2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transactions)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote: I don't want either of them...
Greenway is a lot more valuable than some may think
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Greenway is a lot more valuable than some may think
I don't disagree, but why do you say that?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:
I don't disagree, but why do you say that?
From a leadership standpoint and his ability to fill in when needed this year. Both Zimmer and Spielman have mentioned it as well. They both said he is a very valuable leader and played well when guys like Barr and Kendricks were hurt and he was forced into more action
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: From a leadership standpoint and his ability to fill in when needed this year. Both Zimmer and Spielman have mentioned it as well. They both said he is a very valuable leader and played well when guys like Barr and Kendricks were hurt and he was forced into more action
Ok, I agree with that. I just wondered if you meant more on the field or in terms of leadership. I like his leadership and if he is willing to backup that's awesome.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I'll just leave this here.

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

dead_poet wrote:I'll just leave this here.

What does that mean?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Norv Zimmer wrote: What does that mean?
Translated: Jarius Wright seems to be reaching out to Illoka regarding looking at the Vikings as a possible team to join should he hit free agency. The response from Illoka is a bit more cryptic but it seems to say "I'm looking" or "The grass is greener" or "That might be what the wind blows" or "I see you." Something along those lines. At the very least Wright seems to want Illoka to consider the Vikings. Without a doubt Illoka will consider an offer from Rick, should one be extended. For the first time in a while there's a lot to be excited about for free agents: from a young, winning team to a "players coach" (whom Illoka is familiar with) to a new stadium/possible new practice facilities, etc. Climate remains one of the only things that is hard to compete with other clubs, but there's little that can be done about that. Provided the money is right, wearing Purple would have to be more appealing than it has in awhile.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

George Iloka’s Free Agent Fit with the Vikings

http://vikingsterritory.com/2016/analys ... it-vikings
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote: Translated: Jarius Wright seems to be reaching out to Illoka regarding looking at the Vikings as a possible team to join should he hit free agency. The response from Illoka is a bit more cryptic but it seems to say "I'm looking" or "The grass is greener" or "That might be what the wind blows" or "I see you." Something along those lines. At the very least Wright seems to want Illoka to consider the Vikings. Without a doubt Illoka will consider an offer from Rick, should one be extended. For the first time in a while there's a lot to be excited about for free agents: from a young, winning team to a "players coach" (whom Illoka is familiar with) to a new stadium/possible new practice facilities, etc. Climate remains one of the only things that is hard to compete with other clubs, but there's little that can be done about that. Provided the money is right, wearing Purple would have to be more appealing than it has in awhile.
I think climate and taxes are the big negatives for most potential FAs.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I wonder how much of the climate thing is hype?

If you think about it, they don't have to be year in February unless they go to the SB. They might be here in January, but again, that is only if they make the playoffs. Last year was the final game outdoors (sadly) at home, so they are not going to be playing frozen tundra style any time soon.

So are 40s and 50s in October/November that terrible? I guess December can get cold, but it usually isn't sub-zero.

Then again, if you are from S. Florida it is another thing entirely My friend comes up here in August from Miami and he wears a sweater. LOL.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

If we get a big FA deal, I hope its a tackle or Guard.

We need a line to give Teddy more time.

We need a line to punch a hole for AD.

The D can take care of itself already. Very little needs to be added. BUT alot is going to be dropped by next year to keep the studs in. If we grab another bust FA WR, Im going to scream.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

2016 free agency: Top 99 available players...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... le-players
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:If we get a big FA deal, I hope its a tackle or Guard.

We need a line to give Teddy more time.

We need a line to punch a hole for AD.

The D can take care of itself already. Very little needs to be added. BUT alot is going to be dropped by next year to keep the studs in. If we grab another bust FA WR, Im going to scream.
Gotta see whats out there when March 9th hits. I was thinking it was a sure thing that we were going to sign Clint Boling from Cincy. Especially after I heard we were inquiring about him and then Cincy signs him back in no time. Ill be interested to see who's actually left out there for offensive lineman
-Chazz Palminteri
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Wallace and Vikings Discussing Pay Cut
That would be wide receiver Mike Wallace, who has a hefty $11.5 million cap figure for this season and one year left on his contract. According to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report. . .yes, I know. . .Wallace and the Vikings were going to sit down and discuss the possibility of bringing Wallace back at a lower cap figure.
Source: Daily Norseman
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I love free agency. It is such an exciting time every year. With free agency one week away (unbelievable to me), I figured I would list the players who I would like to see the team sign. I encourage others to do the same. It would be interesting to see who others view as desirable players.

My FA Wish-list:
- Vernon Davis (TE) - I wanted to start out with an unrealistic player to sign. I have ALWAYS been a huge Vernon Davis fan. I feel he would have success in this team's offensive system.

- Mitchell Schwartz (OT) - This guy has always had my respect. He is a good player. Unfortunately, he will command a large salary on the open market.

- Geoff Schwartz (OG) - I never understood why we let this guy go in the first place. He was clearly the better guard when the team had Fusco and Charlie Johnson starting. He would bring competition to the guard position if nothing else. Bonus: Sign both Schwartz brothers - live by the great Yogurt's quote: "May the Schwartz be with you!"

- Jeff Allen (OG) - Underrated guard who has good upside and athleticism.

- Derrick Shelby (DE) - Depth purposes at defensive end.

- Kevin Williams (DT) - Bring him back to sign a contract to retire as a Viking!!!

- Vinny Ray (OLB) - A one-year deal for competition purposes at OLB.

- DeMeco Ryans (MLB) - Depth signing behind Eric Kendricks.

- Charles James II (CB) - The star of Hard Knocks. However, this guy can play. I would love the team to sign him for competition purposes.

- TaShaun Gipson, Mark Barron, Tyvon Branch, George Iloka (SS) - I included all of these guys together. I understand this team is not going to break the bank this offseason. However, I strongly believe that the team should AT LEAST spend 'big' on a SS. Any one of these players would immediately benefit the defense. Moreover, I personally believe each of these players are very good players. The most expensive of the group will be Gipson. Iloka will be pricey too. Don't sleep on TyVon Branch - this dude used to be a top-notch SS in Oakland. I have always been a Mark Barron fan - he definitely can lay the wood.

There is my free agency wish-list - what is your's?
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.