2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transactions)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
halfgiz
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1766
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by halfgiz » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:57 pm

Plenty of speculation already about whether the #Vikings could go after Christine Michael.

User avatar
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2360
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 am
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by PacificNorseWest » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:33 pm

halfgiz wrote:Plenty of speculation already about whether the #Vikings could go after Christine Michael.
Seen plenty of him to know he's no answer...Not to mention that the RB spot isn't the issue. Not sure what people don't understand. Every one of their RB's are serviceable, if not more (looking at McKinnon here), but lest we forget that even in the small sample we saw with Peterson in game 1, this team could have ______ (insert your opinion of the most dominant RB ever) as their RB and it probably won't matter a whole lot. The Vikings just cannot block. Pretty much clear as day to me.

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37379
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by Mothman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:58 pm

Vikings Sign Tackle Rashod Hill, Place Jake Long on IR
The Vikings on Tuesday announced they have signed tackle Rashod Hill and placed Jake Long on injured reserve.

Hill, who joined Jacksonville as a rookie free agent in May, was signed off the Jaguars practice squad to Minnesota’s 53-man roster. He spent one game this season on the active roster of his hometown team but did not play against Baltimore.

User avatar
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6624
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by HardcoreVikesFan » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:11 am

halfgiz wrote:Plenty of speculation already about whether the #Vikings could go after Christine Michael.
With what cap room exactly? I would rather just give Ronnie Hillman a chance.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.

autobon7
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1030
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by autobon7 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:29 am

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: With what cap room exactly? I would rather just give Ronnie Hillman a chance.
I would love to see Hillman get more touches.....could be a good thing.

User avatar
halfgiz
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1766
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by halfgiz » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:09 am

autobon7 wrote: I would love to see Hillman get more touches.....could be a good thing.
That quote was from Chris Tomasson on Christine Michael.
I agree Hillman or CJ Ham is who I would like to see. Ham as a short yardage back.

User avatar
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 856
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Christine Michael

Post by Norv Zimmer » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:14 am

The Seahawks just cut him, I for one think he would be a upgrade to our craptastic running game. I wonder how long it would take him to get a hold of the system.

User avatar
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2360
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 am
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by PacificNorseWest » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:15 pm

Seriously, guys...Christine Micheal is nothing special. Michael needs clear holes to run through in order to be just minimally effective and the Vikings Oline cannot provide that. Hillman is much better.

User avatar
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 856
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by Norv Zimmer » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:50 pm

PacificNorseWest wrote:Seriously, guys...Christine Micheal is nothing special. Michael needs clear holes to run through in order to be just minimally effective and the Vikings Oline cannot provide that. Hillman is much better.
He was running behind Seattles terrible O line, I think it is almost as bad as ours and he did pretty good for them.

I agree I would like to see CJ ham in the game for short yardage instead of Asiata, that dude is like a little bowling ball.

User avatar
halfgiz
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1766
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by halfgiz » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:11 pm

halfgiz wrote:Plenty of speculation already about whether the #Vikings could go after Christine Michael.
Packers have claimed RB Christine Michael off waivers, source says.
1:17 PM - 16 Nov 2016



#Vikings did put in a waiver claim for Christine Michael but Packers got him since they have a worse record. twitter.com/christomasson/…

User avatar
Grashopa
Franchise Player
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:03 am

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by Grashopa » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:21 am

I agree with many that Christine Michael wouldn't have helped our running game very much since our problems start at the OL. But he is going to big upgrade for the Packers and i expect he will be well acclimated by the time we go to Lambeau. Oh well.
Formerly AADPFan

Jordysghost
Packers Suck
Posts: 2992
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by Jordysghost » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:09 am

Grashopa wrote:I agree with many that Christine Michael wouldn't have helped our running game very much since our problems start at the OL. But he is going to big upgrade for the Packers and i expect he will be well acclimated by the time we go to Lambeau. Oh well.
A big upgrade over the practice squad scrubs we have been trotting out recently, but hopefully he doesnt take too many carries away from a returning Starks.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5277
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:06 am

Grashopa wrote:I agree with many that Christine Michael wouldn't have helped our running game very much since our problems start at the OL. But he is going to big upgrade for the Packers and i expect he will be well acclimated by the time we go to Lambeau. Oh well.
Disagree completely. As someone said above, he ran very well behind the next worse line in the NFL in Seattle. That line is so bad it could give us a run for our money. Michael is a fast, straight line runner that is elusive and has good vision (unlike Asiata) and hits the hole at full speed (unlike McKinnon). Granted the line isnt helping our cause but does anyone believe that even behind Dallas' line, Matt Asiata could run for 100 and a TD....no. Absolutely not. The guy has no right being an NFL RB. And Mckinnon just doesnt have the downhill running style that is required to be a workhorse. I've said all along that Hillman needs to see more action. I want to puke more and more when I see Asiata run the ball
Image

User avatar
Grashopa
Franchise Player
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:03 am

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by Grashopa » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:58 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Michael is a fast, straight line runner that is elusive and has good vision (unlike Asiata) and hits the hole at full speed (unlike McKinnon)
The very same description could be used to describe Peterson, who also struggled mightily behind our O-line when it was at its healthiest. Havent you been watching the games this season? all of our backs no matter if they are future hall of famers, Superbowl champions or nicknamed "Jet" are getting hit in the back field or running into piles of bodies where the hole should be. It looks like an O-line problem to me. Put any of our backs behind the Dallas line where they can run through gaping holes and not even get touched until they are 3-5 yards downfield and see how they look... probably more Elliot like.

My main point was that Michael will be a much bigger improvement over the packers bottom of the barrel RBs than he would be over our stable of otherwise good RBs
Formerly AADPFan

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5277
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:58 pm

Grashopa wrote: The very same description could be used to describe Peterson, who also struggled mightily behind our O-line when it was at its healthiest. Havent you been watching the games this season? all of our backs no matter if they are future hall of famers, Superbowl champions or nicknamed "Jet" are getting hit in the back field or running into piles of bodies where the hole should be. It looks like an O-line problem to me. Put any of our backs behind the Dallas line where they can run through gaping holes and not even get touched until they are 3-5 yards downfield and see how they look... probably more Elliot like.

My main point was that Michael will be a much bigger improvement over the packers bottom of the barrel RBs than he would be over our stable of otherwise good RBs
But they aren't losing yards nearly as much as they were in the beginning of the season. I admitted the line is awful. But our RBs aren't getting tackled in the backfield nearly as much as they were. We have a combination of a fullback in Asiata and somebody thats overly patient in McKinnon. They couldn't hit hole if it was the size of a bus. We have nobody with any kind of elusiveness and speed to hit the line. Asiata hits it 100 mph but has no clue where he's going and McKinnon stops and sits. How is it possible for Seattles line to be so bad and Michael running as good as he was? It doesnt add up. Anytime Hillman has been in, he's been getting positive yards for the most part. Nobody else is and Hillman is a average to below average back but has the right running style. The other two don't. Michael wouldnt fix this running game completely, but I could see him making it a lot better. Thats why I'm baffled that Asiata continues to run the ball and Hillman doesnt.
Image

User avatar
Grashopa
Franchise Player
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:03 am

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by Grashopa » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:27 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:But they aren't losing yards nearly as much as they were in the beginning of the season. I admitted the line is awful. But our RBs aren't getting tackled in the backfield nearly as much as they were. We have a combination of a fullback in Asiata and somebody thats overly patient in McKinnon. They couldn't hit hole if it was the size of a bus. We have nobody with any kind of elusiveness and speed to hit the line. Asiata hits it 100 mph but has no clue where he's going and McKinnon stops and sits. How is it possible for Seattles line to be so bad and Michael running as good as he was? It doesnt add up. Anytime Hillman has been in, he's been getting positive yards for the most part. Nobody else is and Hillman is a average to below average back but has the right running style. The other two don't. Michael wouldnt fix this running game completely, but I could see him making it a lot better. Thats why I'm baffled that Asiata continues to run the ball and Hillman doesnt.
I am a lurker for the most part, so you haven't heard much from me, but i have read a lot from you, and typically i agree with a lot of what you write, but this time i have to disagree and i feel that you are way off. Mckinnon and Asiata filled in nicely for Peterson a couple years ago and Hillman is coming off of a super bowl winning season in which he contributed a lot. I just cant see how RB is the issue here. I am not saying the Michael wouldn't be a slight upgrade in talent but the main issue with our running game is the O-line and to a lesser extent, play calling.

My original comment was that he is going to be a much bigger upgrade for GB was based on the fact that GB is lacking in RB talent right now. He is going to have more success in GB than he would here.
Formerly AADPFan

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5277
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:12 pm

Grashopa wrote: I am a lurker for the most part, so you haven't heard much from me, but i have read a lot from you, and typically i agree with a lot of what you write, but this time i have to disagree and i feel that you are way off. Mckinnon and Asiata filled in nicely for Peterson a couple years ago and Hillman is coming off of a super bowl winning season in which he contributed a lot. I just cant see how RB is the issue here. I am not saying the Michael wouldn't be a slight upgrade in talent but the main issue with our running game is the O-line and to a lesser extent, play calling.

My original comment was that he is going to be a much bigger upgrade for GB was based on the fact that GB is lacking in RB talent right now. He is going to have more success in GB than he would here.
And again, I'm not denying how bad our line is due to injuries. However, Matt Asiata did not fill in nicely as few years ago. He averaged 3.5 per carry which is pretty pathetic if you ask me. Yeah he scored 9 tds but I think just about every one was from the goal line. If you gave Zach Line that many carries from the goal line he would score just as much or more. Just because he had 9 touchdowns doesn't mean he filled in nicely. McKinnon played well but couldn't stay healthy.

Bottom line is, yes our line is terrible but our RBs aren't much better. Especially Asiata who's sadly getting the most carries out of anyone for whatever stupid reason. Asiata is an absolute dud and McKinnon is nothing but a 3rd down back. Michael provides a little bit of everything and isn't one dimensional like the guys we have. I would really like to see a young solid RB in there and see what happens. This could be Dallas' line and Asiata wouldn't be able to average over 4.0 YPC.
Image

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11224
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by S197 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:12 pm

This is a thread about Free Agency, please move the discussion to the appropriate area. Thank you.

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5277
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:52 pm

S197 wrote:This is a thread about Free Agency, please move the discussion to the appropriate area. Thank you.
With all do respect, our argument pertains to how Christine Michael would or wouldnt improve our run game which technically had to do with free agency
Image

Alaskan
Backup
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:47 pm

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by Alaskan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:52 am

Grashopa wrote: I am a lurker for the most part, so you haven't heard much from me, but i have read a lot from you, and typically i agree with a lot of what you write, but this time i have to disagree and i feel that you are way off. Mckinnon and Asiata filled in nicely for Peterson a couple years ago and Hillman is coming off of a super bowl winning season in which he contributed a lot. I just cant see how RB is the issue here. I am not saying the Michael wouldn't be a slight upgrade in talent but the main issue with our running game is the O-line and to a lesser extent, play calling

My original comment was that he is going to be a much bigger upgrade for GB was based on the fact that GB is lacking in RB talent right now. He is going to have more success in GB than he would here.
Well stated Grashopa. The upgrade is slight at best......if any at all. Also, he doesn't know the system! The protections! He would be a liability initially really. Our protection is bad enough already without throwing more variable in the mix. Best off waiting for AP to return, we will get an upgrade then.

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5277
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:32 pm

Alaskan wrote: Well stated Grashopa. The upgrade is slight at best......if any at all. Also, he doesn't know the system! The protections! He would be a liability initially really. Our protection is bad enough already without throwing more variable in the mix. Best off waiting for AP to return, we will get an upgrade then.
Well it's no different than Ronnie Hillman. Just because you sign a guy doesnt mean you have to plug him in the lineup day 1. Like I said, he's the type of back we currently don't have which is why I think he could've helped this running game. Not completely turn it around but he would definitely help it
Image

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by Nunin » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:08 am

i believe the only thing you can definitively say about Michael is that he's a Packer.

User avatar
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2360
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 am
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by PacificNorseWest » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:51 am

Nunin wrote:i believe the only thing you can definitively say about Michael is that he's a Packer.

Yep...#### him.


:lol:

User avatar
halfgiz
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1766
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by halfgiz » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:34 pm

@ GoesslingESPN
Minneapolis
The Vikings waived running back Ronnie Hillman, and signed defensive end Stephen Weatherly to the active roster.

User avatar
halfgiz
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1766
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by halfgiz » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:34 pm

#Vikings add RB Bishop Sankey, a former second-round pick of the Titans, to their practice squad.

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5277
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:07 pm

halfgiz wrote:#Vikings add RB Bishop Sankey, a former second-round pick of the Titans, to their practice squad.
Smart move to at least store someone on the p-squad since we had to dump hillman. Don't think he'll ever do much though
Image

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8358
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by PurpleKoolaid » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:55 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Smart move to at least store someone on the p-squad since we had to dump hillman. Don't think he'll ever do much though
Im starting to wonder if Hillman would have been better to keep around then McKinnon (or even Asiata). And I doubt we ever see Sankey playing. The more games I see with Mckinnnon and Asiata, the more I dont like either.

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18383
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by PurpleMustReign » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:21 pm

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Im starting to wonder if Hillman would have been better to keep around then McKinnon (or even Asiata). And I doubt we ever see Sankey playing. The more games I see with Mckinnnon and Asiata, the more I dont like either.

Now people are seeing what many of the rest of us saw at the beginning of the year. The running game is not AD's fault, it is the hrorific OL that we trot out each day. If the Vikings don't spend their first three picks on an OL I will be very disappointed.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8358
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by PurpleKoolaid » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:40 am

Im not sure how salaries work, cap space, at all that, but i dont see us keeping AD. We have too many bills and not enough talent. Just thinking of AD not being a Viking is sad, but I think next year is going to be a rebuild year, with Bradford as vet until whatever rookie can play. Maybe the Eagles or Cowboys could pick that QB for us.

User avatar
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by Texas Vike » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:47 pm

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Now people are seeing what many of the rest of us saw at the beginning of the year. The running game is not AD's fault, it is the hrorific OL that we trot out each day. If the Vikings don't spend their first three picks on an OL I will be very disappointed.

I honestly think that we should draft OL exclusively this year. I know that sounds ridiculous, but that's just how bad we are at that position and how crippling it's been for us.

Post Reply