, so he'll be around. But again, with our current cap situation it is worth it to have some kind of option at LT even if we use our first rounder on one. As a matter of fact, I would much rather overpay for Kalil than be caught with our pants down the way we were after releasing McKinnie. Remember how much everyone hated him until Charlie Johnson had to start? Then all of a sudden, McKinnie was an underperforming player, but still a player we should have kept. I don't want to relive that.

If we're all going to complain about the O-line (which we do, and we should) we can't complain when the team pours a bunch of money into that position to see what options are best. The amount of money we're gambling with (or wasting on players who won't stick around, if you prefer to look at it that way) is a temporary problem to try to bring around a more permanent solution.

I believe if we want to find out if Teddy is the answer and we want Adrian to wreak havoc, it's a necessary evil. Out of all the things we can complain about, being in cap trouble hasn't been one of them in a very long time, and even with the insane amount of money we're using in the O-line right now, we still aren't as tight to the cap as many other teams.

I'm not crazy about all of our options, but as many others have pointed out, competent O-line play is becoming rare in today's NFL. Good players aren't easy to find, and I think the Vikings are giving themselves the best opportunity to improve that they possibly can heading into the draft.
I just want to clarify that I'm not complaining about wasting some of this years cap space on O-Linemen who won't play. I'm advocating that they embrace wasting that money if the competition bears it out. I would assume that to get guys into these 1 year deals, most of them are guaranteed a solid amount this year. Whether its Smith's 3.5 or Kalils 11 doesn't matter to me.

I'm not suggesting they cut Kalil because of his salary, but that if he is outperformed in camp, they better not keep him because of his salary, or they are making a mockery of themselves. Admittedly, that particular scenario is unlikely, but it illustrates the point most clearly because Kalil is making the most $.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I thinking maybe they will maybe trade a lineman or 2 for picks. Harris had interests in him before we signed him to a 1 year deal. Could there maybe some interest in Fusco or Berger?
Honestly I don't know who they would cut or trade.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

halfgiz wrote:I thinking maybe they will maybe trade a lineman or 2 for picks. Harris had interests in him before we signed him to a 1 year deal. Could there maybe some interest in Fusco or Berger?
Honestly I don't know who they would cut or trade.
I can never remember where I hear this stuff once a couple weeks go by, but Spielman was interviewed by somebody and specifically mentioned trading some of these guys as a possibility before they cut down to the final 53.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Zimmer on Bridgewater: "I do hope that he becomes a little bit more explosive in some of the things we're doing." But it's not all on him.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Is there still room for Chad Greenway? Zimmer: "Yeah, I think there is. I would expect his role to be similar to what it has been." #Vikings
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

dead_poet wrote:
if there is room for him, why he still hasn't signed. He is pretty much the last one.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

halfgiz wrote: if there is room for him, why he still hasn't signed. He is pretty much the last one.
Well Rick had a price in mind for Greenway, and $12.00 an hour must not be enough. :lol:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Some Zimmer quotes coming...
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Zimmer on Vikings defense: 'I don't think we're very good, to be honest with you.' Good in spurts, he says.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:
... and people think my criticisms are harsh! ;)

I see what he means though. He clearly wants that defense to be great.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Zimmer on Walsh "I don’t know that I need to build his confidence but I’m going to make sure I don’t need to build his confidence." #Vikings
Zimmer said #Vikings would ease Walsh back into kicking routine during OTAs; keep 60-yard attempts on back burner after 27-yard playoff miss