2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transactions)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Funkytown wrote:
I am going to vomit... :puke:
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Hear incentives high on Sendejo's new deal. In other words, they can still pursue a safety. Sendejo good backup plan if miss out. #vikings
I wonder how much of the $16M is in Unlikely To Be Earned incentives. If a sizable portion, then won't count against cap.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

:lol:

Faith in Zimmer's vision for his defense sure disappeared in a hurry once people saw that contract number for Sendejo.

As the tweets Dead_Poet posted suggest, a sizable portion of that $16 million may not be guaranteed and it's the guaranteed money that matters. The rest is basically window dressing at this point.

Edit: I see PA is thinking along similar lines:
Paul Allen ‏@PAOnTheMic 23m23 minutes ago
Neat how people love Zim's work w/ #Vikings def. yet get pissy when he signs off on parameters of Sendejo deal. He wins benefit of doubt
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

That is kind of a surprise...I thought he would be gone with Blanton.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Vikings re-signed DT Kenrick Ellis to a one-year contract.
Ellis appeared in nine games with Minnesota after his release from the Giants. He'll add run-stopping depth behind Sharrif Floyd, Linval Joseph, and Tom Johnson. 28-year-old Ellis isn't guaranteed a spot on the 53-man roster.
Good re-sign. I thought Ellis was a decent mid-year find by us. Provides some good depth
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

What did he do last season exactly?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Filled in at times when Joseph was out. Johnson started but Ellis played some decent snaps. I liked what I saw when he was in there
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Darren Wolfson ‏@DWolfsonKSTP 2h2 hours ago
Darren Wolfson Retweeted Rick Hartmann
Re: Sendejo - would take a miracle for him to see $16M. He's a capable backup plan & good on special teams. #vikings
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Sendejo was rated 78th out of 88 safety's last year. I hope this deal doesn't prevent the Vikes from pursuing IIoka.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

halfgiz wrote:Sendejo was rated 78th out of 88 safety's last year. I hope this deal doesn't prevent the Vikes from pursuing IIoka.
That's my fear too. I am surprised at this deal, but am very curious to see the details.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:
I really hope they still go after Iloka... That would be really disappointing if they don't.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I really hope they still go after Iloka... That would be really disappointing if they don't.
I'm not sure if they intended to in the first place. I guess we'll see but paying him free-agent-in-demand money on top of getting Smith a new contract could result in a LOT of money invested at safety. Maybe they're willing to do that but it's possible the re-signing of Sendejo is an indication they intend to draft a safety.

We'll know soon enough. If they want Iloka, I imagine they'll go after him pretty aggressively.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: That's my fear too. I am surprised at this deal, but am very curious to see the details.
If its $1M per year with a $3M bonus if he's All Pro (with 1 year guaranteed) then I can accept it . Anything more will be disappointing! :D
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

So much info on this thread but, how in the heck does Sendejo get that kind of money? He is the worse safety if ive seen. It would be better to put the time into trying to teach Exum or Blanton more right now. Did Zimmer, Norv and Rick have collective brain farts?

I guess that mean no top og the line safety for the Vikings. Again. Every frigging year.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Heck with Sendejo back you have to be pretty worried about our own players safety.
He put some pretty good hits on a few of our own players last season. :rofl: